My Blog List

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Pagan days, pendulum swings

Pagan Holidays are my favorite. Krampus is more god than a mewing child away in a manger. Krampus is "just"- consequences, children, consequences. Like last year, I have decorated the tree with...hay? In keeping with nature and paganism. Although I did put electric lights on the tree rather than open flame...compromise...
 
Scandinavian roots dictate my holiday sensibilities. British roots dictate what to have for our Christmas nosh.

I went to the Garden Spot yesterday offering a special in that the sales would benefit the boys and girls club.

I bought a six foot noble Fir, came home, rearranged furniture to accommodate . Set it up and watered it, A lovely thing, I sat up late in the evening admiring it and apologizing ,  I said," you were chopped down anyway, I am giving you a fabulous send off, you are loved." It held its branches out  and we embraced. Like embracing old
Granny, giving her all and her best in her dying days, love shall not cease.

The house smells like forest.

-0-
Here are a couple of photos I nabbed from "seeing Bellingham group"  We live in beauty!
This is down the road from our house, Fairhaven, and the tracks with a train on them!  Sorry I do not know the photo takers to give them credit.

 


Georgia turned blue, not from the cold, mind you...the Peach state did the right thing, could the pendulum be swinging in positive favor? I am afraid to breathe but it sure feels like Krampus and consequence is spanking the bad children this season. Could it be that , maybe, there might be a bit of justice? *snap*



18 comments:

  1. You know, the last thing about Christmas that I did like was the tree, mostly the light and fragrance of it. But I just can't bring myself to have one. In all of my "bad house" dreams where I find myself surrounded by endless laundry and rotting food filling up decrepit refrigerators, there is always a Christmas tree, months and months (a year) past needing to be taken down.
    I may be crazy.
    But thank you for sharing yours. I will imagine its heavenly scent.
    I feel like Warnock saved democracy. At least for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, Warnock did for now. Whew. Your dream is legit! I have seen it on Hoarders...Fire hazard -old- tree somewhere in the mix.

      Delete
    2. I think for me it's just another thing that I have to do- take down the Christmas tree that everyone enjoyed. Like having clean towels and fresh food. But it definitely has a symbolic meaning.

      Delete
  2. Your tree looks wonderful. I'm wondering now just how Scandinavian my Christmases might have been if Mum hadn't packed up and left. I remember a tradition of shoes on a windowsill, to be filled with sweets if we had been good, or left empty if we hadn't.
    The area photos of the lights and train are lovely. I'm glad Georgia turned blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pendulum is definitely swinging. Too many people are sick of Trump and the MAGA shenanigans. Thank God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it only takes a few people to go against a group, using common sense and the words "no way!" to bring them back around to thinking, using their brains instead of their fear of losing poser. Republicans may yet get out from under Maga.

      Delete
  4. I hope you are right about justice. It does feel like we might be on a road to recovery.
    One thing I miss about having a live tree is the smell. I love that smell. I'm glad you hugged that tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the tree is just right! Decorating with hay (straw) is fine because i spritz the tree twice a day.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen or heard about Krampus in a long time! And that tree is perfect. I love the straw ornaments. They're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krampus is not a favorite for most people, he has a gift of diminishing joy and scaring the daylights out of innocents. He is a sort of anti Christmas guy.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic views of the town! I love the idea of decorating the tree with natural things. Here a lot of people keep their tree outside all year in a pot, and bring it back in at Christmas. . Only works with smallish trees though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have done that- but planted the trees, they grew too big and sadly , very sadly were chopped down and tossed into a chipper.(not my idea- the neighbors complained that their "view" was spoiled)I very much like my natural tree.

      Delete
  7. I don't do christmas, not a christian, shed that bullshit in my early 20s but I did love the tree and the outdoor lights. I don't do either because it would be me doing all the work so I just admire other people's efforts. I think I would be disappointed in a tree these days anyway, pruned from sprouting to a perfect cone shape as they are now. Fake. How to turn a living tree into a fake tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've learnt something new - Krampus (although un rhe dim recesses of my mind, he strikes an echo0 Love the train on the snowy tracks - 'proper' winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One mild winter I put the Christmas tree and it's bucket on the back porch after Christmas. It grew roots!!! It is growing somewhere in the back forty. I've had birch twigs root too.

    ReplyDelete