My Blog List

Saturday, December 10, 2022

might get heavy in the end

The lights, the tree. The weather outside - frightful...December behaving just as it ought. Some one said snow today but they are liars.
 
I found some of these bears we made ages ago-  made from dough of flour , glue and cinnamon, Mostly cinnamon , they are still fragrant after all these years! So cinnamony they make me sneeze! We also made chickies but they look more like amoeba  -  will let the trash man have those.- Merry Christmas trash man....

The last of the golden leaves this afternoon. - wind is roaring around the corner and will take them to dead leaf land by morning. 

I have been feeling betrayed/gas lit/ disappointed all day. You know how you have loved some one your whole life or as far back as you can remember and that person does a thing to utterly change it all? Like my Auntie ,for instance, my all time favorite, my mentor in all things good. If given a choice to go to a toy store or to go stay with my Auntie , I would choose her every time. She was magic! She saved a squirrel's life right before my very eyes- A few tiny chest compressions, a little prayer to the Squirrel god, which , I thought, was her god too-  the little squirrel popped his head up , said thank you and Scampered away, to get caught by her cat another day, possibly.

Out of the blue one day while driving through Denver- she honked at some people to hurry up crossing the road and then said the most racist thing I had ever heard, the only racist thing actually,  in a snarling, mean way. WHY did you say those awful things, Auntie, to those people you don't even know, minding their own business??? WTF auntie?I did not really know how to respond so just sat  in my  stupor of WTF-ness.

That did it for me. I divorced her pretty much, from  intense adoration- to confusion - how can this be? From then on I did not believe her - treated her with  suspicion, kids are not stupid.  Where did sweet auntie learn to talk that way and how come? Even more odd is that she was a Christian Science practitioner, the one who guides others , the one who tends to your bedside as you are dying.God's girl! Which also led me to think that  her god was suspect...Right about that one- her god was not the squirrel god after-all.

Lost bearings for evermore - gas lit- oh yes.

Last night Dennis told me  something his brother had done a while back to a family, not only racist but worse, threats were involved- BOOM- there it is again! The most loved/respected/trusted/wonderful person pulls a crapola,  love for him retreats , crawls under the covers and will not come out again, nope... Shocked utterly. Damn, you just never know, especially when you think you do.

Think I'll go huff a cinnamon bear, sneeze a lot.
Sneezes are cathartic without having to actually cry- crying is not allowed. Stiff upper and all that. Damn. You just never know.

17 comments:

  1. I have a neighbour like that, we would spend time talking about anything and everything, then one day the racism reared its head and I was shocked. I also learned she doesn't like children or babies, nor music of any kind, it's all rubbish to her. I rarely visit with her anymore because I'm not sure what I can talk about anymore. In my family we have people of several nationalities, we have babies and we all love music. I read fiction, she says it is all rubbish and reads only what she can learn from, educational things. She even doesn't like dancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you ever find anything to talk about, I wonder. Your neighbor is barely alive!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry that you have been handed this shite on a plate and now must once again readjust your world-view. That really sucks. How does Dennis feel about it? Not my business.
    Levon brought over a cinnamon star that he made at preschool. He held it carefully by the ribbon and said, "It is very fragile!" It's now hung in the kitchen where it will probably stay until I die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly and tellingly Dennis was Ok with it- (spectrum, I reckon)-
      You most certainly will keep that cinnamon star until either it crumbles or you crumble , which will be a very long time. They harden as they age so there is that. The bears that survived are rock hard now, The year that they were made - many were fragile indeed.

      Delete
  3. I had a moment like that with Marc's uncle. Family is jewish and Marc married a gentile! I always thought that his uncle liked me well enough, I liked him well enough. And the thing didn't have anything to do with religion but political views. Marc shared some meme on FB I guess and his uncle commented somewhat nastily about how I had poisoned him with my liberal views. Nothing could have been farther from the truth, Marc and I have always been on the same page politically and socially. Completely turned me off on the uncle. I wouldn't even speak to him the next , and last, time I saw him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one switch when switched on- changes everything. no room for bigots /racists/ maga in this house-

      Delete
  4. I can't think of a personal example off the top of my head, but there are several celebrities I once admired who later said or did terrible things. Two come to mind: Jon Voigt, who I loved in "Midnight Cowboy" but is now politically retrograde; and Michelle Shocked, who was a brilliant folk musician until she went on an ant-gay religious tear at a live show. Ugh! DO NOT REVEAL YOUR INNER SELVES TO ME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. changes everything we ever thought about that person, for sure, Seeing their rotten core...

      Delete
  5. Fresca here (my phone insists I’m anon.)
    Do you remember Molly Ivins, the Texan journalist?
    She said that growing up a well-off white girl in segregated Texas, it was such a shock to realize that all the adults in her life were lying to her about race, it changed her views /opened her eyes on everything.

    the wake-up moment she recalled was being told to use the white drinking fountain at the swimming pool because it was cleaner,
    when it visibly and very much was NOT:
    Mostly white kids used the pool and the white drinking fountain was filthy and had gum stuck on it.

    Anyway, yes. #MeToo these awful shocks of ugliness.
    And from someone who would save a squirrel? People be crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. some days, just give me a sword and a basket and call me Judith.

      Delete
    2. some days yes! I will tote your basket for you...

      Delete
  6. Wow, sorry about racist Auntie CS practitioner! I'm thinking now, and can't come up with an example for myself, thankfully. My stepmom-in-law is a pretentious snob, but it was never a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprises are the worst- especially that sort of surprise- no warning just BLAM! the person turns monstrous before your very eyes

      Delete
  7. 37paddington:
    I’m so sorry. It’s emotionally traumatic when people we’ve unabashedly adored topple off their pedestal. I’ve found I can never put the pieces back together again but I don’t regret my eyes being opened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesson- do not adore people- lesson- divorce bigots

      Delete