My Blog List

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Manet, drunk toys and a basement painting

 Manet, toys create art- but just for reference there is this you tube video of what we shall try to achieve with the toys laying around. It is helpful to have had loads of children in the house over the years, I am still finding toys in the recesses, as well as all of the socks that the dryer ate! They are showing up in unusual places, all sizes.

 
I made the bar keeper, Suzon-"The woman at the bar is a real person, known as Suzon, who worked at the Folies-Bergère in the early 1880s. For his painting, Manet posed her in his studio."-  I painted a wooden bead for her head, used pipe cleaner, wool, bead buttons, and embroidery thread for her hair. I had some tattered eyelet hanging around so used that to fancy her up a bit. The theater crowd came from the toys that have lived here since the lad was little. 

The liquor bottles are from the hardware drawer. The only alchoholic drink that Suzon can serve are screw drivers. C'est La vie....

Fresca has great ideas! She will post her Toys Recreating Art on Sunday.

This  morning very early- setting up the toys, It is nearly noon now, and they are all drunk!



Everything collapsed sending G.I Joes to the floor.

Suzon will hang around for a while, makes a good Christmas ornament. Her arms are flexible so she can hang onto shiney bits and bobs to make a festive  looking "angel".


While down in the basement, that is  full of boxes of toys and nonsense, I took a photo of the painting that my Auntie gave me after she moved into smaller digs back in the sixties.


 It takes  up way too much wall! The full length of a sofa! Mid century Paris street scene done by Vine's whomever that is- probably a guy in a shopping mall pumping these out like pop corn - anyway, My Auntie thought I needed some shine in my house as   my aesthetic is earthy and blah- it lives in the basement.  I do appreciate the goppy texture of the oil paint, the relaxed impressionistic style, the swish swoosh of the moody sky. She paid way too much for it back in the day- seems to have appreciated over the years according to DIBS.

Still it looks shopping mall French  to me- I am not a fan.

25 comments:

  1. I could get lost in that "shopping mall French to you" work of art. I'd never tire of it. The composition is clever and intriguing and . . . and all sorts of other good descriptors. I've already made up a story for the red windmill! LOL. This is "bad" art gone good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moulin Rouge. I suppose it is entertaining art- mid century trying to be continental?

      Delete
  2. I love the paintings. I don't think I would hang them on my wall, unless my wall was a museum. They are both beautiful and capture a moment, both of the times and of the expression of artistry then. (I can't comment from my account. This is NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what happened with your account? Blogger is not being friendly to you?

      Delete
    2. I can comment on some blogs, but not others. I don't know why. (NewRobin13)

      Delete
  3. I love the Manet painting for the expression on the barmaids face - as mysterious as the Mona Lisa, you ask me.
    Looks like the old toys had a rip-roaring time together. Screwdrivers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bar keep looks like "maybe i will put revenge in your drink"...Or maybe her feet hurt- dunno. The toys are sleeping it off .

      Delete
  4. Is that one of those $10 starving artist paintings? And no more yard paintings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. loofks like it- but it was very expensive! Go figure....No yard paintings , he ran out.

      Delete
  5. Karen Frances commenting here: The Manet recreation is fab and fun, right up to the dangling legs! I do think it's creative fun that you have so many left-behinds, still lingering into usefulness. (I would think those particular screwdrivers, though, would give the imbiber a right and proper pounding headache.) As for the Paris painting, I like the colors and the lines in reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a generous art critic, Ms. Frances! All of my stuff is put away until after Christmas - I want to find a studio that functions well...any ideas?

      Delete
  6. I like the French shopping mall painting. My parents bought a smaller similar version, if I'm remembering it correctly, when I was somewhere around 10 or so. The barmaid's expression in the Manet is inscrutable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are loads of them on DIBs , a site where you can actually BUY one for a whole bunch of money- Popular in the fifties and early sixties.

      Delete
    2. I just went and looked at 1stDibs - holy crap they're proud of their stuff.

      Delete
  7. It's a very nice painting, but I don't think I would hang it either, even if it was smaller.
    I like your toy recreation very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, now I have another who would not take it out of the basement!

      Delete
  8. Scream of delight!!! Linda Sue, you are a treat, and this recreation is full of fun things---that you GOT THE MIRROR right, to begin with, which takes some doing. (I didn't even try, I confess.)
    That you made your own barmaid in her lacy blue velvet;
    and flowers... and, a favorite detail--the acrobat's feet on the swing above;
    a chandelier, and the lady in yellow-cream is the giraffe!
    All those beefy (gentle)men in the background seem right--friends or foes?
    I love your literal recreation---I don't have all the right things so have to go the screws and tacks route every time---but that is the *funniest* detail of all.
    I am so happy.

    Those Paris Strip Mall sorts of paintings are very popular at the thrift store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Just noticed the Suzon's buttons too---did you sew them all on?
      I love all your attention to detail. Gold Star, you.

      Delete
    2. Her buttons are little beads and yes, I sewed them on. The flowers are a Ricola wrapper in an empty watch face.The beefy Gi Joes are gay. She works in a gay bar. The king of cartoons is the man she is talking to but he is too far away. Thank you for a gold star, I will wear it on my forehead.

      Delete
    3. FRESCA anon. The Village People!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Maybe , Mary, but the pay is lousy! I should have been a politician...

      Delete
  10. P.P.S. Just noticed that there's a triple mirror effect---we can see the artist--YOU!
    I'd love to see a close-up of the whole acrobat--can you post one? Or perhaps that's as good as it gets?
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Suzon looks great and the whole scene is very clever. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The perspective or angle on that Manet always bugged me. Is it a mirror behind her? If it is, why is her back off kilter from the front. And the people so little? Or, are there two servers working a two-sided bar? I'm confused. I love the Paris painting. But then, it's Paris!

    ReplyDelete