My Blog List

Saturday, November 5, 2022

Little trip to Norway

That time we went to see Norway, (snoreway) my grandfather's home, to eat a really good sandwich, look around, drop my friend's ashes in Voss lake and generally fall in love with that little gem of a country.
 
Today was the annual
Scandinavian fair which has not been held since covid. I got there 45 minutes before opening and the line had already formed around the building. I forgot my mask, the crowd was close. Fingers crossed that the virus was not floating around.

I bought stuff, big surprise. These wool roving cards were made by two little girls and they are just brilliant. Three dollars apiece. So under priced- when I went back to get more they were fairly well sold out. Of course they were!

 I came home with treasure- an antique Dala horse and a more recent one, a knitted mushroom and gnome, straw weaving, this one is rye from Eastern Washington. The wall of Solje (SOL-ya), brooches was amazing, dazzling, bright and shiny- I bought one to go with my little one and that will be all I need to wear for Christmas to look fancy.  The prices were remarkably affordable- as it always is at the Daughters of Norway. Online one might pay a fortune, I have looked, crazy expensive.

The baked goods were abundant sold out the entire two walls of goodies immediately as that is where most folks head first. There were no dried goods this year, usually I buy two bags of yellow peas for Norwegian soup. Not today.

Wanderlust- Sand in my shoes, itchy feet-  the long dark winter has only just begun. The Scandinavian fair took the edge off  a little bit. Plus three new-to- me orphans arrived today. They helped cheer me up  while I fiddled with the  IPAD trying to do tech things by myself - I have a salty vocabulary wanting to get exercised- I had to go out and clean up the dead veg  in the pots on the deck to get my mind right, came back in and fiddled more, fiddled well, finally. Tech really is not my friend, I sound like Lupo the Butcher  when trying to figure out tech shite.

 

The camera on this ipad is twenty times better than anything I have had so , when I am ready to travel I will BE READY! Better be soon, no body is getting any younger.

This is my sparkling  Solje- Tough choice they were all wonderful.


Not a bad way to spend a Saturday. I met an intriguing woman- I have to let it settle before I write anything about that meeting, it was so unusual. 


Home now, lasagna in the oven, about to watch more of Whitstable Pearl on
amazon video, stay up late, and hope that the virus did not ride home with me.



The top of Norway last part of May.


12 comments:

  1. If my sister's research is correct I'm descended from a Norwegian princess! Love that second picture. I could live there except for, you know, snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLENTY of snow- Norwegians love snow so much that they look forward to summer's end.
      Snow is their life- and lutefisk , ewww

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos, those Norwegians know their buildings and beards. Now I'm curious about this unusual woman meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very strange not terrible just , Odd...I will tell you.

      Delete
    2. AND yes! Norwegians can build awkward hunky houses and beards!!

      Delete
  3. More orphans! I look forward to seeing them---or are they only staying over, on their way to further adventures?
    Fun fun haul of Norwegian tchotchke! And beautiful brooch. TOo bad no peas though.

    I also had an outing that soothed my itchy feet, slightly---to a free evening at the Russian Museum of Art here---they have the best gift shop--actually Sputnik tea glasses from the late 1950s! (At $75, I just consider such things to be part of the exhibits).

    Have you got airline tickets to go somewhere????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, still sitting it out, thinking about when to go and where...but that is always my state of being.
      Glad you had an outing to
      Russia of all places- the orphans are here to stay, i love them, new batch, not entirely sure who they are other than cute and helpful.

      Delete
  4. A Scandinavian Fair! How wonderful! I would love to wander around at one of those. Is the Solje to wear or is it for hanging as an ornament? I love the Dala horses, I've never known what they were called. Three new orphans? You'll soon have a houseful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Solje brooch is to wear, you can google Norwegian women attire- some of the solje are very elaborate. This one is rather modest! - Two inches of sparkly silver!

      Delete
  5. Glen is definitely full of the Norwegian blood. He is a Viking at heart and never happier than on the water, heading...somewhere. Some Swedish too, I think.
    What a fine way to spend the day! I hope we hear the story of the your meeting with the woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Moon fits the bill! All of the people we met in Norway towered over us- Erik is 6' tall and even he was shrimpy! I was pocket size. Dna determines where one is more comfortable on this earth, I think- the north , a vast dark sea- wool , a sou'wester , and a wood fire feel like home- sunshine and heat feel like a delightful temporary holiday, just to dry out for a bit- then back to the familiar slog... that is why I lve where I do I guess.

      Delete
  6. This looks fun! I love everything you bought -- especially the gnome and the horse and the mushroom and the straw thing. LOVE it all!

    ReplyDelete