Christmas. Above is the large compote I bought at the Assistance league- It's a doozy! It rings so clearly when I flick it with my nail, weighs as much as a two year old child. It could do some damage I am sure. When I bought it, the woman who took my cash said " well, only people our age appreciate these finer things, young women just don't know..." I said "probably". My mother had a collection of hefty cut crystal, mostly from Ireland, and when I was a young woman, I did not think much of it. so , yeah, I will stick with "probably".
Lemon oiling all of the chairs , three at a time because our kitchen is very small- doing it in the kitchen so that the oil does not end up all over the place . I am not the most careful oiler of chairs. This house is built in a way that I can only guess it was some man's bad idea- tiny kitchen, no laundry room, no work area- the sort of house where you might stack bodies but as far as any sort of living breathing hub- it is NOT!
I managed to put a string of lights up- OH that is so FESTIVE, Linda!!! I cleaned the corners and shifted some things to make room for the tree , which will go where the toy basket for Flora is. It will be a small tree. Small and tall would be perfect.
Another photo of the compote because she is such a pretty thing! LARGE she is.
I have a smaller one as well that will fit beside her . It is not as sharply cut as this one , and may feel inadequate. That won't do. This Christmas feels like it is an important one and every compote that participates must feel important also!An unwritten rule.
Looks like the corner is getting all Sven Svenson, Oly Olson for The Holidays.
EEK-sorry for the flash, nearly put your eye out! It is dark here so without the flash it would just be a black blob. The rose bowl will have fairy lights in . Fairy lights are just the best invention- put anywhere and everywhere to bring needed/craved light into corners.Another "if I can't see you, you can't see me" shot, just now in the dark. There are three little babies on the deck- I want to squeeze them a lot, and call them my own, and name them all Boopsy. So cute I scream - " I can't stand it- you are too damned cute!" - scares them a little but they do not run away.
-0-
In the middle of this day of cleaning and clearing I got a hair cut - went to a place I have not been before, located within a stone's throw of our house. From the sidewalk there are stairs that go down and down and down. There is a door- and more stairs that go down and down..."Bet you do not get many wheel chair folks here..." No, was the answer, but no sorry acknowledgement of that failure.
Adequate haircut- It took her all of three minutes to cut my two hairs. Will I return when my hair grows back- looking rubbish? I will not. I will go where Stella goes, her hair always looks like a movie star's. But then, she could cut her hair with garden shears and it would look amazing. Good hair!
I still have loads of cleaning and clearing to so,
Three days is not enough. Dennis will be home tomorrow.






How I wish I had a proper house so I could decorate. I love the compote. Imagine just the top 'dish' section and half as deep, I have a set of dishes like that, also crystal, there were six and we used them often as dessert dishes, then one day my toddler took his own dish to the sink as he had done many times before, but didn't push it on far enough and it smashed on the floor, so now there are five. My mother brought them with her when we came from Germany and they became mine as an engagement gift. They are scratched up a bit and some of the pointy bits are chipped off, but I still love them.
ReplyDeleteCut crystal- catching the light and shooting it off in all directions- so festive and joyful! AND - old lady-ish- so I have been told...Aww poor little lad, I am sure that was an unhappy event.
DeleteYou are doing it up! It's going to be so beautiful. I haven't even started getting ready for Thanksgiving as my dreams reminded me early this morning. I HAD to buy a turkey but was at some extremely hippy market where everything was cleverly cozied into straw and baskets of dried flowers. "This is not a good marketing strategy," I told myself.
ReplyDeleteAnd now I feel rather anxious.
Hippie extreme! And all of the turkeys had names and death certificates, memorial services with photos of happier times donning the block and ax . Tofurky is the alternative but that is like eating a naugahyde sofa. So we buy the turkey in a manger and give thanks that we only do this once a year.
DeleteI remember pressing my fingers against my grandmother's cut glass candy dish.
ReplyDeleteWe get lots of these beautiful sorts of things at the thrift store as the grandmothers die off... I don't know that people don't appreciate them. What I often hear is that people don't have room for them.
But, who knows...
I love those chairs, you know.
And your house is going to be a dream for Christmas! I feel a tug of envy...
Good on ya!
I love seeing the crystal. It reminds me of my mom who absolutely loved collecting crystal. She had so many things on display in the dining room breakfront.
ReplyDeleteIt's so nice to see your holiday decorations. Ah the season has arrived.
Cut crystal is so gorgeous. I have some, one small bowl I picked up at an estate sale for cheap I think they thought it was pressed glass. My mother taught me how to tell the difference. Real cut crystal has sharp edges/ridges while pressed glass edges are soft and rounded. I read somewhere that those upper class folks who kept their liquor in cut lead crystal decanters were poisoning themselves as the lead in the glass leached into the liquor. Don't know how true that is.
ReplyDeleteI have plenty of cleaning that has to be done but no decorating. I just don't do that. Although I did pick up a string of little white lights at another estate sale for cheap. What to do with them?
once I get the little white lights up I leave them until they burn out- months and months. Quell the Darkness/pagan lights. Cut crystal is sharp, you could do yourself an injury !
DeleteBeautiful compote! It's yuuuuge! I have three, one big, two small, but they're not as beautiful, or as big, as yours. I like to put christmas tree balls in them and surround them with fairy lights. Men should not design homes, we have a laundry room, but it's really small. Right now the floor is covered with winter footware.
ReplyDeleteThat cut glass compote is a stunner. I love my cut glass -- I have a lot of my mom's. When she died (I was young) she said, "Hold onto it till you're 40 and if you don't like or use it by then, let it go." Well, I use it for every holiday. It's pretty. I could envision pretty ornaments in yours! Love your corner with the red horses!
ReplyDelete