My Blog List

Friday, November 25, 2022

From where do you blog, Teacher's dilemma ,and raccoon companions

This morning Fresca asked 

After yesterdays perfect weather, this morning is more usual for November-  this is from where I blog, on my MAC on a cluttered table of necessities, raccoons peering in,( see the lumps on the deck) wind, rain, dark.
 

The bookcase  covers a window, limiting light , it is where my  Polish Grandmothers live, I like looking at them. The case was to go where the big TV is that has  been dead for three years,  taking up an entire wall like a big black eye. Not sure why Mr. Man wants it there, reluctant to let things go, I suppose  (I KNOW) In the end it will be just fine as we will all slide down into the sea when the big earth shake happens. Something to look forward to.....

Today , from where I blog,  it is  a misty moisty morning, cloudy is the weather. I can always count on the raccoons to greet me, though. I dip into the bag of kibble and they make little  sounds that make me very nearly lactate. Sweet little animals they are. My  wild forest children.

-0-


My daughter in law is a stellar teacher,  school districts all over the country want her - offering  more cash than the next...Anyway, a well accomplished teacher- THIS year however, after kids being covid imprisoned for way too long, she is finding the challenge a bit daunting! Kids are far behind, reluctant to concentrate, reluctant to learn, unable to relate to a human teacher! DIL about to throw in the towel- ( or several children out the window). The stress, in normal circumstances for teachers is very high, quadruple that stress now,  untenable. Will it get better? Who knows, but it seems like the children  have missed such a chunk of development that they are forever going to struggle. It all falls on teacher, parents are obstacles as well, depending on electronic devices to keep the kids from burning down the house.

Consequences of long lock down. In hindsight a mistake? Probably.

(last of the lavender)

15 comments:

  1. Your DIL is not alone. I see and hear it everyday at college level, and I know it's the same on down to preschool. Students not attending lectures, or attending and not taking ANY notes, not doing the reading/homework assignments - then flummoxed that they're failing. I think we'll be digging out for a long while.
    Nice blogging nook. I could use my dead grandma's presence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The damage done! Electronic devices -a curse more than a blessing at this point. The polish Grandmothers are dollies- 1930's- during covid I think I managed to buy single one that was on ebay!

      Delete
  2. My dear friend Shayla, wife of Billy teaches second grade, I think, and she was telling me how very noticeable the lag in learning is now that the kids are back in school. It's so scary. So sad.
    I love your writing nook with the raccoons able to peer in and comment on your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schools are suffering severely- teachers are spent. Not enough help as usual, from parents, tutors, $$$. I agree, the nook is great with the outside right there. I can watch the weather change over the sound, get ready for what's coming!

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine what it must be like for a kid these days. Makes me wonder what it will take to really re-integrate them into the classroom. Things really have to go back to normal, and so far it really hasn't. We'll probably see an uptick in Covid cases after all the holiday gatherings.
    I feel so bad for teachers and students, and the expectation that things can be normal for them, when things are simply not normal.
    Lovely place to sit and write and your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin! The parents did not step up , they did not know how I guess. It will be a long recovery if at all. Children were failing before covid and now it seems that they are brain damaged as far as academics go. Behavioral problems as well!

      Delete
  4. Yes, a mistake. Our first educational mistake? Not our first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many but this one has really shaken the foundation!

      Delete
  5. Your Mac screen looks almost big enough to be my TV. I blog from my laptop, screen is only 13 1/2 inches across (34 1/2cm) 7 1/2 inches high (19cm)15 1/4 inches diagonally (39cm) bigger than my old Toshiba laptop, but not big enough to comfortably watch movies on. I face a window which I can barely see out od since the security screens were put on and my table has the cat food bowls in the top right hand corner because Lola won't eat anywhere else and a lot of jumbled mess to the left of me.
    I hope that big earthquake doesn't happen too soon. I'd miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your digs sound cosy, and I love that your cat helps you. Yes , it would be better for me to have the big earth slide happen after i am well and truly gone!

      Delete
  6. I'm totally enchanted by that first picture, and that was even before I realized those two lumps were raccoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sit there, and stare at me, they roll and play and then take naps in the tree, on the railing , on the deck. Sometimes there is a disagreement over who is whom- but for the most part it is a docile , little family.

      Delete
  7. I have a friend who left teaching last year for much the same reason. The lock-down has had lasting effects in every generation but it was especially hard for the children.
    Your foggy weather looks exactly like the photos my friends are texting me from Oregon. They went to the Willamette Valley for Thanksgiving and have been sending me some gorgeous photos of fog over the trees and vines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyrical / poetic no doubt- it took fifteen years for me to get used to the chill but it is abasolutely beautiful up here, Oregon is more temperate I think, less wild.

      Delete