The rain has returned feeling like things are getting back to normal after a long dry, hot Indian summer. Living in this area is challenging as far as health goes. MS and Parkinson's disease , crumbly bones, immunity issues, diabetes and heart problems are all considered to be results of lack of sunshine. Not to mention serotonin and circadian rhythm becoming compromised. We were not meant to live indoors in the dark. Back in the old free spirit days we lived outside for the most part because outside was just as comfortable as inside, where a glass of water froze solid overnight on the kitchen table. That is not terribly unusual, I suppose. Point being that even the dark sky outside had enough vitamin D power to keep us well. Now we stay in, and it is doing us no favors. But, you know how it is, we look out the window and say" EWWww , no thanks, Mother Nature, not today." I will stay in and eat all of the bread.
The darkness creates illusion- mirrors are not so scary and a self portrait can look magnificent. When I get up in the morning and wash my face I look normal, because it is dark,- I am, in reality, in light, far from anyone's idea of normal. "Holy cats! Who is that?" Also the dust in the house is invisible. Bonus! A screen shot of Nancy back in August that I found "honest".
It is early to be putting up fairy lights for Christmas but that is what I am going to do today If I can see well enough through the darkness to plug them into the socket.
We so appreciated the bright days of summer- San Diego weather without the crowd /cars/ pollution/high prices/big bucks/ and more crowd. It felt as close to utopia as one could imagine. Nomad lifestyle suits us- especially since we have no livestock or ag to tie us to one place in time. Another reason to be pumped about Keeka's little Aristocrat. She has the right idea!
There is one listed on Craig's list in San Fransisco for 10,000 bucks because, the ad states ,"It is worth it."
Here is what one person has done with theirs, there are many that have been dolled up on pinterest. Would be a great addition to the vehicles in the drive- use as guest house or studio or get away from each other for five. If Keeka becomes discouraged I have offered to buy it from her- no problem. In a heart beat!




It is a darling little trailer. It's interesting how many of these ancient tiny trailers are being refurbished and used. It's gruesome here today. Woke up to snow, which turned to rain, which is removing the snow, which is good. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow, because someone has to brown a chuck roast on the grill (in a cast iron skillet) to make pot roast. Perhaps I will point one of the grow lights at me for some Vitamin D.
ReplyDeletegrilling a pot roast outside is so smart-
DeleteDennis uses the inside pan and his new and not so remarkable air fryer to finish the gob of cow. I am not a fan of either. We can not control the weather but we can control the car that might take us to better weather- a thought.
And I find the weather in Ohio uncomfortable! You're making me feel the biggest woose of all.
ReplyDeleteI've been a fan of camping and travelling all my life. Here in my adult life I've stumbled on YouTube videos of these little trailers, more than a few for sale. A way to go.
The trailers are so cute- not sure I would want to LIVE in one but it could be done I suppose in a better climate.
DeleteSo very interesting about the effects of a lack of sunshine. In truth, when I lived in Jamaica, I knew no one who had MS, but maybe I was just young. In any case, thanks for the reminder to GO OUTDOORS. I shall take it to heart.
ReplyDeleteI think that it would be easier in NYC to go outside- such a walking city and so interesting looking around at NYC life!
DeleteI couldn't possibly live in such a tiny space. Where would I put my TV and dvd collection?
ReplyDeleteA few people here have fairly lights up already, I saw them on my walk around the block this morning.
Doesn't London also get frosty and snowy?
Occasionally London gets snow, it is cold but compared to here it is warmer and brighter. I liked living in small spaces- I prefer tiny cosy areas. keeps me from keeping non-essentials. Our house is bigger than I have been used to and it is chock full of stuff not needed.
Delete
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link: the Smithsonian article has interesting info about health & light that I didn't know.
Living in MN is hard--going outside in winter, even if just at the bus stop for a few minutes, I have to cover everything but my eyeballs or flesh will freeze.
Still, those crashingly bright days of sun on snow are cheering.
Give me damp London!
I agree, give me London! Having lived for too long in the harsh winter of Wyoming I understand MN. Survival!! But we had blue sunny skies forever.
DeleteI don't think you could pay me enough to live up there. Winters down here are enough to have me doing my lizard impersonation every spring basking in the sun.
ReplyDeleteYou mighty last a half a winter up here- the politics are good....PNW bubble.
Delete