My Blog List

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Catrina, day of the dead, autumn loveliness and a thing for Steve.

"The skeleton with the hat that we see today came to life in the early 1900’s by artist José Guadalupe Posada. Posada was a controversial and political cartoonist that was liked by the people and who drew and etched skeletons (calaveras) in a satirical way to remind people that they would all end up dead in the end. It is said that he drew the dandy-looking female skeleton with a fancy feathered hat because some Mexicans had aspirations to look wealthy and aristocratic like the Europeans at that time. A satirical drawing to remind people to be themselves and to stop trying to be something that they weren’t. No matter how rich or poor you were, no matter the color of your skin, and no matter what society you belonged to, you would all end up skeletons. This was Posada’s message with his many caricatures of cavaleras sketched doing various daily activities. One of his most popular sayings was “Death is democratic”. "

The one and only La Catrina that I have left has seen better days. I did have about ten at one point. All  in different  dresses but same style. I kept this one because her foot has broken off- and also, I am fond of her.

-0-

Autumn is beautiful right now, just before the wind takes it all away and  grey settles in.

This is our enthusiastic weeping cherry. Whoa, knock yourself out , girl!


A few flowers  are still hanging on and some  are  blossoming, trying to , anyway.
 


Slanted light hits some leaves just right and they become electric. Through the trees all of a sudden a burst of brightness slaps you silly and you doubt what you are seeing. Butterflies? Fairies?

There are colors that I have no names for- what would you call this color?


 Every year I drag out the "compost" painting that I did when Erik was in middle school, and every year Dennis says "oh that is nice, where did that come from?"  And every year I remind him...



Seven deer in the yard this morning. Frisky, leaping and getting very close.

 

A young buck  is chasing a very young doe around and around.  He nearly ran over my neighbor. Marijo has returned for a couple of weeks , visiting her parents. 

She comes twice a year though I think it will be more often now that her parents are in their 90's. 

She left the USA for Holland about 25 years ago , for better health care. Better politics and better life in general. Smart girl.

 Steve asked that I post the glass thing  I did in a workshop at Erik's middle school, having posted Janet's , which is far more interesting- I have posted this one before ,probably. It was inspired by the "WATSU" that Janet bought for me for a birthday long ago. I was very impressed with the WATSU. Heavenly- traveling back to being safe and warm and supported in amniotic fluid.  Anyway... it was fun making these- simple, and , as  stated, this one looks like broken glass stuck together, which it is. Watery colors are nice, though.

Day of the dead- I will give my Mom's ashes a Mum, her favorite flower, and Dexter's ashes will get some rice and chicken, his favorite.  I will help him eat it because , you know, no teeth. 

17 comments:

  1. I have no idea what that color would be called. Peachy orange? I don't know.
    I like your compost painting. Dennis probably likes it because for...some...reason it feels familiar.
    And I also very much like your glass work. I had to look up WATSU and yes, I think you did a beautiful job of portraying it in both color and feeling.
    As for the deer- it is most inelegantly called "rutting season" now. I tease Glen that he married me in rutting season. I think there is some truth in there along with the teasing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha the MOONS in rutting season. Hilarious!
      The color that has no name - I just don't know how one could duplicate it- sienna/cream gouache? It seems to be a not good color...Watsu is glorious, a wonderful feeling.

      Delete
  2. Shades and tints of orange, coral, brown, yellow. I like your glass thing better than Janet's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That color would be so difficult to paint...and I like Janet's WAY better.

      Delete
  3. Fresca here.
    Your stained glass appeals to this Pisces! Water and light—yes please.

    Ochre sienna umber… ochsiber? Umbochrienna? siochber? 😆

    Hello to your dead!
    Our beloved skeletons sure do increase over the years. I hope they are having a wild ol’ time in the cemetery tonight❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Your compost painting is very alive!
      —Fresca

      Delete
    2. Those names for the mystery color work well...it should be included in a box of crayons. Umbochrienns sounds about right! Wish the dead were not so shy about coming around- I would love to play a game of gin rummy with my brother...

      Delete
  4. Your stained glass looks like "pieces falling into place". The unknown colour could be called rust. I like the compost painting a lot. I like skeletons too, especially the highly decorated art pieces known as "sugar skulls".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhh I like pieces falling! That sounds very cool.

      Delete
  5. I like your stained glass a great deal. I'm not going to compare it to Janet's because I think yours is singular. Keeka has grand ideas leading to grand adventures. I remember your stories of your grand adventures, too. And, yes, I can see you standing in the doorway of that dwelling on wheels. Perfect fit. Now, for the mystery color: I am re-working a painting titled "At the Cave Ruins" that has that color in it. I need more, but cannot remember how I made it, since I mix all of my colors from the primaries and white gesso. It just might be the color that comes after red-orange and before red-violet in the sunset. That's how it looks on my computer, anyway. Unless this is one of those color trickery questions: is the dress blue or is it...? Whatever it is, I'm hoping to mix it up here in the next day or two. Cheers, LS. karen f

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I hope that you can make that color again- I so miss seeing your work! When Anna does a Beamz tour of Ashkelon I think of you - the ruins are amazing, the textures sublime . Of course the 5,000 years of historical events help to make it a surreal place too. Your kind of painting.

      Delete
  6. I love your "glass thing" and I think it's every bit as interesting as Janet's. The compost painting is great too. I often photograph our compost bags because they're so beautiful! I think that color is called "autumn peony." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That name works though I am not sure I could find it in the paint section. It is not a color that I would tend to use unless it was for lively mud.

      Delete
    2. YES that is the color! Brilliant, Steve. It does exist. Autumn peony is a thing!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful fall colors! I love the compost painting and glass thing. We shall call them from "Linda Sue's Erik's Middle School Period"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your glass piece! So there! Loads of fun stuff and loving all the color in this post. Come November, we need all the color we can get!

    ReplyDelete