My Blog List

Wednesday, October 19, 2022

smoky town, a charming child, a glorious tattoo

The smoke is coming from the Bolt Creek Fire near Skykomish and the Chilliwack Area fire in the North Cascades. Wind coming from the east and the northeast is moving wildfire smoke further into western Washington.

From the front door this morning. Yesterday was very dense with smoke, the air quality in the red zone of "Very unhealthy" but not quite " you are dead ". 

Hours spent with Flora were the best of any. I took  kitchen measuring devices and a large plastic snow globe, purchased at the dollar store, double tight lidded- I filled  it with ballerinas,  Sparkly balls, fake fruit, and glass tear-drop beads (for sound effect). Both were received well. especially the kitchen measuring cups and spoons.  A Tolo baby that was Erik's, fitted perfectly into the largest cup.


 

 


The girl can dance,  wish that I had my camera on when she did her moves, amazingly coordinated- arms out just right, hands rotating beautifully , like an accomplished belly dancer's.  Her control and balance is astonishing - I just sat on the sofa , stunned. "Oh My GOD, baby girl!" 

Then she read fourteen books in five minutes - on to the next big idea-

The wooden rack  thing is a climber. She climbs to the top- wants to go farther, can not quite make it over the top to climb down the other side but will do, probably in the next ten minutes. 

Next week I will watch her for a couple of days - then the little  family are  going to Arizona to see the 93 year old grandparents, who have their dyed in the wool Old Country ideas,  it is like shifting heavy wet cement- they are likely to be mean to our little unmarried, illegitimate tattooed family, unnecessary and hurtful - comes from a place of fear and inability to change, pretty much what that generation is all about.  Anyway, Emily loves her grandparents, wants to see them before it is too late, never mind the  side eyed judgement. Flora Jane will ease  all nonsense.  If that does not do the job , well then, bloody hopeless!

This is Em's new tattoo. Skin still flaking- tattoo settling.

OUCH! 

When Gitana died  , her group , her tribe, all got the same tat in the same area , "Gypsy".

 As time goes on  political correctness alters names, the term "Gypsy" became another "N" word. Thus the reason for the new tattoo, to cover GYPSY, and to honor Gitana in spite of the name cover up. Gitana died from the poppy,  unintentional, tragically young, we miss her, our spirited, talented, beautiful one!

We all start out  well, so much promise/ optimism. Life is hard- slaps you silly and then spits you out a shriveled, broke down, hard ridden  keffel - BUT before it takes you altogether, a gift is bestowed upon thee!  And there is light! So bright , even cataracts can not diminish it's clarity!



16 comments:

  1. This is our first fall here without smoky skies. It is a surprise to see the smokiness there. I hope that clears up soon. Love seeing the photos of adorable Flora. She is such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are caught in the middle of Canadian fire and Washington fires- made the national news as - extremely unhealthy!

      Delete
  2. Flora's promises are fulfilling. I cannot wait to hear about her first trip over the cool new climby thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems to be quite athletic. loves to play ball also. I don't think we will see her in girlie attire- ever!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! Flora is so gorgeous! And that tattoo is too. So bright and cheerful, both of them. I hope the old grandparents take so kindly to Flora they forget any mean-ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my hope as well, but, knowing them I am sure they will inflict some sort of jabs and stabs...They don't mean to be mean, they just are.

      Delete
  4. Adorable Flora. Who wouldn't love a plastic ball full of ballerinas and fruit?! Funny how the word gypsy has come to be a slur where it once was a compliment. (At least I thought of it that way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also a a rainbow bottle of wool in the ball , and a cow. It is pretty wacky .Gypsy encompasses the spirit of a culture- wild abandon, dancing, singing, I am sorry that the word became a slur.

      Delete
  5. I have always given my babies and grandbabies measuring cups and spoons. They are a favorite toy. The metal cups can also be used as percussion instruments as can Revere Ware pots and their lids. So good to hide things in too! Flora is a bright flame of hope and beauty. She is learning to human like a genius.
    You know- it had not occurred to me when I saw the sign for the new "boutique" going up in Lloyd that Gypsy is not an acceptable word these days. Hank had to remind me. Oh dear. Shall I be the one to tell the new owner?
    I love Emily's new tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little shop is so far from civilization it likely will not get burned down because of the name. Political correctness can be kind of a pain in the neck. I think that the word gypsy represents quirk and joy and beauty...but there you go. How many Romanies will be offended in Lloyd?

      Delete
    2. Oh, Lord. Who knows if there are Romanies in Lloyd? I am conflicted about this new rule.

      Delete
  6. That darned Flora! What a four-star face. And she's just a joy. Love it when she's there and look more to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora is highly entertaining! Charming funny girl. I just adore her.

      Delete
  7. When and why did Gypsy become a bad word?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a fun extended family - gypsy tattoos! Flora chose wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beauty in this post, in that light filled little girl, in the red of her jumper and the red of the poppies and in the love that braves side-eye judgment and lets a little girl who can dance and climb and read 14 books at once gentle the Old Country ways.

    ReplyDelete