My Blog List

Monday, October 17, 2022

Praying mantis, birthday child

Dennis found a lady in the yard. The first one we have seen in this neck of the woods. She is large , plump- about 3 inches long. 3-D vision and a wide wing span. Such a lovely girl.

Speaking of lovely girls, today is Stella's birthday! The very best October child! She will be here soon , we are going out for dinner and a bit of this and that. Cocktails are good for birthdays! Not too many- I am taking care of Flora tomorrow and the next day- I am one lucky Grannie, but have to be in top form to keep up. Baby girl walks like a run away train!
 

In the hedge hog package - things for Stella's trip to Finland in the summer. Back to her mother land to search for family stuff. I reckon she should stay there, but the very cold winters would likely put her under. So, guess not. Climate change may make Finland another California- just give it a couple more years.  Finnish wine tours, climate change not all bad?

Miss Mantis's face looks a little messed up- maybe that is just how they are- we have never had such a large one hanging around. I hope she finds a fly, or several- by her roundness,  looks like she has been a good hunter. 

An article about her .


16 comments:

  1. I love that you saw a Praying Mantis there. They are such interesting creatures. I found one here the other day and moved it to a safer location than where it was headed. It must be mantis season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be! I am surprised at the size of this one! I have seen tiny ones but never this huge. What a cool bug!

      Delete
  2. She really does look like an alien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she was as tall as a building i would be frightened!

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen a praying mantis in such a long time. I used to see smaller ones, then the next season on the same plant would be bigger ones, I don't know how long they live. Happy Birthday to Stella, I hope Finland doesn't freeze her solid. Two whole days with Flora! That would wipe me out for a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finland is a fine country- Winter is grim but that is a small price to pay for good governing- and mosquitoes in the summer! The grass is greener.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing animal--She is green tinged with pink--my favorite colors! We don't have them in MN, and I've never seen a live one.
    What a pretty package--hedgehogs and sage.

    I worked on a geography book about Finland and have since wanted to go--which is funny because geographically it's much like MN... Yet not. It's that "not" I'd like to see, I guess.

    Enjoy the babe! She looks speedy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flora Jane is amazing and I assume that all babies are- but I must say of all the babies I have known she take the prize! Her ability to suss and figure !!!

      The praying mantis is the loveliest bug we have ever had visit us.

      Delete
  5. What beautiful shots of your visitor! Please extend happy birthday wishes to Stella. Your present to her is in itself a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And do you know what her husband got for her? Nothing, Zip, not even a wish! So yes, i will extend your wish to her! She needs some wishes from good folks - you are IT!

      Delete
  6. She's probably ready to lay her egg sack. I see them rarely here but lots of fun to discover newly hatched little mantises all scurrying around. finland would be a great place to live except for the cold and snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the right season for egg sacks so maybe that is why she is so plump. Finland sounds too close to
      Russia for my comfort level but i guess we are all close to Russia- nukes affect everyone on the planet...

      Delete
  7. Have a fabulous time and Happy Birthday to Stella. I just love that wrapping paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the paper in London, of course- we know that all the cool stuff comes from there!

      Delete
  8. Maybe Ms. Mantis is pregnant? Does that happen at this time of year? Happy birthday to Stella! I would love to go to Finland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked up the season of laying and this is it so hoping we find and protect the egg sack.

      Delete