My Blog List

Thursday, October 13, 2022

cool people in the cemetery

After getting my wheels aligned I decided to go to the cemetery , a pleasant walk , peaceful- surprised at  how brown and crispy it is, usually it is lush green all year round. 

This is the most amusing , lively headstone-An otter instead of the usual weeping angel or dead guy on a stick. Dancing skeletons, partying and being joyful! Magical grave.
 

 bits of nature left as gifts- shells, stones with holes bored by the sea.


I usually start at the baby section of the cemetery , most of the stones are so worn that they just look like  rocks in the landscape. I feel this section more than the "long lived- great father and loving mother" graves. We went there at night one time when the kids were in middle school for "scares". But had to leave because we heard the babies- it was probably coyotes really. Anyway, it made us too sad to be scared.
Also a very small fenced Jewish section  stops me in my tracks, for a think , and a wish . It is a humble little cemetery.

There is a pump for watering your horse , used now,  I suppose, for dogs or very short children.

The cemetery is prime dog walking territory though I only saw two today.


There are squirrels and rabbits to bark at, but it is an on leash area, and please , pick up the poos.


At the entrance/exit there is this building. Looks like a lavatory. The words above the entrance claim that it is an Abby. I have never been inside - it is locked all the time. So much for the God house...

Before getting my wheels lined up properly, I  got the big deal booster plus the double dose flu injection. Tomorrow I may not feel so sassy. Bumped into an old friend while in the "sit and wait" room. her husband , who lived in the harbor when I did, has cancer in his lungs. He was a master pipe carver for years - gorgeous  art pieces actually, but smoked them as well.  Dang!

-0-

Good thing I have been taking care of  business this week- cleared  my little storage unit which was mostly Erik's stuff and a few Dennis mystery objects. The weather is perfect for unloading a storage unit, and I fear that we are on borrowed good days.  Have made a huge pile in the hallway of stuff to go to charity shops.  Finally letting my grandmother's dishes go- just keeping a few bowls that I will actually use. Cleaned up my art corner- organized tubs of this and that and tossed so much that was well and truly dead. Rock hard oils and crafty shite that I am SO over! 

Fresh start!  On we go.

-0-

Post script:

I just realized the name and date of the buried person , under the otter. I had not know of this girl nor her mother's dance company- I did some looking around- Young vivacious, dancing acrobatic girl- so much life!  What I could glean from sites online - she must have had  an accident, machines kept her body pumping blood and breathing for a couple of days, Plugs pulled and she "walked on". This is she, dynamic, a force! Too good for this world. Heartbreaking.




19 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can start on my storage shed. It has no power (meant to be a garage) so it is dark in there unless the sun shines and cold too. If I manage to get it empty enough I can use the shelves for stocking up on household goods, like laundry detergent, kitchen detergent, cans of instant coffee and so on. Like a giant pantry. Maybe toilet paper, but would the rats eat it? or take it for their nests? even wrapped in plastic it probably isn't safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. making the most out of the warm weather we are having, the temperature is perfect. I think that rats would have a lot of fun with toilet paper.

      Delete
  2. I did notice that "otter girl" died young. So sad. Cemeteries make amazing dog-walking territory, don't they? Interesting for both the walker and the walkee. Good for you, tackling the storage unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very young, but that is the saying right? "Only the good"... Cemeteries are lovely and it does make me re-think Dennis's decision to send his corpse to the medical school for "study". I would rather plant him in a lovely spot and visit it often.

      Delete
  3. I love walking through old cemeteries, and yours looks very interesting! That otter stone is amazing and if I wasn't going to be cremated I'd want something unusual like that. And yes, that young woman died way too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cemetery is large, there are many impressive headstones and art- this one with otter , in my opinion is the very best!

      Delete
  4. Wow. As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now for the REST of the story..."
    What a beautiful, beautiful young woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful multi talented and way too young! I am glad I looked her up- her story is pretty amazing, the love , the family, the dance!

      Delete
  5. Cemeteries tell such interesting stories. It's good to go for a long walk there and get that feel for the lives that have been and gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could spend hours there! There are a few picnic tables- Certainly could make a day of it.

      Delete
  6. Oh, way too young. I like old cemeteries with ll their monuments and sculpture. Modern ones are boring. Peaceful I suppose is the intent when the only monument is a flat piece of marble with names, flush on the ground. Boring. Parks without dead bodies are peaceful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a certain "feel" about cemeteries though- respect, pensive thoughts and reflection. We are all just walking on.

      Delete
  7. When we took a cruise in the Mediterranean, there was time to be killed in Nice. We found a cemetery to walk through. It was gorgeous. The graves had large ceramic flowers on them and pictures of the deceased. Cemeteries do have a feel. Arlington kind of sucks your breath out with the enormity of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at first i read that as there was time for you to be killed in Nice. Customary , I think, south of France, ceramic flowers...we saw a few.

      Delete
  8. I like monumemts/memorials where the dead and/or their families have participated in telling the story of the person who has died. I love visiting old cemeteries. I wish I could remember the one where a foreseeing person planted the cremated remains and a tree. There was a fine grove of maples growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there is one grave , put by a small tree initially- the tree is now huge and has pushed the grave and stone nearly vertical by the tree's base. Not a great plan.

      Delete
  9. You researcher, you! Good going. Sad story.

    In the old graveyard in Missouri where my mother's family is buried, there's a stone from the mid-1800s that simply reads BABY GONE HOME.

    Medical schools will give you the cremated remains back when they're done studying the body, as you may know? A friend got her father's ashes returned in a few months. Then you can still bury them with a stone, or whatever, to visit.
    I like visiting too--I put dusting of ashes of several friends and family at a particular flowering crab tree at the walking path of a lake in town. No stone, of course, but I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our girl studying medicine at university med school did work on a few dead folks - said it was brutal and disrespectful, they buried them in the plot of land out the back and had a ceremony for them, but they do not keep track of the bits and bobs they slice and dice. I suspect that the cremated remains are not entirely the person you once knew. It is all symbolic I suppose, BUT I really want us to be planted in a box that will decompose and to feed the soil- with an interesting rock on top of us. I won[t know because i will be dead but I think it is rather nice to go to "the spot" and think especially of that person, have a chat- finally getting a word in edgewise.

      Delete
    2. I do like the idea of decomposing and being food for bugs and grasses.
      Sure, bury me on the lone prairie!

      Delete