My Blog List

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Walk with dog to where he will take you, tin garbage island

Early evening Cubby decides to take me for a walk to the park via Taylor's dock. It took years to complete  the dock, well worth the effort - probably the most favorite part of the inner urban trail ,  once  an industrial dock ,  refurbished to its glorious quarter mile long  "bridge"dock over the salty sea.

Dress code....
 

I thought this was little kids vehicle coming toward us.


Pedal powered, the guy rides in the bike lane. Enough space in the back for a little child or groceries , whatever small thing needing transport.  The driver/ biker got this thing to help with his injured -surgeried many times -wrecked legs. Cost a bit more that PT ($20,000) but  is cuter and gets the guy out in the fresh sea air. I think it also gets  some measure of attention from people like me, this could be his social life.
On this lump of waste from olden day salmon cannery(   a massive  tin  wad - resulting in  a small island) the rogue sculpture mysteriously appeared in 2012, remained for a year and then mysteriously disappeared just as quickly. This year it appeared again, likely to stay because the city said OK. 

Made of sheet metal it weighs a hefty 400 pounds. It's name is "Grace". 


 We walked  to Fairhaven and back- went to the park at the end of the dock, wandered around for a couple of  hours ,  much "splooting", started home as the light was dimming.
On the dock a nearly invisible bit of graffiti. Because you are what it says you are.

That was Tuesday - time to take the pooch off to slumberland where he will woof and his legs will run through good  sniffing dreams. 



18 comments:

  1. Another lovely walk and across water this time. I thought at first that car was one of the solar powered type we sometimes see here. Schools have competitions to build one and run it from Darwin to Adelaide. The "Grace" statue is nice, I wish I could bend like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bending like that is a thing of yesterday for me.
      How clever of the schools to build vehicles and have a competition. That would motivate kids to do great things!

      Delete
  2. I like "Grace" and it's good she adorns your seashore once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, glad to see Grace back on the lump of industrial waste.

      Delete
  3. Interesting little pedal-car...or whatever it's name might be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One wonders at the need for a helmet when driving the pedal car. Safety first, I guess!
    Indeed, Cubby does take you for a walk and not the other way around! He chose well on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the "helmet" is part of the vehicle- it is like a cocoon!

      Delete
  5. I love what you saw and photographed on this walk. Such beautiful sights there. I'm glad Cubby likes to go out with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubby has become quite the walker! I used to have to carry him most of the way- he has the stubborn shih tsu gene. When I let him call the shots he is fine with walking and takes me along- sometimes I am stubborn about going places I do not want to go. 50/50

      Delete
  6. Grace Jones, eh?
    https://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/grace-jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not seen this before! Thank you dear sleuth ! Fascinating article! Yes, an impossible pose , even for Grace.

      Delete
  7. I like the sculpture...standing bow. I do it but probably don't look that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, even Grace Jones needed help with this pose so you are GOOD!

      Delete
  8. Lovely sights on this walk - Cubby sure can pick 'em!
    I like the sculpture, well done. Is your area some kind of mysterious pop up art magnet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wind to take things away so yes, a good place for pop up art. Cubby could take you places you have never even dreamed of!! Not as adventurous as
      Charlie the dog but does well enough. If something feels "off" Cubby refuses to move, I pay attention, he is always right.

      Delete
  9. You do the best walks! And that dock is pretty magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog is tired today, has not wanted to go for any sort of adventure, he has been asleep all day!

      Delete