My Blog List

Monday, September 19, 2022

Queen in a box


I got up in the darkness to watch the entire funeral. During the minutes of silence, birds chirped, the breeze scooted  dry leaves, the raccoons had tea on the deck, so there really was no silence. Just enough, I suppose, to reflect and send a wish off into the ethers for Queen E. Our only Queen.
 
The queen of the raccoon pack is this one, shielding her eyes from the morning sun. She slept like this for a long time- she slept like the dead.

She is not a pretty queen, she has been through many battles , obviously,  maintaining her dignity and pride.  Side to side like a bull dog. The others are respectful- the babies hide behind the flower pots.

I sing "god save the Queen" every time she comes onto the deck, the lyrics slip into AMERICA and then into the Abolitionists version.

Three for the price of one! 

Anyway-That was that, and the entire funeral , as you likely watched, was incredible, If  only I had a better word. Maybe you do. The British know how ceremony is done, they have had hundreds of years of practice and the swag that goes with it.  In all of that majesty, the tiny Queen E. in  regal box did command all of the heartfelt love and adoration anyone could have ever mustered. This is A time!

11 comments:

  1. Is that the old mother raccoon from last year, thought dead but not?

    I am impressed with how the Brits can get people to stand in proper lines and not fidget for long times. We are capable of more than we know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would say that the British are capable, Manners are in their
      DNA.
      This could be the old mother, she has similar scarring but acts more bull dikey . more commanding.

      Delete
  2. It was utterly stunning to listen to the castle bells and know how truly historic that moment was. RIP Liz. You did a good job.
    XRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when Charles and Diana married, I made my children watch it on TV. "This is history!" I told them. A real prince and princess getting married!
    I wonder if they remember that. I don't think they have cared one bit about the funeral. I don't blame them. But I have looked at hundreds of pictures today. I am not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the funeral was pretty amazing- the feels, the thoughts. the evaluation on our time on earth and what we are about. Stunning Britain !

      Delete
  4. I watched every minute. Twice. Or maybe more. And you're right -- now one does ceremony like the Brits. I was mesmerized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched to the end and in spite of the ritual, the regalia, I found a lot of it boring. But I stuck with it and even cried a little. Our newspaper today is filled with pages of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The entire time I was wondering if she was really in that box

      Delete
  6. It was all quite astonishing. I didn't intend to watch and yet I couldn't help it. Your raccoon queen isn't very regal, but she IS imposing -- like Queen Victoria sunbathing.

    ReplyDelete