My Blog List

Saturday, September 17, 2022

Lake walk, midnight walk, too many deer



 
Started out for a walk- 

Cubby stood by the car demanding a ride to ...somewhere. New digs, new sniffs, a change of paths through nature.

We went to the lake up the hill from here.

Windy, autumn feel, wearing a jacket and a hoodie, we walked  nearly a quarter of the way around the lake when Cubby stopped abruptly, refusing to move. Ok, then, that walk is over. 

There were a few dogs to sniff, some ducks to wonder about, a decent poo , picked up and binned. 

A few walkers , a couple of swimmers.

 Uncrowded for the first time in a season of HOT days. Loads of warning signs around the lake regarding swimmers itch and other buggy bacteria- enticing?


Cubby seems satisfied with this 1/2 mile  walk, come home, autumn crocus blooming , though not their usual dark purple- transparent  petals, delicate, weak. Cubby "waters" them , as he is not completely  empty. Now he is.
There are five deer in the yard, ignoring us as we scoot by .
Twin faun bookends establishing winter coats  , looking scruffy.

Ten after midnight Cubby reckons it might be a good time to go for a walk. UGH- We do not go far, he leaves a poo that I can not see to pick up. I leave it. At 1:00 am, he woofs by the door, again we go out and stay under the street lamp so I can see where his poo lands.

If we had a fenced yard I could just let him out to do business , if we ever got another dog I would insist - but lucky for us, we will not have another dog. Not in this life!

12 comments:

  1. Interesting that Cubby demanded a ride to a different area. It looks a nice place, the lake, but ick on the swimmers itch, that sounds nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there are showers available but, yes, swimmers itch is unpleasant!

      Delete
  2. You are a far better woman than I. Just the idea of getting up to walk a dog at midnight makes me want to die a little. I could not. I would not. Temporary fencing? Could that be done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only ten more days until his humans come back- they gave a fenced yard for good reason. A midnight walk is not great plus it is getting chilly! It is NOT pajama/ bare foot weather.

      Delete
  3. You are a very kind and accommodating doggie caregiver. I don't think I'd get out at midnight to walk a dog. It is so very beautiful there in the fall. Love the blue skies and mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very nice at the moment- changing to be crisp fall weather! The chill is here!

      Delete
  4. Fall crocus are lovely. Mine at the old house are in full bloom, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swimmer's itch? I'm not even sure what that is. Not sure I want to know!

    Fortunately I do not have a dog who needs middle-of-the-night garden access. Not yet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cubby's clock is off- sleeps a good part of the day when he takes walks at midnight. Swimmers itch: The parasite larvae that cause swimmer's itch are known as cercariae. The parasites that cause swimmer's itch originate from infected birds that live near water, such as ducks, geese and gulls, and mammals like beavers, muskrats and raccoons.
      So, not a good idea to swim there in the lake, but people do anyway.

      Delete
  6. Your deer full-house beats my pair.
    I need to accompany my dogs for bathroom breaks because Penny likes to eat it *GAG*. A headlight is my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not like deer in my yard. Never heard of swimmer's itch. We just have flesh eating bacteria in the Gulf. Fun stuff. Don't go swimming with an open sore.

    ReplyDelete