My Blog List

Friday, April 15, 2022

here it is again, the whole Easter shebang!

So this is the day that Jesus dies yet again and passover begins. The tulips are shivering, the sky is dark, the temperature could be warmer.

We know what's coming though, Zombie jesus returns right on target, Sunday we will eat bunny eggs ( I think that is what they are) 

We always dressed for Easter- to go to Helga's house for Easter dinner. Helga was Swedish - my Grandmother's best friend, served as another Grannie, sort of. Helga was not the grannie type really, She could cook but she had an off -standish personality, and she was BIG and cross.  We minded our manners. Once I was asked, at age seven, to say the grace- I didn't have a clue what a grace was, I said something like "I like the  butter rolls, thank you jesus for the butter rolls." I was never asked again. and the adults all shifted uncomfortably on their hard  Helga chairs ,  embarrassed Mom tried to gloss over my ignorance by "gracing"  something more appropriate.

My Grandmother, Lily,  and Helga, double wedding. Everyone spoke block head from the north. They cooked , were good wives, had children, Lilly had four boys and Helga had three. Best friends until Lily died at age 52. I missed out on having a real grannie and Helga just did not fill the bill. She rarely spoke to us, maybe because of her limited English, I will give her that but also because she thought children were to stay away. Definitely not to be  heard. Her boys did not turn out well. 
 

My brother looks like a car salesman,"have I got a deal for you!" I look like a fluffy  toilet roll cover. Just swell.
Juanita and Elmer's homely children ready for butter rolls and ham at Helga's sit- up -straight  dinner.

We look like  witnesses coming around with the watchtower and the good word of the Lord- we thought we looked  mighty spiffy.Mom made our outfits on a treadle machine,  but our shoes were store bought. Oh , and the mickey mouse gloves that I wore came from Woolworths.  They were two sizes too big, could fold the finger tips up to look like  I had broken hands. Cool!

So happy Easter y'all. here comes jesus again, all white and glorious bringing you chocolate bunny eggs and light.


22 comments:

  1. This post was priceless! Had me laughing out loud! Thank you and Happy Easter :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good times on good Friday! Thanks for laughing and not sending me to hell!!

      Delete
  2. Yes, Happy Day They Killed Our Lord.
    I guess it's All Good Friday?
    You and your brother were darling. Your mama was quite a seamstress!
    I bet Helga never quite got over the death of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helga got a dog after Lily died. Everyone knew that Helga had the meanest dog in town.But I think that you are right, Actually , who ever knew Lily, never got over it, she was too young and too lovely to die! Life is unfair and jesus did not step up for that one!

      Delete
  3. The photo of you as a youngster sure looks a lot like me as a little girl in my Sunday school togs. Hat, gloves, bobby socks, the lot. Not much later, I grew too big for Mom to drag to church and I'd just go missing until the church hour came and went. I like your term 'Zombie jesus'. Your brand of humour is just the ticket to get through the fantasy. Curious now about Helga's sons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One son was a raging alcoholic, one was a big mean guy in town, named BEEF!!! The other guy became invisible, left town and was never heard from again. So, there you go. Is it nature or nurture?

      Delete
    2. I had a cousin who left town and was never heard from again. He was 16, named Kai although I'm not sure of the spelling, younger brother of my cousin Bernie, Kai had the same golden curls as my younger brother Michael.

      Delete
  4. Looks like pictures of my brothers and me, and later my little sister. Actually, your brother looks amazingly like my oldest brother. Must have been the time and the costume.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fashion of the times- Dress the kids like door to door solicitors.

      Delete
  5. Well, I bet Easter Jesus appreciated you acknowledging the butter rolls! I enjoyed the backstories and the Easter photo montage. I remember dressing similarly with my similarly car salesman brother. Only on Easter, when bunnies lay eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes mysterious bunnies! Easter is a pagan holiday for sure. Borrowed from jesus fans (stolen actually), Bunnies laying chocolate eggs makes more sense than the zombie jesus story.More fun anyway!

      Delete
  6. Lily looks like she is twelve! Far too young to marry. I guess it all turned out okay though, because here you are.
    I remember the days when little girls wore hats and gloves and white shoes to church and even to Sunday School, which I rarely went to. I never had white shoes, my mum declared them too hard to keep clean.
    I always forget which day Jesus got hoisted up on that cross, and everyone else forgets that he wasn't the only one. Back in those days it was the accepted punishment for many criminals, petty or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it rather amazing that folks wear crosses in jewelry- Instrument of torture and death- how weird!

      Delete
  7. You brought back memories of Easter hats and little girl gloves, and me begging my mother to please let me take them off now because "everyone has already seen them." Poor Helga. Something in her was fractured. That double wedding picture though. It holds stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Helga, some folks get up on the wrong side of life- she lived longer than any of them though,she caught me in a lie one time but was very understanding and talked me through it nicely.

      Delete
  8. Those photos look so familiar to me. I'm sure I have some similar ones in my box of old photos somewhere. I do remember getting all dressed up for Easter and I remember my mom cooking a big Easter dinner for family and friends. Pass the chocolate eggs please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Egg salad for days after! Finding died hard boiled eggs was not my idea of a treat...at all. We did get one chocolate rabbit from godparents though and that was pretty great.

      Delete
  9. Remember the big chocolate eggs you could get at the local five and dime stores with your name written on it? I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all looked like toilet roll covers back then. But you were a cute one! I love your grace and you would have been more than welcome at my table with that one.

    Tonight we will do what we usually do on Good Friday -- color eggs with friends and then watch Life of Brian. We will chant along and sing Always Look on the Bright Side of LIfe. Then we'll go back and watch our favorite parts over again. Tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE your tradition- Life of Brian on Good Friday is just the coolest thing you could ever do!! "well at least it gets you out in the open air"

      Delete