My Blog List

Saturday, April 23, 2022

get an ice cream cone

Off the extra board, rail road talk for now being on  a  schedule - time off, "hop in the truck, Sue- let's go get an ice cream cone".  1958 ford pick up took us, I learned how to drive it when I was about twelve or thirteen. The photo  -me in the custom cab  15 years later after driving it  to the PNW to haul cords of wood and to make life easier living like a damned pioneer. Dad got a new car- fancy!We were both happy about the deal! He sold it to me for a dollar.


 

Anyway, back to the Ice cream-We drove  miles  to Fort Steele because Dad loved to see where the Rail Road had been defended  against Indians- built in 1868 until 1886- transcontinental RR , one of the  places where his grand dad worked as a lawman. It became a small military town during that time. The school house remains, out there in the  nothing windswept dirt. Photos captured from google.  chimneys  are still erect and a grave yard is still there, but mostly dirt.

The UTEs were tired of white man taking over their land , they fought hard, finally settled on some kind of broken treaty and lost. Big surprise. Great grand dad cowboy-ed  in that area, before he became the night Marshal, another reason Dad had an affinity for the place, I guess.

After going through the little towns of Sinclair and Fort Steele we went a few zillion  more miles up to Como bluff , where dad showed me the oldest house in the world-The house that once walked! 


Made entirely of dinosaur bones, 5,796 to be exact. Built on dinosaur graveyard, where 247 of 250 known Jurassic era mammals lived and died, Como Bluff is one of the most significant locations in Paleontology. It was a way station and became , appropriately,  part of a gas station. Where the deer and antelope play. Wind howls steadily, dust devils whirl. Wyoming beats you up!


Rattlesnakes  everywhere but not scary, they mind their own business unless some idiot harasses them or, unless, they are  blinded by shedding their skin. Anyway the sign might scare off the folks who have no business being in Wyoming. Slickers!

Wyoming folks are welcoming and friendly usually , unless you are an idiot or a goddam  hippie.


We finally make it to our destination  just " to get an ice cream cone" several zillion hundred miles later. Medicine Bow. A scoop of chocolate and one of chocolate chip- dad always had a scoop of  vanilla on another scoop of vanilla. Fancy going all that way for vanilla? Nothing much exists in Medicine Bow- I think the population is around two hundred maybe fewer these days.

Known for its Virginian Hotel and for being a way  station on the  old Lincoln highway between Laramie and Rawlins also known for the most serious plane crash ever in  1955. United flight 409 carrying military and Mormon Tabernacle choir smacked into the highest peak in southern Wyoming, Medicine Bow Peak The charred mountain side still remains  charred , bits of the flight can still be found.  We always stopped , got real quiet, and thought about it - I swore I would never fly in an airplane, ever , or sing in the Mormon Tabernacle choir. 

Whenever Dad said "hop in the truck"- I knew the drive would be a daylong event, Wyoming is vacant and large -generally we were the only vehicle on the road or off road, depending on Dad's whim. "Hop in the truck " meant not seeing your friends , not talking on the phone, not waiting for something-anything, to please happen. Hours alone, in the middle of dirt and wind , one  had to be creative. Glad I grew up there, it was good  "training". Couldn't wait to leave!  Like they say "a good place to be from." My sentimental journey for the day -glad you tagged along. Now on to more important things than dilly dallying around in the past- cleaning before we leave for fourteen days. Meh...

26 comments:

  1. An ice cream education. I always enjoyed driving with one or the other of my parents. Learned a lot from my mom; dad didn't talk about himself. I learned other things from him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty cool hanging out with a parent who taught stuff in an indirect manner. Lets go get ice cream and by the way, here's some history that you will not learn in school.

      Delete
  2. I grew up on the middle of nowhere prairies of Montana, right next to middle of nowhere Wyoming and middle of nowhere Dakotas. My Dad would take us on Sunday afternoon drives through that middle of nowhere. I remember him moo-ing at the cattle hanging out by the road and they would slowly lumber along beside us. Although it was a good place to spend my elementary school years I was ready when we moved to Seattle when I was 11. Now, when I have an opportunity to take a driving trip through that area, I still feel a real pull to that landscape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleven, you got out just in time!! It is remarkable that places like that exist! When I arrived in the PNW I was sure I was dead being rewarded for a good life, trees and water and no bugs! Glory be!!

      Delete
  3. I just went exploring the area on Google Maps, and discovered there is a blizzard warning for my county in Montana. Another reason I was glad to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brutal winters right?? I just checked and Yep, snow blizzard, wind faster than a bus on a downhill slope.Dear lord - no wonder those places have very little population. Got to be hearty!

      Delete
  4. Leaving for fourteen days? Whereyagoin'?
    I love the Dinosaur house and am sending those photos to my daughter K (aka "no-one") who loves dinosaurs and paleontology. now I have to open the big atlas and see where Wyoming is exactly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to the desert. Dennis has never been, he is nearly 84 so - now or never I reckon!

      Delete
  5. I found it, neat little square above Utah and Colorado, doesn't look all that big on paper, I guess you have to drive across it to experience the size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is not enormous in the enormous sense- not like crossing from Perth to Melbourne, but it is large in that there are very few towns and fewer people, No one scrambles to live there, it is so harsh and the politics are so wrong.
      Lots of empty.

      Delete
    2. wyoming is larger than UK, a bit smaller than France.

      Delete
    3. It would feel smaller filled with small towns and farms, the wide open spaces are what makes it huge.

      Delete
    4. You are so right, no people , few towns makes a difference

      Delete
  6. I can't imagine having a father like that. It's impossible to say what he gave you in those drives that you still carry with you today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had so much curiosity about earth and big machines and dams. We went on a dam trip one summer, not my fave! Geology and rocks were his big thrill too, that carried over for sure- give me a rock and I am happy!

      Delete
  7. That was such an incredibly beautiful and enlightening journey. Makes me wish I had taken a long drive like that with my dad. Love these photos, especially that dinosaur house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really appreciate those trips with Dad at the time, of course.

      Delete
  8. Being in such a big, empty place sounds weirdly romantic to me, though I'm sure it didn't seem that way at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High school was the worst but otherwise Wyoming was as far as one could see. Forever land. It is great to drive around in the summer months, so much wild life! Medicine wheels out in the middle of nowhere, no roads just cross country. Adventure!

      Delete
  9. Wyoming is just up the road, we could "hop in the truck" and go see the dinosaur house! Two hours away according to google! Unless... wind...
    Pleasant journey you took us on there, Linda Sue (although the Utes might think otherwise). Nice place to be from, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. south of The high plains is a pretty great place to be, you are lucky I reckon.

      Delete
  10. Love that ice cream shop. What a fun road trip. A house of doni bones? Wow. Thanks for this one -- it's a part of the country I don't know. And I haven't been out in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wyo is a road trip! Take gallons of water, fire starter, extra gas can,extra clothing, extra tires, food, and a rifle- going out for the day, never know ....

      Delete
  11. The past can be a lovely and instructive prologue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy the desert, hope you two have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete