My Blog List

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Generous folks die in the spring- to make room



SINGULARITY
by Marie Howe

          (after Stephen Hawking)

Do you sometimes want to wake up to the singularity
we once were?

so compact nobody
needed a bed, or food or money —

nobody hiding in the school bathroom
or home alone

pulling open the drawer
where the pills are kept.

For every atom belonging to me as good
Belongs to you.
   Remember?

There was no   Nature.    No
 them.   No tests

to determine if the elephant
grieves her calf    or if

the coral reef feels pain.    Trashed
oceans don’t speak English or Farsi or French;

would that we could wake up   to what we were
— when we were ocean    and before that

to when sky was earth, and animal was energy, and rock was
liquid and stars were space and space was not

at all — nothing

before we came to believe humans were so important
before this awful loneliness.

Can molecules recall it?
what once was?    before anything happened?

No I, no We, no one. No was
No verb      no noun
only a tiny tiny dot brimming with

is is is is is

All   everything   home

 

(photo, 

when our  Smiley died , we went half way with her 

- we-all- one)

 

10 comments:

  1. I don't want to return to nothing. Not yet. I like life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too, can you imagine NOT living life fully because of a contrived afterlife of reward and judgement? Weird.

      Delete
  2. I love this poem. I'm going to add it to my "Saved Gems" file. Yes. We all one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought provoking poem. Rest in Peace, Smiley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiley is up to shenanigans IF she is anywhere else- who knows.Smiley was a force.

      Delete
  4. I like this poem. Thank you for sharing it. May Smiley's memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A blessing for sure. She forced us to do the whole death thing with her and I am not even kidding!

      Delete
  5. Lovely, lovely poem. Did you watch Grace and Frankie and the death of Babe? Not the same, except taking someone along for the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did watch G&F and that episode! Wonderful.

      Delete