My Blog List

Thursday, April 21, 2022

Douglas blue blood and rock babies

I have never paid much attention to Douglas fir, just took it for granted, like  the rest of the trees in the neighborhood. The sun hit this one just right and gave me an eye full of sparking blue. The sap is highly flammable , used for coating small sticks to take on a hike. Great for starting fires without smoke.  Douglas Fir is edible and medicinal , used by the Salish for centuries. When I was new to this area I studied wild plants and harvested a good many of them , we ate a lot from the forest and the bay. I rarely went to the grocery store, plus I had a year round garden and got free eggs ,  rejected  imperfect ones from  the university  farm. Easy living!

                              Everything you ever wanted to know about Douglas.


Left over daffodils ,  angry. They have been bashed by wind and heavy rain and are just over it, thank you very much.  Look at those faces! Not happy.
Growing in the rock wall- Lamium pupureum- edible when young and packed with goodness. Volunteers that usually get weeded out - they will over take a patch of ground in short order. The tops and the flowers are delicious.
 Our rock wall is producing  rock babies, too. It is interesting to see what the wall attracts, there are of course weeds not wanted but I like to leave them there. They went to all of the trouble to grow in rock and knit the stones together so gravity has less of a chance.
Dark clouds rolling in again, temperature is on the edge - Layers of clothing worn. Weirdest spring I can remember! But , then, my memory is not to be trusted....for instance, this morning I could not remember what planet I was on. It's getting weird out there!

14 comments:

  1. That lamium may be invasive but I like it. I tend to let it go in our garden. Then again, I let the dandelions go too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it too. It does not make much noise in the garden and it is good in sald and infusions. The other weeds with tiny yellow flowers are weeds that really so not belong. I take those out before they seed.

      Delete
  2. Douglas Firs are gorgeous trees.
    Those daffodils do indeed look angry.
    I did not know that rocks can reproduce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that either- but there you go- proof!

      Delete
  3. I did not know about the edible or the medicinal part of Douglas fir, nor the flammable aspect of its sap. That must make firefighting pretty difficult. I loved reading about your wild plant harvests back in the day. Beautiful photos. What planet are we on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about Douglas fir, - it is a very useful tree - I would like to dye some stuff with the bark just out of curiosity.

      Delete
  4. I love that the rock wall is having babies! And yes, those daffs do look a bit angry -- but still standing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two more daffodils popped up and they look equally as angry as the old ones. Solidarity with the sunflowers maybe?

      Delete
  5. Look at the blue on that Douglas fir. I thought you were joking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not noticed such a blue sap before but the sun caught it just right and it looked like a party of some sort, the phtos do not sparkle like real life sap !

      Delete
  6. Things are bad when you can't remember what planet you are on. Do you travel to other planets often?
    I've never heard of blue sap. I love the rock babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia in the middle seems like another planet, I traveled there!

      Delete
  7. A bouquet of babies, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete