My Blog List

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Det var helt texas

Det var helt texas. "texas" has come to mean " completely crazy" in Norwegian slang. The word is slang for" completely crazy"  and is used to refer to a chaotic  word is slang for" completely crazy"  and is used to refer to a chaotic atmosphere
 

The month of May in Norway is "texas" for graduating students. 

Click the link to read about how Norwegians celebrate, a one time only, month long party.

Increasingly wilder, more texas  than ever and there is talk of toning it down a bit before the kids go off the rails entirely.

Photo of the students wishing us well while we boarded the train in Lillehammer.


How did "texas" become an adjective for crazy totally bonkers  ignorant  nonsensical  bizarro  chaos?

Obvious to us living in the states, obvious to everyone except maybe Texans.But to become a word used  in Norwegian  every day vernacular certainly drives it home! Texas is effin' nuts!

The latest, of course is  the 26 year old girl Lizelle Herrera, arrested and jailed for murder after having a self induced abortion, $500,000.00, bail." Texas Taliban" , I think is the term. Really Texas- go to re-hab, clearly you are drunk all of the time- and a mean drunk you are.

-0-

My parents moved to South Texas having grown weary of Wyoming brutal winters. It was OK-ish, until they needed medical attention. 

My Dad required surgery , my mother was diagnosed (misdiagnosed, it turns out) with leukemia. While my mother was being treated with multiple transfusions resulting in  her becoming  even more ill, my Dad , short changed on oxygen during the surgery , remained comatose for a couple of months. When he regained  in and out consciousness, he was sometimes four years old, I was his Mother, or he was a rake and I was his floosy  girlfriend, or I was his wife's friend that had just dropped by for a cuppa- but, sometimes , I was his daughter in real time for a few minutes, enough to let me know that he was still in there somewhere.  

Fed through a tube, and hooked up to IV meds- he tore them out because they were rattlesnakes and he had to get them out of the room.  they were not replaced so he got bone thin and weaker by the day. Sometimes he was "incarcerated" because he" saw what they did and how they planted their firearms under his bed and in his drawer." The staff treated him badly because "crazy old man..." One morning i went in and his hair had been yanked out by an attendant who wanted Dad to sit down and be still.

After we moved them both to Colorado, both improved but the TEXAS medical so called profession had done its worst, shortening their lives considerably, causing so much damage and heart ache.

The Tort Reform law made it, and still makes it, impossible to sue negligent doctors in Texas. Bad doctors flock to Texas knowing that they will be sheltered. Thus- Doctor Death, which I have read about of course but will not see the movie.

This is Dad in Colorado, feeling better , enjoying his favorite place where he went to get coffee every day. This was taken shortly before he cashed in his chips. Mom died earlier than he, having finally gotten settled in Colorado and diagnosed properly, no leukemia- a more simple matter of anemia which could be treated with vitamins. Jesus! TEXAS!! Y'all killed my folks!

"well, Sue, That's the way it goes", I can imagine Dad saying, as he generally did. shouldn't have moved to godamn texas.

I am pissed off and sad and really loathe  everything texas. If there is a contest for dumbest state in the union, texas , hands down!

Dennis wants us to go see the solar eclipse  2024 in that horrid state of arrogant  ignorant mean dumbass bastards. NO WAY.  would be great for the sun to shun texas forever more. 

Norwegians know. Texas is crazy.

18 comments:

  1. Can I just say "Holy shit, what a freakin' nightmare of a Texas story." I cannot believe what your parents went through there in the so-called Texas medical system. What a bunch of incompetent, deadly, outrageous schmucks. I'm just blown away by this. I am glad that Norway has a new word for "completely crazy." Yes, Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND that is just part of the story for my folks. It is a cruel one to say the least. Yeah, I pretty much want to scissor texas off of the map or give it back to Mexico , though they are too smart to take it back!

      Delete
  2. Good lord. I had no idea.
    I knew Texas was chock full of knuckle draggers, but GEESH! Horrifying.
    And I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Marty. So sorry, My grandson got a full ride to go to Medical School in
      Dallas! Which is astonishing in itself, however, when he got there, he booked a ticket back to Seattle as quickly as he could and changed careers , still in the medical field but NOT THERE- and not like that.He was amazed at how horrid texas is.

      Delete
  3. I started to write a post tonight about the Texas "thang", and just suspended it and wrote about weaving. When I put together a few more adjectives I may pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha , stick to weaving- you will remain sane.

      Delete
  4. This was shocking to read and I didn't click the link for the Norwegian stuff yet. I knew Texas was going bad, but didn't realise how bad and how long it had already been that way. That poor woman arrested for murder! Are there any parts of America that are safe to visit? Not that I'm coming, ever, even if I could afford it, which I can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't come to
      America, unless there is a very good reason, a specific thing that no other country offers. No, there are much better countries to visit .

      Delete
  5. The Norwegian tradition sounds a lot like what we call "Schoolies" (dumb name) and it's when cashed up youngsters all go to Victor Harbor here in South Australia (different places in other states) and generally party like there's no tomorrow, they get wildly drunk and out of control and in the last few years there has been trouble serious enough for the police to be called. There's much talk each year about how the whole thing should be cancelled, it certainly wasn't a done thing when I went to school, it's a more recent phenomenon and a bad one in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad we did not have that sort of thing- our graduations were rather somber. We went home and started planning.

      Delete
  6. But we have to remember that there are good people in Texas too. Very good people. Maybe not enough of them. I'm so sorry that your family suffered there so. Florida has the same reputation- and deservedly so! But I know many, many wonderful, liberal, loving people who live in Florida. There are things about this state that are horrible and there are things about this state that are wonderful. I am not defending either state, I am just saying that it serves no purpose to simply blanket-condemn. The governments? Yes. Condemn them. I have no problem with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. government by the people and for the people, Of course there are good and bad folks everywhere- EVERYWHERE , There are pockets where people are made to feel comfortable with the politics of that government or the gun toting god fearing white supremicists- Clan, tribe- you know.Recognized for an area of that sort can be beneficial to those who are not familiar with the politcs of a place, I sure as hell did not know about texas until my parents moved there. Ellen lives in texas and you live in florida and my son lives in Portland- so...Germans were good people. It is true that because our country is severed , like minds tend to gather together, Guess where the crazies go? There is
      austin, cool city. and I suppose there is a decent town somewhere in Florida-there is also a decent neighborhood in Portland but overall ...you know . Erik is going through a grueling process to try to change that, good people will step up - try to elicit change.Write letters, boycott, demonstrate,stick support on a window, have a voice. otherwise Det Var Helt texas, and it becomes Norwegian vernacular- That is some serious adjective making right there.Norway, for godsake!!

      Delete
    2. Yes. The cool people move to the cool places and the retired, Republican assholes move to Florida. And they vote.

      Delete
    3. birds of a feather makes so much sense to me now.

      Delete
  7. What a horrible experience for your family. I'm glad the move did some good but nonetheless, the damage was done. Texas -- definitely crazy zone. In many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas is totally weird- like it is its own nation and there is pride in that...why? Got me!

      Delete
  8. I was unaware of tort reform law protecting Texas incompetent doctors. And the abortionist/murderer - JEEZ-us! Sorry about your parents. Glad you have some good memories.

    Texans flock to Colorado - all spring, summer, and most of winter. I worked a touristy hotel in my formative years, and they about did me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A touristy hotel - you are a mighty warrior!! I am amazed you survived that!

      Delete