My Blog List

Thursday, April 7, 2022

a poke in the eye, a fabulous story and a rabbit

"They will be able to fly. They will fly in a circle in the direction of the good eye. They will find it very difficult if not impossible to land anywhere besides the ground. The potential for injury is high. If injured or unable to perch, they will be living on the ground where they are at risk. They will have great difficulty in gathering food. Just trying to pick up a worm from the ground in front of them is extremely difficult. Birds that primarily live on the ground may survive. Birds that migrate or live in the trees will not."

Jay sitting on the deck chair for a very long time, we could not figure out why until I snapped this shot. At first Dennis thought it was a cherry petal stuck to its cheek.  We left water out on the deck and some  raccoon kibble. It ate and drank and...flew away! NOT in a circle and landed on the plum tree. So there Mr. Google -know-it-all.

This is Emily's rhody- blooming faster than any in our neighborhood  probably because we live closer to the water and she lives in a cozy little part of town. I went to see Flora this morning but had to turn around and come back home without a Flora fix.

Yesterday I had the second booster . Surprisingly it made me feel unwell. I slept for the better part of the day, missing all of the excitement of  bland Thursday. I thought that maybe eating three chicken tacos would make me feel better, It did not,  surely five chocolate chip cookies would...they did not. 

-0-

Funny how you can be married to a person for 100 years and not have heard every story six or seven times- The Man told me one that was new to me, probably because the Man was ashamed it happened and did not want to sully his stellar reputation. 

When he was in high school , just graduating, his good friend also was graduating. His friend , we will call him  Doug to protect his identity, had offers from the best universities in the land because Doug was absolutely brilliant. His folks were so proud of him . His folks were also a little bit too pushy when it came to their son's decisions.  Doug decided that he wanted more than anything to be a pastor. All his life he just wanted to pastor - ize. "Absolutely NOT" , they said.

The only way he could fulfill his dream was to fake his own death.The Man helped him, rowed out in two boats, left one with Doug's hat - Doug found his way to California where he hid. The parents were devastated to have lost their golden child, there was a service, everyone wept....then things did not quite add up. The law came to the door with Doug's father and took the Man to the station where he told them the story. The good thing was that the law sided with the boys and thought the parents were too controlling- after all the lad wanted to serve the lord...so, nobody got thrown into the slammer, I guess they were just out a few bucks for funeral flowers and heartache. 

Wild! See what eventually  comes out if one sticks around long enough? We have been married since  July 1985- that is pretty close to forever isn't it? Probably on his death bed he will have more skeletons rattling  out of the closet.  Whomever is around then will be well entertained.

Happy Spring! here he is again.




22 comments:

  1. My mind was racing through every possibility you would have of raising One Eye Jay, making a new life for him of kibble and water when, pflouf, off he went. Probably a she, though. More gumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Undoubtedly a SHE! I don't think kibble is good for her though. I put out peanuts .

      Delete
  2. I love that you are going to help and take care of that Jay. I hope it survives and thrives.
    Such an interesting and wild story about your husband and his brother. I love how your husband helped his brother fulfill his dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jay came back this evening- notfeeling very well, all puffed up . poor thing. I am not sure Doug ever became a pastor.

      Delete
    2. Is there a wildlife rescue there? I wonder if they could help this poor bird.

      Delete
  3. Wow -- that is QUITE a story. I'm pretty sure I don't have anything that interesting or exciting hiding in my past! I bet the jay will be fine. Nature is more resilient than we give it credit for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Dave has stories from the past that you will not hear about until you have been married for 100 years! Still a ways to go.
      Either the jay will adapt or she will be food for some one- raccoons love to eat birds.

      Delete
  4. I have been married almost a year longer than you and I would be shocked to pieces if Glen told me a story like that. Amazing! It could be a book!
    Poor little jaybird. If it has a chance of survival, you will be part of that, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a chapter, maybe. Funny , knowing how
      Dennis never does anything wrong!

      Delete
  5. Dennis, an accomplice to a crime?? Shocking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a thing in my past I don't talk about but not because I'm ashamed or regret it and if I was asked flat out I would admit it. Didn't involve the police though. But I do have a story about my youth, same age as Dennis that I do regret and am ashamed of that does involve the police that I will tell.

    I wonder how the jay lost it's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that your darling bunny? He's perfection! Love the people's feet! And that's a great story. Boys!

    I never knew that about birds. It's always a good thing when Google is wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rabbit with attitude! And yes, faking a death is quite the story!! What were they thinking!!

      Delete
  8. I love that graphic so much I shared it on my Facebook page! LOL
    Hopefully the jay hangs around to receive your tender, loving care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i did draw the rabbit with lucky human foots- turn around is fair play.

      Delete
  9. That story being shared with you, now, after all these years together! All the nuance in that--in The Man and Doug's story and in his finally revealing it to you. It got me to thinking about shame and how it sticks with us and keeps us silent about a part of our history. As I wrote that, I had a realization about how that applies to what's going on in our country's cultural civil war. Geez. There's no escaping it. The way you write about the story got me to thinking about shame--which of my stories bring me shame--those are the ones that I sometimes relive at 3:30 a.m. when I cannot sleep. Confession may be good for the soul and help us sleep. But goodness, another odd part of the story is the law siding with the boys on this one. Times were different than they are now, for sure. And your good-luck-charm-carrying-bunny painting is marvelous! I love how your mind works, LS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don[t think it was anything to do with shame, just that it was something that happened that he forgot about, maybe. It's a good one isn't it??? Hi-jinx!Confession , tell the dude behind the magic screen and he will tell you to go say some mumbo jumbo incantations and all is forgotten. Catholic boys got away with all sorts of shenanigans that way. The rabbit is after your children's foots...

      Delete
    2. you know that rabbit looks like he has a neck ruff with paws on the ends and other arms that are in his bunny suit pocket, but - not reality we are after is it? I couldn't do reality if I tried.
      Shame is a weird thing- I do not subscribe to shame.

      Delete
  10. Whoa, watta story! I wonder, did Pastor Doug reconcile with the controlling parents?
    And that's a lucky bunny ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure what happened but I think the young man who died but didn't die went on to some other career.

      Delete
  11. I've grown a rhodedendron but it won't bloom. :(

    ReplyDelete