My Blog List

Saturday, July 10, 2021

frightening reflection, cake pan bath, developer delusions


 

This morning one of the babies discovered its reflection in the glass door. 



Hey, sister, look at that thing !


Holy cow, what is that thing?  


I am getting out of here, going over to the cake pan pool-

time for a soak after that scare.

 a roll around ,  a few kibbles, and off they go , back to the forest with a tale to tell .

We live in a mini-semi wild place, lots of trails and nature around, we like to keep it that way and fight hard to do so. HOWEVER- this developer sneaked his way in without too much notice , on ground that is not stable and is meant for nature to have its way. Not sure what environmental impact this developer might have , or IF he will be allowed to finish his horrid project of townhouses along the creek. Already he has done much damage to the salmon run along the creek, trying to build on squishy land, collapsing the shore, foundation of concrete sinking, sinking, causing more issues, trees uprooted and falling.  If the townhouses do get built they will be a disaster to those  unaware buyers - the squishy land that is sure to topple their million dollar abodes, By that time the developer will be long gone, the damage done will be - done.





This morning I popped out to see if the car's light had been left on all night, It had not , the sun made it look like it was burning.  Oh that clever sun!

Took a quick shot of the succulent which is taller now and has flowers on the tips. 

Weird  looking plant .

I thought I had made ferry reservations to go to Orcas soonish- Good thing I checked because I had not! The ferry is a damned hassle these days, too many people/tourists going to the San Juans, I am a  bit possessive about this area , I realize I better get over it. Gone are the days.
Dennis will take the Ecar, I will take my Subaru- I reckon that the carbon I use will be insignificant  and that all is too little too late during this holocene extinction .  Anyway, I will continue to drive the Subaru occasionally and feed the raccoons, both being the wrong thing to do. Consequences and adapting are in fifth gear- going quickly y'all and so it goes. 

12 comments:

  1. I can not believe that development was permitted by the state or county or who ever does permitting. A long time ago in Seattle, three houses built along I5 leaned over and now I don't remember what happened to them. It was a significant lean. Destroying a fish run is just evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The building permits in this town have gone the way of all greed- terrible buildings, instant ghettos, poorly designed. Seems we are always fighting for sensible choices but have been bamboozled this year especially during covid, Buildings going up under the cover of darkness with people in stay at home mode. Tragic. This town is no longer the charming/ sensible little place it was.

      Delete
  2. Wow, building on unsafe ground. It's almost like that huge condominium in Florida didn't fall down for all of us to see. When will we learn... when will we ever learn?
    The raccoons are adorable as they view their reflections. A whole new world for them.
    The Holocene Extinction... yes, that's where we are these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans learn? Doesn't seem to happen does it? Short sighted always, greedy always. Must be in our DNA and that is why - holocene extinction, obviously.

      Delete
  3. I've lived in bigger cities as well as small towns, and know the difficulty of influencing a committee of men (and women) in quid pro quo mode in the city. A citizen cannot just show up and be influential, as in a small town. I think one would have to be present and vocal at every meeting to have some (or no) influence. Fortunately it can be different in smaller jurisdictions. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think after the Miami disaster developers would think more carefully about where to build. One of our suburbs was built on reclaimed swamp grounds and it seems to be okay so far, apart from too many mosquitoes, but I would never buy a house there even if I could afford it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hollah fo de dollah!! That is what is all about, build them quickly and get outta town!

      Delete
  5. unbelievable that your town government allowed that to happen, allow it to continue after all the damage and problems. but, somebody got paid under the table I guess. it's the way. did I miss something? where are you going that you need two cars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are going to Orcas island. Not a walkable island and we are going at different times. It's an annual thing with family.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the development -- but then you've seen what's near our cottage! Your swampy area for the new building sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

    Meanwhile, the babies are so darned cute! That is odd to think about -- most wild animals never see themselves. They need a mirror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The response of the little raccoon to its reflection was hilarious to watch. This lot seem more skittish than last years. Probably a good thing.

      Delete