Beauty queen mouse, felted and given away.
High school friends ,stunning in formals and sensible foot gear.
Dressed for a ride in the Outlaw Day parade, looking unlike outlaws. We did dress up quite a lot back in the olden days- In the middle of nowhere Wyoming . Nothing better to do I suppose and we were told by magazines from the outside world that looking like this was they best way to be. We did not want to be hicks, for godsake!
There was a dress code for girls - never trousers, never short skirts, spoolies, pointy toed 1.5" heels were the thing , which deformed the growth of feet . X-rays of my feet now are gnarly and grossly curled like the desired lotus blossom of foot binding. Ah, the price of beauty and fashion- in the middle of bumfug Wyoming.
( photo: Eve and Euleta)
Mid sixties- a shit time for women.
(photo: self and Mary Lynn)

This morning , lying in bed at 5:45 am, I heard unmistakable baby sounds , chirping trilling chorus of new raccoon babies. Dashed upstairs to get a photo and to see how many babies there are.
My battery was dead and the window was muddy from the forest children's paws. I took these with my phone.
There are four babies being cuter than you could even stand! Three of them fascinated with the worm bin, the cardboard box turned on its side to prevent sun bearing down on the worm house, the other adventuring away from the lot, checking things out - a curious naughty child. Must be a boy...
So it begins , my obsession with baby raccoons. Sorry, y'all .
I will likely start doing this needle felting of nonsense again soon. We will be going to Orcas island at the end of the month. I will take my stabbing of wool stuff, or so I plan. Anything can happen between now and then- I never set goals any more. But I am in the stabbing mood so may as well take it all with me .
I do not know how this tiny photo got here, I can not dump it because blogger is sometimes a dumb ass.







Just seeing the photos of you all dressed up circa 1960s reminds me of my school days of the same era back in New Jersey. We had a dress code at the public school there. My parents were called once to bring me something different to wear because my skirt was too short. The principal had me stand in his office and turn around for him so he could approve my skirt length. Pants were not allowed until my senior year 1969-70. Oh those were the days. No wonder we started smoking pot, went to rock concerts and tried to create a whole new reality.
ReplyDeleteLove seeing the baby raccoons there!
Oh man, pot and acid and rock and roll saved us! The free store, the organic gardening, communal living, bare feet all year round, fresh scrubbed faces and hair down to our butts! Oh yes, we were saved!
DeleteCheck you all formaled out with gloves and flip hair! Beauties. Personally, I mostly rebelled against the foot binding shoes "required", but didn't totally escape.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the raccoon quadruplets!
Thank you for the congratulations for my new borns. They are so damned cute I just , can't , even!
DeleteI want to nurse them...
Back in the olden days before you were born, we had to wear the dumbest stuff, in blizzards walking to school , below zero- nylon stockings??? bloody hell!
Something I only recently noticed in your raccoon recording:
ReplyDeleteraccoons sit up on their bums! with their little legs stretched out.
OMG, so like young humans (and sometimes old ones too).
You look as cute as a Mouse Queen!
Did you know you looked exactly like you were supposed to?
I mean, you look like a magazine, but I wonder if you felt that way?
Or did you feel awkward and wrong?
I always felt awkward and wrong, and then I look at photos and amazed that I didn't LOOK that way. (Well, sometimes.)
Hey, Is that Euleta who ordered a Dolls Help calendar from the girlettes! She said she knew you from forever.
P.S. Is the mom raccoon the one who always comes around, the one with the scar?
DeleteYes that is my Euleta! She was gorgeous, she was the queen of the prom!
DeleteNo, I felt like a poser- that was not me, On the inside i was a girlette. I never felt comfortable dressed like Barbie. I never felt comfortable period!
stabbing wool is very satisfying, takes forever! There will be blood!
ReplyDeleteThe felted beauty queen is as gorgeous as the baby raccoons.
ReplyDeleteI never cared two hoots for fashion, or even for being a girl. The only time I ever wore hairspray and heels was for my own wedding. I spent my childhood and early teen years running around on the beach in a swimsuit, being a child, while friends from school were trying out lipsticks and mascara and nail polish. Even my later teen years were mostly spent in jeans and t-shirts. I'm sorry to hear your feet are broken from the pointy toed monstrosities and equally glad that I never wore them.
I had the worst shoes on the planet! Five inch heels to try to dance in- being a girl was cruel back then. I am glad you didn't fall for it , except for that one time when you got married.
DeleteEven then the heels were only two inch block heels on knee high boots.
DeleteMemories...
ReplyDeleteWe WERE supposed to look like Barbie Dolls. Those flips. The girls who could achieve them perfectly were the most popular, the Best in Show for sure. Remember the stretchy head bands? The tiny little fake velvet bows on a hair clip?
Well. We survived. I never did have a flip. I grew my hair long after Jr. High. I realize now that I wanted to be a hippie from the first I ever heard of them. Had to be better than what was going on in my house.
Here we are now. You probably have raccoon shit on your deck, I have chicken shit on all the porches the chickens have access to. Phew. We survived to have real lives.
P.S. That mouse is the cutest damn thing I've ever seen.
DeleteOMG yes the little bows on springs- and bullet bras from woolworth.We did survive and we did cast off the shackles of expectation. Whew- my poor parents tried so hard to squeeze me into the "acceptable" box.
DeleteThe raccoons are disciplined in the potty area- they have a latrine somewhere- so- no poo on the deck, just forest mud.
Your mousie is exquisite. And a reminder I need to start poking again soon. My November sale will be here before I know it and my inventory is low. I have several started (bodies) and now I need to get with the color. Couldn't top this, though. Fabulous!
ReplyDelete