My Blog List

Saturday, June 26, 2021

straw lawn, pretty weed and bike thoughts


This  usually does not happen until late august , well after the sun has had its way with  growing things. So, the weather person was correct and we are having a bit too much sizzle at the moment. Today, tomorrow and two days following. Guess I won't be making banana bread or anything else for that matter. Energy zap! Warm (hotter than hell) weather makes me cranky and i just want to tell the whole world to shut the Eff up- Matt Hancock , British health Minister gets the boot for a kiss- the orange gass is starting his revenge hate tour, the Florida building was reported three years ago for structural failure -there is not enough ice cream on the globe to satisfy my  cranky hot angry  hunger this day. 


I moved everything to the shade, watered it well at sun up- so now they can boil.  Deck soup.

Yesterday before the heat became insane, I walked down to the little street library to drop off a few books. Took photos of the dinosaur plant that never fails to re-emerge after being covered in snow and pruned down to the floor.

 and these lovely weeds with purple flowers that the neighbor decide to shake all around the neighborhood because...pretty. It is pretty for five minutes , then spreads successfully , invades, takes over, and will not die. Dennis thought it was lavender so very carefully transplanted it into the front of the yard where the real lavender provides a bed for the fawn. Um, NO, I tore it out right away. NOT lavender! WEED and not the comfort kind.
These hot summer days take me right back to being a kid. At age six I got a JC Higgins made in England skinny tire  girls bike from Sears. Green. No training wheels, just get on the damn thing and head out! This was the epic , life changing moment of childhood . On my bike all day everyday until it  felt like  my own self with  faster legs, I  conquered the world! Freedom - "come home when it starts to get dark", my mother would say. 

I liked the challenge of "Don't go across the tracks, stay on this side"- of course I went across the tracks ,where the streets were hard  dirt and the feral dogs  chased me , bit my tires and tugged at my pedal pushers.  Horses roamed freely and rattlers  sunned themselves on the side of the road. That was fun!  Way more interesting than our quiet middle class neighborhood with everything measured and trimmed. 

I rode out to the cemetery- I rode up to the park and mountain view, over to the penitentiary, to the fair grounds.  I took it with us when we lived on Snowy range and rode it down to Crows camp- hot sun, burned to a freckled crisp, I rode it on  overgrown logging roads where the bear lived- no fear...at all.  In a state of grace. 

 I kept  and rode my bike until I left for Europe at age 26 and stored it in a friend's shed. Lost my bike to a thief.  Obviously  I still think about it. My parents had no idea what kind of terror  child they had until BIKE!  This is what my bike looked like,(from the interwebs)-pretty basic. I have not had another and the place where I live now is so hilly I would be walking my bike most of the way.  Anyway, those days are OVER. I am left with the best bike memories a girl could want in this life! Thank you Sears and Roebuck. 

 If you are in the hot zone right now, Lie on the floor and dream of your childhood bike and the snakes and bear and feral dogs that you are faster than -  Conquerer of all of the things!


32 comments:

  1. ALL OF THE THINGS! Channeling Allie Brosch? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha probably, I just ordered her newest book.

      Delete
  2. Your purple weed looks like Loosestrife, another purple plant I admired greatly on a trip through the Concord, Mass. area long ago. That is until I realized locals basically spit on the ground when the name comes up. I guess it's been methodically choking out everything in its path for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the name, i think it is loosestrife and it is aggressive, can grow anywhere, even in mid air!

      Delete
  3. That purple plant is evil, it must be killed. I, too, think it's Loosestrife. Do you have a flame thrower? My neighbors user to have one for the ditches. Kills everything on contact. The dinosaur plant is a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we do have a flame thrower and Dennis has used it a couple of times, nearly burned down the neighborhood I had to go out with the hose.

      Delete
  4. I toured my world on a Schwinn, fat tires. Didn't keep me home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bikes were the thing- no traffic either- When we ruled the world!

      Delete
  5. I remember my first bike was also green, but had no basket. I rode all over town on that thing for years! even after dark sometimes if I was late starting for home. I was ten when I got it, dad traded his old ride-to-work bike so I could have it, since I was just about the only kid who didn't have one. He walked to and from work after that, but the town was small, so he didn't have far to go.
    I love the enormous leaves on that green plant. The weed certainly is a pretty one. Do you have some way of shading the porch plants? Maybe a big garden umbrella or two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was so lovely of your Dad to do that. Such a loving father.
      I have shifted the plants to the shady side of the deck which gets sun in the early evening.

      Delete
  6. Took me an entire year to learn to ride a bike. I was the scardiest cat of all. But when I did- Roseland was my oyster. Dirt and sand roads, snakes and sandspurs, the rusted iron gates leading to...the lion pool. Magical. And a million skinned knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! if we had a million knees they would all be covered with orange medication and dirty bandaids that would not stay put. Bikes were so excellent for us! Freedom!

      Delete
  7. The heatwave in the Pacific Northwest is scary as hell. I cannot believe the temps. My SIL lives in Medford, Or. They have an expected high temp today of 115! WTF! I know it will cool off soon, but it is such a bummer to endure such a thing. I spent one summer in Phoenix when my first husband had a news photographer job there. It made me HATE the heat. I worry about these temps.
    I also worry about people who live in big condos when the structure doesn't hold and inspectors had warned about it. WTF? Such a nightmare.
    Stay cool there as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , we are OK, just staying in front of the fan.Climate change is serious and mother earth is pissed! She brought us in, she can take us out. I am grateful for my age and my life which has been full to overflowing- I am sorry for the youngins'. So it goes in this time of remarkable change. Do what makes you glad!

      Delete
  8. bikes were our first taste of freedom and then...a driver's license! total freedom. sneaking the car out at night and joy riding with boys.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think the weed is loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria). The leaves don't look right. I think it's actually purple toadflax (Linaria vulgaris). We have it here too and it grows quite readily, but I like it -- we have some in our garden. (We also have loosestrife, but it's not invasive here, where it's native.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I just looked up toadflax and you are probably right especially looking at the leaves. It is good for bees and butterflies so not entirely jerk-out-of- the -ground worthy. I think that a field of it might be fabulous but the scraggly bits around gardens are just annoying and invasive.

      Delete
  10. Your bicycle-life story, Linda Sue! Made me think of my first bike. From my grandfather. Yellow and red. I'm sure he bought it used somewhere and painted it himself. That was way back when I was growing up in Phoenix. Back in the days of evap cooling, soggy sheets, no real respite from the heat except when riding the bike and feeling the wind in my sweaty hair (no helmets in those days). The best time was after one of the great Phoenix dust/rain storms in late summer with gutters running with water, putting on the swimsuit and riding through them all. The tall apartment buildings built on reclaimed land that's a tragic, devastating trust in science. Mother Nature will get us all in the end. It's her right and privilege. We are merely her subjects. And that's me in the throes of heat-driven crankiness and ugh-i-ness of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yellow and red, weren't you fancy! Bikes were the best!! I assume that you will be getting a bike of freedom for Ezra? The gutter ride sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, sorry you're in the heat! We have enjoyed a nice cool reprieve for the last few days, I'm loving it. Bicycle commutes are much more pleasant too.

    Sad that your Sears and Roebuck bike was thieved! The two of you had some good times together. Hold on to those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes great memories, and independence - bikes are like that. Lucky that when I was a kid there was no traffic.

      Delete
  13. I neglected to mention, we often come up with the same variety of grass come August or September. We call it shredded wheat for grass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just visiting :) What great memories of summers bygone on your bike! Think your parents knew you were on the "wrong side of town" exploring?

    I live in Phoenix; enough said about the heat of summer :) At least its a dry heat. I remind myself of that daily.

    It is so sad about that building collapse. I hope a full investigation into it and the things people knew etc comes out so this doesn't happen again with other buildings. I'm not fond of any building over 1 story myself.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty,I would have been in trouble had they known i was riding in the danger zone.
      The building is very sad. The inhabitants trusting the report that they were given even though it was not true. People ....all about the dollar.

      Delete
  15. When we retired and moved to Florida, we bought bikes. I thought it was a crazy idea but my husband was so excited about changing our lives and becoming more fit, so I went along with it. Seven years later and we bike at least 3 times a week. I don't actually look forward to it, but once I surrender to the notion of moving fast I am happy. I don't remember learning to ride a bike. I wish I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bicycling sound like the thing to do, just don[t fall off or crash into something! If ther is flat land and good weather that is a plus- we have neither. Learning to ride a bike was easy for me but my Dad forgot to tell me about the brakes...oops.

      Delete
  16. I love your kid memories. We're in the rainy zone (though today is nice). I'd trade you, I think. Although we've been in drought and need it badly. But not inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain is needed everywhere, gently. After this hot dry spell we will welcome rain again. Mother earth and her hot flashes! I moved the flowers to the shade and they are still droopy- or crisp. a combo!

      Delete
  17. I love imagining you at one with that bike, legs pumping, discovering your power. You bring me back to the memory of my own bike days, the wind rushing by me, the power. We need to call back that raw confidence and girl power. Yes.

    ReplyDelete