We wait all year for sunshine. We live in the dark for months. Be careful what you wish for, they say. Temperatures soared, opening the front door was like sticking pop overs into a pre heated oven- you know how hot the oven must be for pop overs- about a million degrees. When Dennis was getting a new heating system for this abode he wisely included air conditioning, thinking that we might never use it but just in case- His "Just in case" paid off.
Cubby and his humans went to a hotel for a couple of days and left their house to fry.
You have read about Portland no doubt- the hottest place on the planet yesterday- THE HOTTEST PLACE ON THE PLANET!!! We were thinking it would be Ok because we sent air conditioners down with the lad when he was here to pick up the CRV. We also felt secure knowing that he could jump in the CRV and come up to a cooler house if he needed to.
The power went out in Portland- meth heads stole his catalytic converter over night....There is no such thing as security in this world, no matter how well you might think you have prepared. . He did work on one of the hottest days, kilns firing, heavy lifting, no air conditioning, no air. Yesterday was the worst of it, temperatures reaching 112- east of the mountains it was 120. We have crossed the river Styx.
Growing whiskers instead of what should be tomatoes by now. The sun freaked everything into a fried stupor.
Refreshing blues in shade, backing away from the sunny deck, Gimme shelter!
Dennis bought tulips at cost co. They are perfect and totally match the print that Stella gave me.
Inside the house it is tolerable, I can not complain. Though I will say that when the sun blasted out of the sky today it was not a friendly sun- it was an eff you sun!
The intense sun going down left ,with the same attitude- eff you some more- trying to light our house on fire.
After dark, when it had cooled to 1,000 degrees, I finally checked our metal -hot-as-an iron-poker- mail box. Sent from Russia for the twins, scruffy cloud bear resembling our usual sky, dark grey and soft, roasted all day in that oven box. Now that he has arrived something else must leave, that is my rule lately, maybe.... anyway I successfully got a box load for the Assistance League ready to go. Been watching "Hoarders" just to reenforce my commitment.
Since we dumped just about everything except blog world and Etsy, I have been looking for freebees online. Amazon Prime offers an abundance of watchables. "Hoarder' being one, Flea Bag and other worthy programs. I watched a very quiet film last night as well , IDA, VERY quiet - poignant. It is black and white , compositions of light / shadow are stunning, the story most compelling about a girl taken to a nunnery catholic priestly orphanage when she was an infant. She knew of no other life until a surprise showed up. her aunt was still alive , everyone else had died in the holocaust, though Ida knew nothing of them or from where she came. Then the life lessons and adventures began ! It ends well with profound resolve.
Bear, twins, both look in a state of shock. They might settle down now that the heat dome has shifted a bit farther east.







If you donate to your PBS station, their PBS Passport has quite the library of past programming -- series, specials, etc. So, not free, but not bad. I think at our station it's $60. Worth a check. Also, if you have a library card kanopy.com -- check out the one about Joe Maisell (I think). It's worth a library card.
ReplyDeleteYou are so hot. I won't complain about wet anymore. Hold me to that. Hang in there and stay safe and hydrated.
Thank you Jeanie, Good suggestions. Especially PBS, can[t go wrong really!
Deletejust watched Jay Myself the DOC you recommended- OMG what a find!! simply the best thing i have seen for a very long while! Genius.Inspiring! thank you!
DeleteYour purple petunias are wonderful, but the setting sun might as well be a knife to cut your throat, it is so menacing.
ReplyDeleteit is!! It is mean!
DeleteEven a month ago the sun here felt different to me. It felt radiant in a harmful, malignant way. Was I foreseeing? Forefeeling?
ReplyDeleteIt's most tolerable here now. Cooler after some lovely rain. I almost feel guilty for the fact that we, in Florida, are cooler than The PNW, than Boston.
Gimme shelter indeed.
That bear melted my heart. I am glad he has come to live with you.
Agree about the stabby sun! it is not soothing at all, It is not warming it is burning like electric lightening bolts steadily piercing, ZAPZAPZAPZAPITTYZAP sizzle.SSSSSSZZZZZZZT!
DeleteThe bear makes us glad, does he not? In that kind of Awwww way. he is really sweet.
Beautiful bear!!! Made in Russia??
ReplyDeleteFrightening sun…
I hope the lad can stay cool—electricity returned?
I used to keep the tub full of water all night and lie in it every few hours—
now I house sit in July if I can for people with central air.
Yes , a Russian bear! He is here to learn english.
DeletePower came on in Portland , it is still very hot. You are a very wise woman , July can be challenging without air! If the forest fires rage again this summer i will go else where, as far as i can go , out of the deadly smoke.
I'm sorry to hear you are having what used to be an Australian summer, sorrier too for the theft of that thing. I'm glad bear didn't melt from the heated mailbox adventure. I am glad you have airconditioning, I don't know how I would manage anymore without mine.
ReplyDeleteIt has been a wake up call , this heat! The PNC is not prepared !
Deleteunreal that you have hotter temps than us. in fact our weeks of 90s is giving us a break now, about 10 days or so in the 80s.
ReplyDeleteIt was brief and the plants seemed to love the hyperbolic sunshine. It has cooled off now but it did do damage to roads buckling and to people who died. Earth is not fooling around, sister!!
DeleteThat little conjoined Twins Doll is adorable! I too watch 'Hoarders' to keep committed to the Downsizing Project of The Great Edit and Purge. I think I'll have to become an immortal to finish it, but... whatever. My Heirs can't say I didn't give it my Some.
ReplyDeleteRelatable totally- Still trying to make sense of "stuff" and what to keep in case of rainy day...right? Etsy shop is good only if things do not weigh much because postage is absurd so giving heavier things to the assistance league will be my next thing. It is awesome stuff but in the end it is just stuff...
DeleteIt sounds hellish -- I'm glad your house had a/c and the heat has since moved on. Poor roasting bear!
ReplyDelete