My Blog List

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Champion

I read a  couple of books from the airport news stand, in a haphazard way,  One was "My Life On The Road" by Gloria Steinem. Surprising, well written, of course, and compelling .  My personal hero - she is likely yours as well.  I read that book  twice, am fixing to read it again.

I watched The Glorias  last night. As is usually the case of the movie made from  book being  somewhat  substandard does apply . The book is so much  better, but ,for entertainment and a skip across a frying pan ,the movie is worthy. What a lovely women's force and yet here we are...ERA has not passed, abortion still threatened to go back to the sketchy streets, misogyny and patriarchy still going strong...We need more Glorias.  Do not take a back seat- smash the patriarchy  everyday for the rest of your life.  Be a Gloria!

I have posted this before but am doing so again because it is at the tip of my consciousness at the moment. 
 

She was speaking at a planned parenthood/ John Kerry / luncheon. My wealthy- from -Texan -oil friend invited me to go to the after party/reception, because obviously I could not afford it . I went -noticed  right away how out of place I was. The  women there, wearing girl tight  booby frocks with high heels and inches of make up, bejeweled ,  giving me the disdainful  one or twice over.  I thought I had  arrived at a Phylis Schlafly rally. WTF?- wrong turn?

 I had a paper camera , saw Gloria over by the crystal , ( the house for reception  in the most expensive neighborhood on the planet, above the sea, forested back yard, posh building, tennis court, pool- get the picture?- so yes, quite out of place, wearing  necklace that Erik had made for me when he was a child, Kerry political button,  sensible Birkenstocks , organic shapeless shirt and trousers)  I approached with my  dollar camera, bold, I must say! She could not have been more loving and gracious. (swoon). This is one of my warmest memories and  most favorite photos.  After snapping this with paper-I did not stick around, couldn't get out of that situation fast enough. Surreal- Did those well coifed tight assed women even know  the history ,the woman, the movement?  Don't think so...Anyway, the book is a good read if you are searching for something substantial and have not read it already. Gloria is 87 this year , still the sharpest pencil in the drawer.  The Champion! What a time , in our human experience , to have been living in  woman's body , mind and soul! So grateful for Gloria, the movement, the intelligence. 



12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have that memory, the picture, even if you did feel out of place. I can completely understand how you must have felt. Thanks for sharing the memory and photo with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the year that Mr. Man voted wrong
      again ! I had to leave for the night or there would have a murder committed and that would have upset my life too much. Orange jumpsuit does not flatter me.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I bet you were a welcome relief in that crowd. What a great photo and memory. I am going to order that book now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally I love being in the company of women- but THAT crowd , the Stepfords, was just creepy!

      Delete
  3. damned lucky i would say- paper cameras were iffy at best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd love that book. And how exciting you got to meet her. I bet she took one look at you and said, "Yes! A woman who is good in her own skin."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women should be comfortable, there is no other way to be! Yes that certainly made my millenium.

      Delete
  5. I've never even heard of this book, which is hardly surprising since I read fiction more than anything else. I don't understand how anyone can wear too tight dresses and sky-high heels and be comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are dressing for the patriarchy and of course are uncomfortable because it is totally unnatural.

      Delete
  6. I echo all the rest who say Gloria recognized you at once. I must read that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book will not let you down, pretty sure! There is also a TED interview with her, not as good because the interviewer talked too much but still, it is Gloria as she is today and she is fabulous.

      Delete
  7. So very cool that you met her! She is a force!

    ReplyDelete