My Blog List

Monday, June 14, 2021

1985

 

Dennis, his friends from childhood and me, on a sunny day at the cabin on the beach- back when there was  future ahead of us. Dennis ,cleaning out a corner ,found this old slide- I was massively in love- you can tell if you look closely to see the love butterflies in my middle and the helium in my head.  

I watched a thing on you tube last night about a Mormon guy with six wives living in crappy trailers in the middle of nowhere,  barren desert in Utah. They were unable to keep everyone fed and clothed - selling magazines in SLC, door to door, but damned if he was not looking for another wife- preferably young, as his other wives were- sixteen. He had his scope fixed on a young girl. One of the son's, who was still a child, said that she was his girlfriend- hmmm ,who will win this little lass? Turns out that neither did because the big daddy was fixing to get arrested...anyway all of that to say that all of his little wives supported his pursuit of more wives saying that "he just likes the feeling of falling in love"- I can think of cheaper ways to get high that don't involve marrying a whole bunch of children and having a whole bunch  more children, like 4,00000000000 of them- though I do agree that falling in love is such a feel good. So is opium,  which does not involve much more than a floor to lie on, but it is illegal. Probably because it does not produce 4,000000000000 potential tax paying temple supporters. I dunno- no god ever told folks to smoke opium for the good of his realm, oddly god tells folks to make more humans , you know, for the afterlife planet that big daddy will be the boss of.  Dumbassed god- if you are asking...

Anyway,  1985 -there we were- all shiny and new, future so bright Dennis had to wear shades.

19 comments:

  1. That photo is a treasure. I remember those days intensely. How fast the future came and went. Let's still wear shades though, ok? Let's believe in things shiny and new still ahead. I will if you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It becomes a challenge doesn't it. I listened to Chris Hedges " America. The Farewell Tour" this morning- which slapped that smile right of of my face!

      Delete
  2. :) for the picture
    :( for the jerk looking for shiny, bright girls in SLC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That jerk has a jerk god who tells him to do these jerk things. Crazy, man!

      Delete
  3. That slide is great. What a fun look back in time.
    I cannot believe that a man can go around looking for young girls to marry. WTF. It's 2021. When will the sh*t finally stop? Ever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simpler times in the rear view mirror!
      Dear Robin- it will end in the grave I am afraid, poeple are just getting dumber by the minute.

      Delete
  4. Cute pic of all y'all!
    I remember that guy and all his sister wives from when we lived in Utah. You've got your Mormon lore down - all that afterlife with hubby as god and all his mrs. gods. Who wouldn't want that? It must be true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if he ever went to jail and if so what happened to the flock of floozies? And their zillions of little red haired children- the "teams"... I think I will pass on that belief thank you very much. I can not imagine wanting an eternity of that lore.Maybe that is the real hell.

      Delete
  5. His sixteen year old wives were too old for him? I smell paedophile. I don't agree with that culture of multiple wives and dozens of children anyway, more so when they have to sell magazines door to door just to put a bit of food on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree- but you know, it is what their god demands. Wacky.

      Delete
  6. Love the slide! What a great find.

    There are many, many things I don't understand about religion. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans are a mystery but the study of the brain, the amygdala and the hypothalamus explain somewhat human propensity to lean into fantastical magic thinking- we are wired that way.

      Delete
  7. Glen and I got together in 1983, married in '84. We were that shiny new. Then began the work...
    Love is a drug. For sure. But if you're lucky, one that has long-lasting effects.
    I've seen those trailer compounds in the desert in Utah. And yes, many of the men are pedophiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marriage is an exercise in all things is it not? Kudos for being married for so long, I say.

      Delete
  8. 1985, I was 35, had two kids and an etched glass studio trying to make a living. the butterflies, helium and sparkly eyed future was nearly a decade in the past for me. see where it got me. now it was just hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I would say that you chose wisely, you are the hardest worker I know so you have been up to the task.

      Delete
  9. I love that photo. There's something wonderful about the smiles. 1985 was a great year for friendships for me. I like thinking about that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good year to be young and full of sunshine!

      Delete