My Blog List

Wednesday, March 3, 2021

sorry about your hat


It has been haunting me for years, this hat. When Josh lived with us, this,  his favorite hat, knit especially for him , ended up in the laundry - shrunk down to mouse size.  he was sad... Should I cut it up and use it for - something?  a cat toy? I have felt so awful about the hat for so long - poor Josh losing one of his favorite things due to my carelessness. Ok, so, it has been  decided , nothing to lose- try the "restore hope" recipe which is; Loads of conditioner ( I used  Humectress) in warm water, let soak for a couple of days. Remove and tug at the stitches loosening them all around the hat, pull and tug and fist, and then do that some more, and again.  It was looking hopeless but two days later it is reasonable! It may just work for him . ( me, undoing past wrongs....like a twelve step program, sort of, I have more than twelvtyhundred  to go.)


I made this  head out of a styro form and wet felt, needle felt, with rocks in the bottom for ballast. It is kind of creepy but that is how I roll - it does function well as  hat holder and as a pin cushion, Josh's hat looks pretty good considering it was the size of a silver dollar loaded with sorry guilt for many years in  the bottom of the drawer of unfinished business .

If this hat works I will have checked off one thing from my  massively long list of  "oops". I reckon that I will have to live another seventy years to clear this samsara. Buddha knows that  coming back to human existence one more time is not preferable. What -evs- who knows anything really, just know that , for me, it feels good to right one hat wrong!  Praise  Humectress!
 

15 comments:

  1. I am impressed. It is too late for me to so right some past wool wrongs. Like the first pair of wool socks I ever knit, and gave to my fiancee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know a felted item could be restored, the hat looks good on the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is knitted and fulled it can be restored, somewhat, depending on how tight the knit I think.

      Delete
  3. Well done! I shrunk the first wool sweater I ever made for my husband and am so sorry now that I chucked it in the bin. It would have made something else for sure ( thinking soles for some wool slippers). I was just so disgusted with myself that I too hastily pitched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling! BUT now I have all sorts of mistakes that I can re-purpose, It is good to know about restoring in conditioner though.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I had no idea that was even an option! Well done, lady!
    I love your, "What-evs- who knows anything, really?"
    Exactly. We do our best. And your best is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! We do try to do our best and when we fail it is such a stick in the side, especially when it comes to making a mistake re: a child! Dear lord, there is no self forgiveness!!

      Delete
  5. This is a pretty amazing restoration! Funny how these small things live in our consciousness. Josh has probably long forgotten the laundry mishap, and will be happily surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do hope so, i hope that it will fit him. If he has forgotten I will be glad.

      Delete
  6. My friend Kate's husband kindly did the laundry one week and her cute little wool jacket would probably fit a three year old when it came out. I turned it into coasters. (Cat toy is a good idea!) Now I at least have an option for the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second hand shops are full of fulled sweaters and items that should not have gone through the wash. Luckily wool is somewhat forgiving, can always be re-purposed as you have done. Cats can not resist a good wad of wool!

      Delete
    2. I should look out for such sweaters, they'd be great for making doll clothes.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I'm so impressed that you brought it back from the brink! Surely even if Josh can't wear it, SOMEONE (aside from an orphan red) could. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i was a bit astonished that it could grow back to nearly its full size. It is such a nice hat, mohair, super soft and arsenic green , which is rarely seen.

      Delete