My Blog List

Monday, February 8, 2021

sleep through the pandemic

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/12/covid-19-sleep-pandemic-zzzz/617454/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3vU4K8vaqW3Um-Jigs4tCiyL8TT5-jNruesX1ida4Mb8ra5OE8eJsYYL0


Importance and reason^^^ sleeping through the pandemic is natural and good. Don't let others tell you otherwise. You are not to be judged for snoozing ALL day. Sleep , probably better than a jar full of magic.  Covid damages nerves  disrupting sleep patterns having survived the initial illness.  Effects of having covid clearly are not "just get over it" , like a bad cold . Also curious about hypnosis and its curative effect. Stay home y'all. Just do it! Don't fuck with this virus! Sleep!!Here is another fright!

                          -O- 




The cherry tree trunk now is about four  times larger than it was as you can see from  years ago.


Must have been a  graft, the tree was supposed to be a decorative dwarf cherry but it has grown to be a giant. The cherries never develop fully, usually  are eaten straight away by the birds, or  gravity bounces them to  the ground 

If we stay here much longer I am pretty sure that the trees will become so old they might  just fall over or be taken out by some chainsaw maniac.   


The plum this morning , Limb tango, perfectly fitted to one another.  It was supposed to be dwarfed as well. Not as gigantic as the cherry but certainly not a dwarf. She is more aged, but still the star of the back yard!

Here is an easy project for you- I have posted this idea in the past but it's a good one so...here you go. again...I am lacking imagination.
Go out to the curb and gather some leaves and twigs. Put some adhesive goop on a canvas, place the  compost on it in some sort of arrangement, Allow to dry - Some of it will stick and some of it will peel off, leaving an imprint . Throw some paint at it. Spray with a fixative. 
It is surprising that this has remained  so  seemingly permanent and solid  considering the organic nature of the leaves and twigs.  An experiment that panned out, easy to do, no skill required.



 
This is my old flower press , which I rarely use. last night on "Escape to the Chateau", Angel made an enormous flower press to press the garden onto the walls of the new room. Good idea but , in the end, looks like they are not  very secure. Anyway, as they do everything in a large way, Angel used ply board  with loads of heavy boxes on top to press long flowers, like iris and gladiola. All you need is  Chateau massive space to press your garden.  Spring is right around the corner they predict. Nothing better to do than flatten flowers...as I stated before, I am "lacking imagination" and am going to go  back to sleep. Still no vaccines available, as the virus mutates it its surreal virus way, trying to balance the  out of control population , perhaps. Stating the obvious, just stay home and be glad you have a home to stay in. ( there are over 1000 homeless in our little town).  Little houses have been built, gated, organized,  and have been successful, the people living in them are vetted and the community has been a welcomed relief, but not all homeless qualify,  a problem  much more complex , as you know. 
Stay well and count your lucky stars, y'all!


 

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for this reminder of my many blessings and the absolution from guilt for my desire to sleep the entire day away. Or at least lie in bed reading books or streaming shows. Alas, I need to rise now and put in a second shift of actual paid work. The days have become rather shapeless. And it a privilege to be able to think it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day like every other day- and on we go. Dreamland is full of adventure though and I am glad to have all of that adventure stored in my brain to draw upon. last night and the night before I went to Paris with my friend.Sleep, essential right now. Sorry that you are not able to sleep through work!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the link to the mutation story. As a microbiologist I find it very interesting that it is doing so. It does bring up an interesting thought--should those who are immunocompromised be moved up regardless of age?

    Oddly, I don't feel like sleeping all day!

    Escape to the Chateau sounds like a show I might like until I find myself talking to the screen about how that or that isn't going to work. I just finished Deadwood The Movie which has been interesting watch considering what life would have been like in those days.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I think it would be wise to move folks up in the queue who are immunocompromised. I would not have thought so before reading the article. learn a new thing a day...Escape to the Chateau is a lark.

      Delete
  3. I went to the curb to get leaves but all I got was ice and snow! 😝
    Love ya! Dream on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice and snow would make a great painting...no work whatsoeevah!! Love ya back!!

      Delete
  4. I'm falling asleep here at the screen. I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your project! You remind me that I have a flower press I've not used in ages. Love all those fabulous trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that pressed flowers would be a nice texture in a painting a little like the compost one but more subtle.

      Delete
  6. I won't be scooping up leaves and twigs here, far too many spiders out there, most are harmless but the redbacks are poisonous. I'll just admire your handiwork instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEK, you are right, spiders would not bee a good idea!

      Delete
  7. Interesting articles. I had not seen anything about the theory in the second one which is fascinating but yes, scary. The trees are doing well. I will try your leaf idea one day. At the moment we have snow so I won't be picking much up from the gutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make snow pictures I guess...we have just a smidgen of snow this year so far, nothing much. Like a bit of sugar dropped on the yard.

      Delete
  8. I just woke up from almost ten hours of sleep. Even my husband who never, ever slept more than six or seven hours is sleeping eight or so a night. And no, I don't feel guilty. I do not nap anymore though. It would interfere with my night sleep!
    I love your trees. Reminds me of our "dwarf" magnolias which grow up and up, and up!
    Yes. We are lucky. So very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your dwarf magnolias certainly like where they are! They are a success story. I nap anyway, and remarkably it does not interfere with night time sleep! It would have before all of this covid stuff. I reckon it is jst nature telling us to slow down and sleep a lot because of all of those natural reasons (?)

      Delete
  9. That cherry tree is impressive! I guess that line is the graft mark, where the tree got grafted onto the root stock?

    I used to press flowers in books when I was little. All my books had plant stains on the pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree trunk gets weirder every year . Super plump, lifting out of the ground , roots the size of trees coming up out of the ground as well. They grow all the way under the house so when the tree falls down goes half of the house!

      Delete
  10. An interesting article - thanks for the link! Some of my colleague's who've received the vaccine are complaining of insomnia. Hmmm.
    What a regal cherry tree! Love the "before" pic as well.
    And yes, I'm grateful for my house and all it's quirks.

    ReplyDelete