My Blog List

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

ramble on...


The first to be aborted from the lemon tree. There are eight more to go , so far , some smaller buds look promising- I have the little blossom beside me and the fragrance is elixer! Like sunshine and California in the olden days. When a scent such as this takes me on a journey ,  eyes closed- it is like a vivid dream - for a moment I am transported - I am 23 , La Jolla, white sand, warm ocean, fragrant trees. I am in love and i have a twenty dollar bill in my pocket.  Life before me is enticing. I am warm!

-0-

Our house, built in the 70's, is typical of the times ,though some things have been changed for the better, some things remain - I turn a blind eye or dump paint on old floors , old walls..I painted the tiles at one point, not a great idea.  It was built as a spec house on marsh land- would never  have been allowed to be built today. We have diverted the water flow with ditches and pipes underground- no longer can I poke my thumb in the earth and have it spurt  a fountain of water...The ground has settled and we are here to stay, it seems.  Though my wandering eye still has Canada in peripheral vision. 

Our fence , what is left of it, is original to the era and the house. It will crumble entirely soon enough, becoming mulch,   the little forests growing there are enchanting.




Listening to Heather Cox Richardson - receiving her daily  letters has been heartening. Crazy intelligent woman, clear, erudite, solid. I started watching her you tube video series on history of republican party. That was in June and then July happened and my brain stopped functioning.

My cowboy poet friend sent a reminder of how worthy the series is so I began watching it again. History, unmolested , un- glorified - so refreshing .  Howard Zinn 's " A Peoples History" first woke my interest in  history not based on treaties, wars, men of power, and lies about those men in power...  Heather carries it  further into the present, her latest essays and videos on current political situation - down to earth observation and speculation, historical context.  If you fancy a clear perspective Heather is the breathing  space you may need right now ! 
 



Our heather  today at the bottom of the steps.  Loves the rain! 
 

14 comments:

  1. I used to live in a little town in Central Florida called Winter Haven and not only did we get the scent of the orange blossoms (and there was an annual orange blossom festival) but there was also a business somewhere nearby which I swear was named Cooter Cow Feed which made animal feed, I guess, out of orange by-products (peel?) and when they were making the feed the whole town smelled just like orange cookies baking.
    I kid you not.
    Glory hallelujah it was!
    I love lichen. It's so cool. The color- that ashy green is like no other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i suppose folks might get used to the fragrance but i think that my appetite would be stimulated constantly! "cooter cow" feed, what a name!
      I have tried to duplicate that color and failed.

      Delete
  2. My first house was a very last sixties subdivision model home; the land literally was cleared for hundreds of homes. At some point the city asked we plant trees in our front yards, so we got some seedlings from the girl's arbor day tree school sales.
    I happened to be near the old neighborhood some years ago, and drove through. Those trees are enormous fifty odd years later. It looked like a nice old neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful! Trees make a neighborhood so much better...until a wild wind takes them down. Ours have had to be topped.

      Delete
  3. Those little Forests on your Fence are Enchanting and so Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? All that is required are tiny folk.

      Delete
  4. The lichens on your fence are amazing, so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the moss and lichen on the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fence is an art installation, naturally alive. Thank you for the Heather Cox Richardson recommendation. I am trying to understand this moment in which we find ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very clearly seeing from historic perception, flabbergasted but taking it in stride in a non emotional , non biased way, Just the facts , Mam. Poor old fence is crumbling in such a lovely manner.

      Delete
  7. Heather Cox Richardson is brilliant. No one person should be that smart -- I'm amazed we don't ver see her on programs. She just knows how to explain it all.

    You're not the only one eyeing Canada. Alas, they don't seem to want us.

    ReplyDelete