My Blog List

Friday, February 26, 2021

Perseverance, wounded baby, fire engine


Good morning, from the land of "make up your mind, mother Nature!". Spring, late February, is generally mercurial, something we can count on in this time of question everything you once knew. I did get the first jab yesterday- not without a bit of chaos in the drug store- their computer crashed. They offered appointments, for four days of sticking folks and ran out of time slots in the first hour of posting.  Crazy! I am scheduled for the second jab mid March, YAHOO!  Perseverance- Mars landing and covid jab getting, all in a name!



This morning, just now, one baby showed up . Oh dear. Big chunk missing as you can see, and another gouge in  her cheek, deep wounds, but the eye is still there.  Poor baby. Rough neighborhood. I gave her kibbles and fresh water. She lay on her side for a while but did not nap.  DAMN.



The cherry tree is sprouting lichen and buds. The wind is high and howling.  dark clouds racing each other to see who can get to Eastern WA the fastest, carrying quenching rain to dump on the semiarid steppe.  The mountains in between usually stop the rain and the desert over yonder remains dry. Bunch of republicans over there so just as well.




 Nat has a new (old) fire engine, given to me by a friend whose husband had it as a child about 70 years ago. The ladder is stuck but it is in fine condition and will still do the job. Nat also has a new outfit that I stitched haphazardly in about twenty minutes by hand, because the machine said "nope".. Cashmere trousers and scarf from torn up sweater, so soft it just makes you want to poop.  Borrowed the hat from a bean boy. So it goes in this our second year of staying at home.  



G.M.C. 
The finest of trucks!

22 comments:

  1. That poor little raccoon! Do you suppose his/her siblings are still alive? What do you think got after them? The cat? Nat looks quite happy and proud, as well he should be. What a fine truck!
    And congratulations on your shot. Slowly and clumsily, it would appear that we will all get ours eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon it is mating season and the little ones get threatened quite a lot by males in a hurry and fury to mate. The males of the species are right assholes they try to kill all babies and then jump the mom for their turn at spreading genetic "improvements?" So looking forward to second injection, Mary- Hugs are waiting!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you got your jab! Well done you.
    Sad to see the poor little baby with her wounds. She knows where to come for some food and love at least.
    Nat is a very dapper firefighter with her cashmere and vintage engine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad she found her way to the deck, the wounds are quite severe.
      YAY for jabs! I was thinking that it would be summer before they would be available, so, YES!
      I would love to have trousers like that! Soft as custard!

      Delete
  3. Oh, the poor baby. I know you can't dress the wound but oh, I wish you could. Three cheers on your vaccine gig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three cheers indeed! Best feeling ever!
      I wish i could bring her in and help her, It would take more than a bandaid- Quite a deep wound!

      Delete
  4. I got my first jab yesterday too. Not a clusterfu*k over here very orderly except for trying to get the appointment which was nightmarish and I can’t image how someone less online could manage. There is no red like fire engine red. Glorious onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Onward and upward we go! So glad you got jabbed, whew!! Now we can hug...

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your perseverance and the first shot. Mine is allegedly Sunday, I still show as having an appointment, but than I keep seeing articles about people being cancelled, so who knows. It will be something.
    That poor racoon baby, nature is hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly expected to get turned away at the door but yahhoooo , did not! Thrilled at getting jabbed! Good luck!
      Nature can be such a bitch of a mother!

      Delete
  6. Aaaargh!!! I am worried of the baby!
    A friend who worked on a goat farm this past winter told me they had to kill & butcher the male farm animals (and eat them) to keep the balance;
    when there were too many males, there was too much violence.
    I hadn't realized that.
    So with raccoons, it sounds like.

    HAPPY FOR YOU!!! You got jabbed!
    Yay!
    My HouseMate did too, just this morning!
    I have to wait because I am not over 65...

    Your girlettes are having soooo much fun!!!
    Mine are starting to agitate--"Why don't we have a fire truck?"
    For heaven's sake.
    Love Nat's outfit too.
    You are good!!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your eyes open at the shop, You will find the perfect automobile for the Girlettes. Did you read about the gals in Florida who dressed up as old ladies to get vaccines? It did not work but is such a great idea!!

      Delete
  7. I hope your little raccoon recovers. It must be hard to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. terribly sad and you just know that she will not make it and will suffer . Damn.

      Delete
  8. That's a fine truck and a fabulous new outfit for Nat. I can't find Meg sized beanie hats anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clothing is a challenge but i reckon that the Girlettes are not fussy.

      Delete
  9. Nat looks rather natty, indeed. I so love the color combo and how divine with the hat to go. I must say that I've never, in all my life, felt anything so soft that it made me want to poop. I have something to add to my bucket list--once I start one--so maybe I should say that I now have a reason to start a bucket list... Got my first poke today. Arm is so sore, aches to move in a certain direction--getting the over-the-head bra off was a bit of a trick. But I managed. And managed to cut my hair, too. I figured the movement would do me some good. I still will not be hugging until my daughter is vaccinated, too, and the number of cases falls dramatically. As for the raccoon pet. Shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if i had enough of this cashmere left i would make you something so you could check that off your list! Glad you got the jab- where? Mine was like a fairy whisper, couldn't even feel it and not after either. Wise to not be hugging daughter until all have been jabbed! So dangerous this damn thing!

      Delete
  10. Forgot to say I hope the baby recovers without infection. My Lola has similar wounds, but self inflicted, she has allergies Time to head to the vet for another shot later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure that this baby will not survive, The wounds are too serious. Lola, be well soon!!!

      Delete
  11. Awww, poor baby! Out mixing it up in the mean streets, evidently. I wouldn't give up on it -- animals can survive pretty serious fight wounds. Glad you got your shot! I still haven't heard a thing about mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay! one jab down, one to go. poor baby racoon. isn't that the way of all males (excluding the enlightened human kind).

    ReplyDelete