My Blog List

Saturday, February 6, 2021

land of darkness, new toothbrush and mud




Last night from the deck and below from the dock.

Downtown sky, nicked from Bellingham reddit, Stan's sign on the way home. The HERALD building on the right used to house our local news paper, Gone, the building purchased by a private purchaser,  to house university offices with shops or whatever at street level. It is a cool old building. I loved going there when it was the HERALD- the elevators - grand , the printing loud, ink and paper smelled industrious, and important. Erik was featured in the Herald a few times so I had to get as many copies to send to relatives as possible.  One for being cute, the others for accomplishments of one sort or another and being on Dean's honor roll. that sort of thing. Did I keep any of them- NO! Zen Mom.

The water front, below, you can see my studio, the short two story building  between the museum spire and the granery which is lit up in green for some unknown reason. I am around the back facing town not water. (this photo also nicked from Bellingham reddit. )


Dark cloud covered  skies have returned this morning, and rain of course. The raccoon family brought a couple of friends and globs of forest mud  to finger paint the door. May have to power wash . Serious mud!




In the post yesterday I finally received  the order from Sweden. Biodegradable toothbrushes made from sugar cane,  sugar cane plastic for teeth , ironic ? Anyway, having read about the amount of plastic non biodegradable toothbrushes  in land fills, on shores has been staggering. The sort of plastic that stays in the ground and on top of the ground FOREVER! Tons of it ,just tooth brushes alone! I ordered these from TePe , Malmo Sweden, produced using 100% green energy , solar roof top panel facility. Toothpaste , also arrived , manufactured in India  , hmmm, we shall see...sounds promising. the claims sound a bit too much like  internet hawkery. Not expensive so why not, I reckon, as being long in the tooth creates sensitivity. worth a try. 

Armor for Teeth

The unique technology behind Dr. Collins BioMin Restore Plus toothpaste provides LOWER Fluoride content with LONG LASTING performance (for up to 12 hours).

BioMin Restore Plus is the first bio-glass toothpaste with fluoride to get FDA approved to alleviate sensitive teeth. The unique formulation contains BioMin F, a patented non-irritating ingredient combination of calcium, phosphate, silica, and fluoride.

When BioMin F comes into contact with saliva, it creates a chemical that is structurally similar to tooth mineral. It then attaches and seals porous tooth structure, thereby reducing tooth sensitivity and making the tooth more resistant to damage.


This also came in the post from Lizzie in Norway, what is left of her flower garden, the fragrance is like a walk on a  sunny summer's day. Most welcomed- today is  wintery, PNW chill to the bone.


The raccoons have gone back to the forest now, leaving a cake pan full of mud, the door  mud caked nearly to the handle, clever little mud babies will likely be able to open it on their own soon . Rain pouring down, wind kicking up, another day at home. Vaccines not to be found in this town. Amazing how well adapted we have become, how skilled at napping and making/eating banana bread we have become. 
 

13 comments:

  1. The season of the sloth I am calling it in my mind.
    And yet, the lights of the world still shine, gardens still grow and we can pick the fruits and flowers thereof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sloths are sadly cute, so no objection to a season devoted to them. We should all garden like you do, if we had the right climate...not sure i would be as ambitious, though. I might grow a carrot.

      Delete
  2. Now that is incredibly weird about toothbrushes made from sugar cane! Ironic indeed!

    Our mud is covered by snow.... it will appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the snow goes, the muck will emerge, fresh and ready for ? I don't know, throw some wild flower seeds at it.

      Delete
  3. I buy wood toothbrushes. I figure the decompose. Yours sound interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good girl!! Bamboo ones are sold also. Saving the planet ,one toothbrush at a time.

      Delete
  4. I'd be interested to know if the toothpaste actually works to reduce sensitivity and rebuild the teeth. I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering having all mine out, I've been trying to save them since I was 20 and still get toothaches with "no reason for it that I can see" from any dentist I go to. at 68, I've had enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. do you use fluoride? It makes an incredible difference. You can buy it in a tube to put on after you brush and floss.Anyway, I think that the toothpaste that I bought might have even more power. It is not expensive you can order it online. SAVE THE TEETH!!! You really do not want to lose them!!

      Delete
    2. Our water is fluoridated, has been for decades. The teeth problem is inherited and saving them was really hitting the budget hard for the last ten years. I'm on a limited income and dental care here isn't covered, so there's the cost of the check up, the extra cost of x-rays because they can't find anything, then the cost of work that needs to be done if the x-rays reveal anything. I'll save them as long as I can. My mum had all hers out at age 32.

      Delete
  5. Holy moly, what skies. They are your colors, I think. I have seen those colors in your fabric work. Nature is such extraordinary inspiration. Let me know how that toothpaste works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall- I have a dental check up next month.

      Delete
  6. That purple sky! Wowza. Is the Bellingham Herald no longer in business or has it simply moved? I'm sure I've told you I applied there when I graduated from college. They didn't even write me back. LOL

    Love the bio toothbrushes. We should look into those. I tend to keep our old toothbrushes for cleaning around the house. Just be sure not to get them confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. News to me that you applied at the Heralds! It is no longer local and is a crap paper. We get "local" news from word of mouth these days and Seattle. I guess the plastic used for grocery store toothbrushes, the usual sort, is especially hard on the environment.These seem reasonable, affordable. TePe seems an honest company.

      Delete