My Blog List

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

fading mountain, bubbles in a bottle, lovely friend and a quilt

Morning through the kitchen window, a piece of sunlight on the mountains over yonder, in the land of cheese. The day looks promising, but then , moments later....



The weather changes in a nanosecond - brings darkness and a few snow flakes. Winter is predicted for the next few days. 

I was cleaning out the large bottle that I inherited, it was full of dried leaves and bugs and house dust sludge. I let it soak overnight and it was glad. Bubbles tickling it clean!  It is having fun now.


Mailman came early so I put on six layers to go down the street to collect it. And what to my wondering eyes! A lovely card with fabric swatch inside to love and cherish! Thank you Ms. Fresca, of the North country! She reckoned that the fabric would be put to good use in honor of the little deck family. 




If I quilted I would include it , but I don't. I have tried ,in the long ago, to quilt, to cover a bed with wonder, but I failed after about two inches. 

 Below is a quilt I rescued from my Mother's closet before it went to some one else, actually Mom said I could have it IF I promised to take good care of it.  I remember it well- It lived  in the closet- too good to use, my mother reckoned. When My parents got married , they eloped , ran away from my mother's step father who had his rifle loaded and was looking to murder my Dad...They ran to Laramie to marry,  and then to Cheyenne to Grampa's house. The lady next door fell in love with my mother ( because who wouldn't)  and gave her this quilt.  "Mrs. Mackey's quilt In The Closet" is now out and about, christened with a tea splat just this morning! I can not be trusted....sorry, Mom.

Mrs. Mackey must have spent  millions of years making this double bed quilt, all hand stitched ! Tiny perfect stitches!

Fabric in excellent  nick, from the 1920's.  Well done, Mrs, Mackey! I will care for it, just have to get the tea stain out...Hydrogen peroxide will do the trick, and then Mrs. Mackey goes back into the closet.



There are amazing folks on this planet- pretty much overshadowing the  grunt pickles in this life.  Thank you all for being anti grunt pickle. 
Speaking of which, happy impeachment day- likely he will not be hauled away in cuffs but the stab at it brings me joy. 
 

19 comments:

  1. Lovely views through your kitchen window, if only so temporary. Cute little fabric homage to the 'coons.
    And Mrs. Mackey's quilt, migosh, it's a masterpiece! And it's stayed so vibrant after all these years. Lockdown's been good for it - there's probably a lesson there. I really am curious as to how many hours she spent. Fun story to go along with it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very reason Mrs. Mackey's quilt looks remarkably fresh is because of the closet I am sure. Too late for me but I am thinking more about staying away from sun, I think we are safe here.

      Delete
  2. That tulip quilt is exquisite. My mother made two in her lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Mrs. Mackey to give it to my mother, whom she barely knew is really remarkable. I hope that you still have yours!

      Delete
  3. That quilt is just gorgeous! And the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful quilt like that should be used and cherished, not hidden away unseen forever. Dab the tea stain with white vinegar instead of hydrogen peroxide which is bleach and may affect the coloured parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I have white vinegar here i will try that first! Great advice!

      Delete
  5. I do Love looking at Quilts, I used to Collect them, but have purged all but the Victorian Quilts in the Downsize now. Hauling him away in Handcuffs would bring me MORE Joy, but I realize it isn't likely to happen unless he has a Criminal Trial for his High Crimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hauling him to the slammer would be the absolute best thing- as his skanky wife says, "BE BEST".

      Delete
  6. I wish you could get that quilt framed behind glass to put up and enjoy although honestly- I think you should use it. It's too beautiful to keep hidden until it falls apart with age. It is a work of art, yes, but it was made as a practical one.
    What a beautiful part of the country you live in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Sarah comes to town, the quilt will be on her bed.

      Delete
  7. what's the point of having a quilt that doesn't get used? yes, they get dirty, stained, tattered but loved! I have an old quilt with the tulip design that my great aunt made, a little different than Mrs. Mackey's. we slept under it for decades and now it is worn, a little stained, and not quite tattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably the same point of having silver service that rarely gets used. Bring it out for special occasions.

      Delete
  8. That's a very cute fabric swatch. I think you should use Mrs. Mackey's quilt. It really IS a thing of beauty. Or maybe it could even go to a museum or something, it's such a nice piece of handiwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tell you what, when you and Dave decide to come for a visit I will put it on your bed, after covid of course and after Olga has become too old to travel, could be years from now but the quilt will be waiting.

      Delete
  9. BEAUTY all around.
    Those mountains!!! You get to see them through the kitchen window??? Almost unimaginable.

    What a gorgeous gorgeous quilt. Old handmade ones come in the thrift store sometimes and the guy who sorts linens used to put them in cloth recycling until I screamed.
    Even the most tattered ones sell.
    (And they usually are tattered not like yours.)
    I say, show off the beautiful things--that's what they're for.

    I'm glad my mail was a day-brightener. I thought of you right away when I saw that little raccoon face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt just knocks me out. I'm imagining the time she put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt is wonderful. I can't imagine the time and attention it took. So glad it landed in a loving place.

    ReplyDelete