My Blog List

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Bear in the hood, snow god and hungry birds


 

Polar bear weather in the neighborhood! Beware!

Mrs. Plum , graceful, elegant. Snow is still coming down softly, beautifully.



someone posted their  project yesterday-  snow flakes and  microscope. (I nicked the photo from Bellingham site.) I had a copy of his book one time- who knows where it ended up- it was one of my faves! Genius  photos. Pretty sure this person was inspired by  Wilson Bentley.




This is the top of my shoe, naked eye, point and shoot- starfish flakes. 

Flower pot, overturned on the deck collected enough snow to make a mound, the raccoon made it a snow god. Clever , perfect placement of little paws.  A perfect god of snow.





In the cherry tree. Hungry little birds. I mentioned before about the  SPCA asking all to remove their feeders, including hummingbird feeders, mostly because people do not keep them clean and the birds get ill. Hummingbirds get a fungus , their tongues hang out and swell, and they die. The little wrens,  pine siskin and whatever these are-are spreading salmonella when they group together,  Even though we are fastidious about cleaning our feeders, we have removed them, Birds are hungry and confused I am sure. I tossed seeds on top of the snow, six feet apart of course. The birds  so light that they can peck at them without seeds and bird  disappearing into the piled high white unknown .  It is still snowing , but has changed a bit from tiny starfish to chubby wetter snow. 
Covid excitement for the day.

9 comments:

  1. The birds have become a large part of our days lately. The little finches are flocking the feeder, turning golden before our eyes. I saw two male cardinals today, posing a fight straight up into the air. No harm, no foul. A scarlet whirlwind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the little birds are swarming the feeders here tanking up for the cold weather they don't usually experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in for a surprise aren't they? Looks like Texas is in for some chilly nights...and days!

      Delete
  3. We have bobcats back in the open. Wonderful little cats; don't try to take one home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don[t know, they are awfully cute...I would try to take one home, I might be sorry , or dead.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear the birds are hungry, I hope they find some food somewhere. If only there was a way to keep the feeders uncontaminated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the microscope pix -- they're lovely. And so is that fabulous bird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This came across my news timeline on the phone. The phone seems to think I am still in the PNW. Anyway, it's the Pine Siskins. They've arrived en masse carrying salmonella in their mouths and spreading it at the feeders.

    ReplyDelete