When i was helping to pack up my friend to move her to California, plants were left behind. This one was pathetic. It was in a four inch plastic pot, the cheap kind that allows you to take it from the nursery to house to repot. It was left in the plastic pot and grew all around it with exposed roots searching for soil and water, I could not remove the pot, it had ingrown, so I just stuck it in a larger clay pot with loads of soil , watered it occasionally, it looked tortured - really did not think it would live- 1.5 years down the line and BLOOM!! It turns out to be a sophronitis orchid, tiny perfect little blooms on sticky stalks. IT LIVES!
You can see the tiny gems of sticky sap along the stem.
Then all of sudden the Christmas cactus bloomed, seems to be a competition. I guess the bouquet that Emily brought inspired them along with the burst of warm sunshine through the window! Things are looking up though still no vaccines anywhere near here- but the weather is lovely today and Rush is dead.
(This morning, the light cast on the geranium, under the flamingo lights. )
Today is warm, snow has melted.
Texas is getting slammed, a wake up call for one and all.
Invest in solar panels, or some renewable , alternative power source, It is not going to get any better, they say.
Wonderful plants, especially the orchid.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea what the orchid was before it blossomed. The leaves are very thick and sturdy like a cactus plant or a succulent. Maybe they are related?
Deleteit's a toss up isn't it! Republicans tend to vote for the worst of the lot.
ReplyDeleteSo glad the pretty orchid has survived and bloomed, the Christmas cactus too. I thought mine had died after not seeing it for a couple of years, but this summer I spied a one inch shoot in a pot with another plant, so I'm still hopeful of eventually getting one to grow and flower.
ReplyDeleteChristmas cactus are so rewarding, aren't they! Just when you might think that they are headed for the shed they shoot out long beautiful flowers that smile their pink smiles all day! This one is small, I will nurture it and hope that it becomes grand.
DeleteLook at that beautiful baby orchid! It is a cardinal in a pot! Good job you on not giving it up! You know- you can cut those plastic pots away with kitchen shears or a knife, even. But obviously, it has survived its two homes.
ReplyDeleteI feel so very, very bad for Texas. There is no excuse.
The plastic was not removable without harming the plant I think, I was not sure what it was either. Next time I re pot it , if the plastic is still ingrown I may do precision surgery on it. It most certainly has a will to live!
DeleteBest news of the day are the blossoms, and that Rush is dead- pretty good day !
So much good news! Bloomin' flowers to cheer up the worst part of winter, score! Sad for the people of Texas. Still, even a wakeup like no water, no warm will probably not do much convincing about climate change to politicians with their heads in a dark, stinky place. We have snow up to our butts but we are prepared if necessary with ways to stay warm and fed for a few days. The geraniums I brought in to winter in the south winter have bloomed. I have to cut them back and tell them, "Not yet. You're not in Italy." Not too sorry about Rush.
ReplyDeleteIs Texas what they mean "when hell freezes over?" Might be...have you ever been to Texas? I have...Texas tried to kill us. Geraniums are so resilient- they will survive long after humans are gone, they shall inherit the earth, I reckon.
DeleteOrchids are amazing. They are so resilient, and you would not think that something so delicate and exotic looking would be. I have been catching up and see your snowy weather. I hope you are not too badly off. It looks pretty grim in parts over there. I hope you get your vaccine soon. I had mine today amazingly. You could have come with me if you lived here! It is a relief anyway.
ReplyDeleteSo pleased!!! You are so lucky to get a vaccine! The snow is gone, It was a beautiful few days. We just watched the Mars landing! Astonishing.
DeleteBeautiful.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteYou reminded me what I was going to ask, did you make the two headed baby or find them? I saw a two faced doll on eBay recently but I didn't like either of the faces so left it there. Your twins are funny though! No the package has not arrived yet but things seem to be slow at the moment so there is still hope!
Yes i made the twins. I cut up a glove for their hats and nappy. I used two dolls one was broken so it worked out. WOW the post is VERy slow!! It may have been lost forever... hope not.
DeleteBeautiful vibrant flowers!
ReplyDeleteThat beautiful color is so welcome! You are an orchid whisperer!
ReplyDeleteThe life of your orchid--that's a story with a metaphoric meaning I'm still pondering--the roots having a death grip on plastic and the plant still defying the odds and blooming into the unknown. May Texans have that strength of survival in spite of it all. But shaking my head that Texas does not import energy because they want to avoid federal regulations--they want a free market for a utility, they got one--only it's not free. And that mayor telling the citizens looking for a way to survive this that the gov't is not coming to help, deal with it. Then the state's declared and emergency and FEMA is coming. May be a good thing, may be a bad thing, may be just a thing. Who knows? Curious what we humans do when we cluster together in places. Beto O'Rourke is doing his damnedest to save the day and help the people.
ReplyDelete