My Blog List

Sunday, January 17, 2021

Old stuff, no new stuff

"I am a girl who loves my island
And the girl who loves the sea, it calls me"....


Lyrics from Moana, this morning on the radio. Misheard as  " I am a girl who lost my eyelids, the girl who lossesee, ittallsme". Astonished at such lyrics I had to google Moana to get the straight scoop. I mishear lyrics nearly always.

The first time I met the Pacific ocean, I was 3.5 years old.  I remember this day  as clearly as  if it was five minutes ago. The waves came in and whipped the sand out from under me, falling backwards as the waves engulfed me, tiny as I was. The waves could have been two inches tall but it was enough to slap me silly  and to know that I was helplessly being tumbled by a Godzilla force . Figured it out finally. Stay low to the ground and you won't fall so far.  Lean into the ocean , warm and weird. I loved it! I wanted to marry the ocean. Parents had a very hard time getting me  back to the high Wyoming plains. I vowed to go back one day.And so i did.

When age was in my favor I  headed for the coast. Living by the sea is like breathing , you know. I do not think I could happily  live inland  now...( as we wait for tidal waves and earth quake that is far overdue- ask me about living on the coast when we are UNDER the sound) 

We owned a tiny  cabin on the beach when we got married,  Erik was born , we had two and a half  doggos, but there were too many limitations. Number one, It was  on the Lummi Reservation which I loved but we were not Lummi, obviously.  Number two- it was too far from town and i was alone with a baby most of the time. Number three, not a great place to raise a little white boy.

 We spent everyday on the beach in all sorts of weather, finding all sorts of treasure. I had a great collection of beach finds- old pottery, boat bits, jasper, beach glass- When we moved to town I brought it with me, such a fine collection. It was the first thing Dennis determined did not belong  so out it went. Me thinking "treasure" - he thinking "trash".  He was right, probably maybe. ( no he was not!)

Nothing new here- nothing to blog about, just that my mishearing of the lyrics sent me down this track, and now I am wondering how it would be to lose my eye lids.


4 comments:

  1. Interesting how landscape/waterscape calls us. I know I belong in these foothills of the Adirondacks. I used to have to write that word quite often, before Spellcheck. I mentally divided it into Ad i-r-o-n- dacks. Bingo. Adirondack chairs never got me again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those are the things you never throw out! Stones and shells and bits from places that matter. They need their own special box. The kind that when people find it after you die they think "What on earth?...." But they take you back to a precious moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is really quite possible that you know my brother. Or his former wife. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a spring fed creek was my favorite place to play by myself when I was growing up and visited my aunt and uncle every summer, spent my teen years at the beach, later grown spent much time on rivers. love running, moving water. lakes seem to me to be stagnant. the beach is an hour away. why don't I spend more time there?

    ReplyDelete