My Blog List

Saturday, January 23, 2021

best Bernie


    

If something can make me smile with love in my heart these two memes do . Gotta love Ol' Bernie , his recycled sweater mittens , his metal fold out chair from the back closet in the basement ,  master of  casual  


OK, let's get on with democracy  , time to  clean up the mess - change direction in a bigger way. The iron is hot! Strike! Growing up in our household we had a sharing thing- our needs were met and our profits from babysitting or odd jobs were shared. (I did most of the sharing, my brother did most of the not sharing) but it was a quality value for a firm foundation.  Greed was not prevalent ( except maybe for  my brother...) But , in the end, even he became a generous person, a care taker of the less fortunate. As it should be. Put on your Bernie mittens and let's get to work! We have so much to give.

https://fourwayreview.com/commencement-speech-delivered-to-a-herd-of-walrus-calves-by-matthew-olzmann/

Above is a link to the best poem of the day, posted on https://bobnsophie.blogspot.com/. I am posting it also because it made me feel better, a bit of walrus perspective. 

24 comments:

  1. Love that! I missed Angus this morning, it was good to see that link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was on Jim's laptop. I always forget that.

      Delete
    2. I have done that before, not on Jim's laptop but on Dennis's facebook page because i am not on facebook, but occasionally will check in to see what my cowboy friend is up to.

      Delete
  2. Dear old Bernie. Glad he's still around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bernie memes have been so fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a star! They have been hilarious and joyful.

      Delete
  4. I, too, have enjoyed the Bernie memes. I love the Dating Game one.
    The walrus poem didn't really make me feel better but I enjoyed it.
    "For example, the bear will gnaw apart your skull
    or neck until you stop that persistent twitching;
    it will eat your skin, all of it, then blubber, then muscle,
    then the tears of your loved ones, in that order;
    it will savor every bite, and you will just
    suffer and suffer until the emptiness can wash over you.
    The good news is: things change! "
    Actually, this is sort of how I feel this morning. Having a real Sunday of a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop that persistent twitching! Leveling and humorous - Humour dark and true enough to give Hallmark and Episcopalians pause.

      Delete
  5. How often do you remember smiling at anything government-related in the last four years. Or even seeing a smile from anyone in government? Let the good times roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes indeed! no longer nauseous, no longer heart sick. Smiling- feeling a bit hung over but on the mend. America

      Delete
  6. Yeah, we've gotten a kick out of the Bernie memes too. I love the Dating Game one! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the Bernie memes have been great but did you see the one of Michele with the light saber?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What was it that made that image of Bernie catch fire I wonder. I have been contemplating this deeply and am trying to make sense of my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old guy with a "git offa my lawn" attitude. wearing chunky home made mittens , an old coat, on a cheap fold out chair from the basement...the most formal and meaningful event since President Obama took oath. Just sitting in the cold being a guy... Bernie. Democratic socialist with the power and support of youth and the squad, the optimism of Truth Justice and the American way! Bernie super man. Take care of your brothers and sisters kind of guy , not dressed for the press, dressed for the business of getting on with democracy...and it's endearing.

      Delete
    2. This is such a good question, I hope I may jump in---would love to hear others' answers...
      I think Bernie plays the Court Jester here--even as we're all so relieved as the new administration, he reminds us, humorously that the Emperor has no clothes, he too is just one of us, though he won't say so.
      And Bernie IS us,
      the Great Rumpled Masses who have just shoveled the snow.

      But also, he's a visual, incongruous punch line-- the essence of a good joke.

      Would love to hear more ideas...

      Delete
  9. Bernie's everywhere these days... except the oval office. Gotta love him. Have fun with your new studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie, Love him love his mittens. If I ever get to the new little space i am sure i will have fun...It is the tiniest studio I have ever had so it will require some clever placement of stuff!

      Delete
  10. Speaking of the essence of humor being surprise, incongruity---and poking holes in pomposity (even the splendid pomp and circumstances of a graduation or inauguration):
    what a hilarious poem!
    ... pointing out climate change is worse for the polar bear than for the walrus:
    "the enemy of my friend is my friend".

    And this is a really good speech, for real, for these times--you might get eaten but you are brave.
    Sort of like Amanda Gorman says in her poem--
    There is light if you're brave enough to see/be it.
    But the poem punctures the Hallmark feel of that by reminding us:
    You might be a seal, and that light might be a hole in the ice,
    and when you pop up through the hole,
    there's a polar bear waiting for you.

    Thank yoU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOPS, Polar bear, damn! It eats you and your family and all of your ancestors and then bloody well becomes extinct with all of that history of "our people" in its tummy.

      Delete
  11. I went crazy making Bernie memes! You've gotta love him. What I really loved was his endorsing a sweatshirt with proceeds going to Vermont food banks or for seniors. Made me smile big -- and I love that he is loving the attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genuine human being, our Bernie. He is getting his well deserved jollies from the memes. LOVE that man.

      Delete