My Blog List

Monday, December 21, 2020

dark and melting but there is cake!

Darkest shortest day, rain not letting up, fridge is full, There is a rum cake from last 
christmas thawing on the counter. Good morning ! Going nowhere, sitting in the dark. Grateful for the few lights that people have put up, twinkling through drippy air. Could be worse, as they say, when things are not ideal.


Thought I would go out to get the mail, um, nope, changed my mind, it can wait , it will  melt in the box. Our mail is usually so soggy that the ink is unreadable anyway. "Oh- is this a bill wanting a whole bunch of money?" - "Don't think so- it's a  blue water color !" - "good, off the hook, again..."


Tomorrow will be better, next year will be better- people will be no smarter but we might get a reprieve from the intensity of the idiocy that has crammed the airwaves, everyday life , for the past four years. Yes, please.The really great thing about dark days is that a dirty house is as good as sparkling. Even if I tried to clean floors in the dark it would not be very gratifying. so never mind. I'll just  plug into netflix or  a book, and eat  rum cake with a gallon of tea. By the way, we sort of watched "PROM", last night, How bad is it? SOOOO bad! I fast forwarded though most of it, the usual formula with a  sappy sticky effort to illicit deep emotional response. Not even remotely watchable.  Saved you the trouble , you are welcome.
 

16 comments:

  1. We watched the first few minutes of it and that was quite enough.
    Really? Why?
    And no thank you.
    Yes. Things could be worse. Absolutely. Happy solstice, lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light can not return fast enough! Happy solstice to you too, glad we agree on what NOT to watch, that was pure shite!

      Delete
  2. Let the cake be sufficient unto the woes of the day.

    (I just made that up, but I think it's Biblical. Except for the part about cake.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayeth the angel on high! And Lo, the cake shall speaketh to thine heart.

      Delete
  3. Happy Solstice! I too chose not to swim up to my mail box. I swear it was night at 3 pm. Now for longer days and the long long flat slate of winter. Buckled in ready to go a cat on my arm or leg at all times. Rum cake it is. And a giant blob of sun yellow butter. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we will get through this, planets are being weird , cars are breaking and the shower has become ice crystals. Cats will keep us grounded and stayed until when ever.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry about your climate. It's the reason we don't live there anymore. We just could not take it. When we were working it was tolerable, go to work in the dark, come home in the dark. We had a good sized gym in the basement, and a sewing area so there was indoor stuff to do. It did get old after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is old- sometimes i don[t mind it but ask me in
      February if it is worth it to live up here, i will be ready to tell you "hell no"

      Delete
  5. We haven't even had mail for two delivery days. Something about Covid! It's my opinion that had Trump not blown up the post office to be reelected, the mail would have not been deterred. Neither rain nor snow, remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Covid and the orange wad threw the post office for a loop.

      Delete
  6. I am in love with that first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that about the Prom. I was looking forward to it. I'm so disappointed we will be missing the conjunction tonight with heavy clouds. But the light is coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PROM is so lame, they must all be embarrassed. Spring can not come soon enough along with a vaccine!

      Delete
  8. Linda Sue! That top photo is an amazing abstraction. Perfect for the shortest day of the most profound and insane year. I'm coming to this a couple of days later; the sun has returned. But the snow remains. I wish for you a stellar day. Cheers, m'dear.

    ReplyDelete