My Blog List

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

a morning fence, magnificent Sarah, banana bread brick


Early  morning , young men in the garden, building a fence in between our yard and the yard that wants to keep the deer out. Much pounding , and scraping, and hauling- minimal swearing.

The deer fence will make her happy, we paid for half because we are nice that way, but we like having the deer in our garden- we do not cultivate precious plants, as she does.


The post man came to the door with a parcel. Poor guy through rain and sleet- I do appreciate him very much. Inside the parcel were two sections- the top being the birthday section, the lower, the Christmas section. I was so excited that I can't remember which was which because , as usual, I opened them all right then and there and squealed and ohhhhed and ahhhed. Oh my STARS!!!!

Sarah made this book, of water colour paper stitched together in a  canvas  board cover-   painted , as only Sarah can do. She made the mask that wraps round to close the book. The most clever , wonderful object in the universe!  The thoughtful book/girl  did not pass or catch any viruses on her way here. 


Another covid journal to fill, though I am intimidated and do not want to mar the perfection of this book.

You can understand I am sure!



I don't even know how she managed to knit these gorgeous sox, tiny knitting- perfect heel and toe, I am mystified and amazed. They feel like whipped cream , exquisitely soft. Oh, Miss Wallis, thou hast overwhelmed me with  thine goodness!




Years ago I found a Peking Opera puppet in a little antique shop where I used to get fairy surprises for Erik, as he was six years old- loosing teeth. It is magnificently no nonsense, keeps a steady eye on things , no body dares to cross him. He lives with Sarah now , this is a painting from Sarah of the very serious opera man. Brilliant!


Above the painting,  for the photo,  hangs the ornament that Sarah made out of her pipe stem findings from the Thames.  Genius, wouldn't you say! Oh yes indeed! Happy Birthday and merry Christmas from the most creative , generous friend in all of the kingdom,  our Sarah. 
To celebrate further, I made banana bread, new recipe that uses sour cream- , interesting texture , moist and dense. Next time my bananas are on the verge of liquid, I will make more but add a bit more baking soda. That might lighten it up a little. What do I know, I am not great in the kitchen, I need some Mary Juju. I learned to bake when I was in fifth grade 4-H. Wyoming , high altitude and dry as a bone . Everything is different here at sea level under  wet heavy skies. Water boils quickly, cakes sink, cookies bake/burn licketty split. It is different. Sarah also makes a mean boiled orange cake which I have  tried  to duplicate-but pretty much failed, not as good as hers by any measure. 

So that was this day- made out like a bandit, made stodgy bread, time for a nap.  It is so dark my body clock is off completely. It is time for nap all day, every day.

 

14 comments:

  1. Ooooh----what a trove!
    Sarah is a genius.
    Very Serious Opera Man looks like he could guard you very well through the coming year.
    The book! I do understand the hesitation: I feel it even facing a piece of paper! much less a beautiful bound book. But I want to see what you will draw and paint in it, so please do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can't wait to see what gets painted in this book, It will have to be special.

      Delete
  2. P.S. Did I miss your birthday? I WAS NAPPING!
    (Quite likely true---by 7 p.m. it's been dark for hours and I fall asleep. Often I wake up at 1 a.m. thinking it must be morning... Morning is dark too, so who knows?!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Born two days before jesus false birthday . What a scam.

      Delete
  3. Many happy birthday wishes! And what wonderful gifts and surprises! I love how Sarah incorporated the pipe stems and the journal is beautiful. The mask opening is very clever! Yes indeed -- a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should be famous and be rolling in cash from her art, equally amazing is that she creates in such a small space, she even made a LARGE elephant one time. She has three cats as assistants. Pretty sure they are a lot of help.

      Delete
  4. When I think of you, I think of color. Brilliant color. I'm pretty sure that Sarah thinks the same. What a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is mighty! She also has some paints that are vibrant- knows how to use them, too. England has the best art supply stores, best shops all around. When covid takes out as may folks as it needs to and the threat has gone- it may be time to go visit Sarah and stock up on paints and boiled orange cake.

      Delete
  5. I love your little watercolor book, complete with mask! Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, just another day on the covid calendar- and yes, the book is mighty fine indeed!

      Delete
  6. From an old sock knitter, those socks are perfect.

    ReplyDelete