Caught in the in- between of car future. Need a new car- the one I have now does OK around town but if I cross a bridge in the slightest of breezes it sways, is top heavy and rattles. Having given my trusty Subaru to a grandson for boy adventures, and given my sedan to my son, I bought a used Honda CR-V, not trustworthy!
So now we are looking at buying a new car- considering hybrid , considering all electric. Electric power stations are not readily available yet - a problem.
Considering safety , my favorite to look at so far is Volvo hybrid, Mr Man is looking at Tesla.
Tesla sort of freaks me out- not sure if I am ready for driving a brain...which also has a tendency to catch fire, and readily crumples in a crash with the curb. Looks like it would high center on a shadow!
I would love to not have to own a car but this land is vast and built around the automobile- so unless the queen lets me live in London I guess I am pretty much stuck, looking for a sensible ride.
Suggestions?
Then there is this bit of futuristic hazard. Interesting - who gets a ticket? I guess the uber company??


I drive a Prius- a hybrid. I like it fine.
ReplyDeleteWe considered a Prius also. The one we looked at seemed to take about thirteen hours to charge, I am also looking for something more substantial, something I could sleep in when the road gets weary, something I can pack with furniture found on the road. I just don['t know, and probably won't decide until it is too late and I have to relinquish my license due to old age.
Deletewe bought our new car 4 years ago. I would have liked a hybrid but since I picked out the last care we owned, a 1984 Volvo 4 door sedan, I let Marc do the deciding and he picked a Toyota Camry after he studied for safety and reliability. living out here in the country in Texas where there aren't ANY charging stations I suppose it was an astute thing to do.
ReplyDeleteGood choice Marc, they last forever and have great reputation for reliability. BUT they use only gas and that is an issue.
DeleteThe last car I owned was a small Honda Fit, and I loved that car, but it wasn't a hybrid or anything. It got good mileage, though.
ReplyDeleteGood car, HONDA- however- not only being conscientious about gas/oil but also pulling the plug on plastic, recycling clothing with my old beater of a sewing machine making new clothes out of old. ( they look like bum clothes but , you know, there is virtue in recycling)
DeleteMy daughter told me "a beater with a heater" should be adequate for my granddaughter, and I'm thinking my last car will be exactly that, either by never relinquishing my current car, or replacing it with a beater with a heater. I have a Dodge Caliber, and it meets all your requirements, except....gas.
ReplyDeletewe love our jeep. we might be a jeep family. but if used, nothing before 2012, when certain necessary modifications were made.
ReplyDelete