My Blog List

Friday, May 11, 2018

every rung goes higher higher, gravity and murder


Yesterday we heard distress coming from the flicker nest in the vents. Saw a flicker chasing a starling across the lawn to no avail. 

Starlings are assholes.
The flickers had removed the protective wire inside the vents- starlings, opportunists, discovered the easy access...and the babies, which they killed.


And so, Mr. Man decided to block the starlings - 

some birds are more equal than others, starlings are aggressive , mean ,imported, and highly successful. Flickers are local, really beautiful, and eat lots of bugs.
They are welcomed, too late now.
 Fortified wire  mesh will be hammered into the house  to cover the vents.


House down the street has four  tall ladders! Men climbing on the steep roof to replace shingles.
I had two friends who died and one cousin who broke his back that way.

Roofing - not a great profession. Gravity!! Starlings, not a great bird. Murder!!


10 comments:

  1. That's a shame about the flickers. It's a cliche but it's true -- nature is cruel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to not interfere with nature and it's wicked culling of the weak and less smart, or so they rationalise. In human world it does seem cruel and unfair- bullying babies to death.

      Delete
  2. I hate it when my husband climbs a ladder. HATE IT!
    Poor Flickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nerve wracking isn't it! I love the flickers. Not at all fond of starlings, bully rascals!

      Delete
  3. You are the second person I have heard with this same starling problem this summer. Mean critters. And ladders: they must be secured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasty little British imports, They eat all of the blueberries and kill all of the other birds, They are not gentlemen birds.

      Delete
  4. I guess there could be comparisons made to starlings and immigrants and terrorists but I won't go there. Starlings are tough opportunists and survivalists, messy nesters and bullies. I'll take the flickers although they've tried more than once to set up housekeeping in our chimney and bathroom flues and ended up in the house. Looks like Mr. Man has stuff to do to fill his days of freedom from drilling and pulling. Keep him off the roof. That's a job for Santa and his reindeer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No comparison at all. Mr. Man is busy all the time, and you are correct, no crawling around on the roof!! Diabetes is a twenty four hour job in itself , health compromises limit most shenanigans!

      Delete
  5. How could you bear to watch?! I, too, find starlings anathema, and mine are nearly a continent away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we were too late, the babies were already dead. Anathema is a great word!

      Delete