My Blog List

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Paper cone of tulips, Mallards in the yard, orphans and a foundling


 

At 8:00 pm last night the doorbell rang. Unusual at that time for anyone to come around unless it is an emergency.  I opened the door expecting a neighbor in need. No one there. At my feet a paper cone full of tulips and a wish , "Happ may day". I hollered to the bushes where I suspected the May Day faerie was hiding- "Thank you, oh wondrous May day sprite".  Brought them in to give them the blue vase treatment. 

The little lad down the street  was the faerie this time.


And yes, the rains came. Petals of tender plants not particularly enjoying the down pour - yellow poppy - especially weighed down by the heavy drops. Petunias do not like the rain either, like soggy lettuce in the bottom of a grocery store salad,  wilted and discolored. Who loves the rain?

Ducks . There were a pair of mallards in the back last night, something that has never happened before. The man duck watched - high alert- for  possible danger, as the egg layer scooped up fallen seeds and  the kibble softened  by  rain.  He is such a good man duck, attentive and sincere, protecting his woman so that they can continue making ducks in the future. And so it is in nature....sometimes.


Getting the house ready for the baby shower - one step forward two steps back as  one spot is cleared another rapidly fills back up with shite from living...magazines, books, tools, work gloves, the usual.  Mud tracked in, crumbs from breakfast, splats from spilled coffee- I like to get a head start but probably should just deal with it the day before the party and make a rule for the day- "Don't NOBODY move, or so much as breathe in this space!!". I do not think anyone but me cares anyway. It is all about the baby and the mom and well wishing friends , who minds that floor is caked with god knows what?

The orphans have been helpful, bringing to the table a bit of reality- NOT an angel from the heavens, the stork , the cabbage patch- but a howling infant that will not be consoled. The orphans fashioned a romper from a  1960's cocktail glass cover. That works to warm the infant, but still there are howls. "Oh well", they say," we will take it fishing, that should cheer it up." "A nap", I suggest, and so nap it is.


Drowned petunia. I hope the weather improves for the party, ordering a bit of sunshine, please.  I have already eaten most of the Non Pariel, bought some more- will not open them until five minutes before guests arrive, I can not be trusted. 

13 comments:

  1. Non Pariel! Nectar in edible form. Neither my sister nor I could resist, especially from the candy store down the road. Like many fine independent shops, no succession plan and so it went out of business. Not for want of our love of what she made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have always been my favorite, just the right amount of crunch in a small creamy flat wafer, a party in my mouth! Sad that your favorite shop could not sell enough non pariel to stay in business. - the way of all good things it seems.

      Delete
  2. Poor little baby, perhaps they could take him for walks in that perfect little pram. the baby shower will go well, no one will notice anything but the food and the new mum-to-be. I will cross my fingers for sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a sweet surprise! I love it that some kids still do May Day! Just makes my heart sing. All the flowers are wonderful. We're in rain zone, too. And cold (though today they are threatening 50!!! Alert the media!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd cry too if you had a onesie made out of a cocktail glass cover! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Although that is quite enterprising, to give credit where it's due. :) )

      Delete
    2. Yes I suppose I would...though it could well be a fashion statement- you did see the costumes at the Met this year??

      Delete
  5. Those orphans! They know what to do in all situations. They are just the best!
    As is that Mallard daddy. Taking care of the mother of his children.
    I think this is going to be the best baby shower of all times.
    Your pictures are insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Sometimes photos turn out Ok , I would need a better camera to make them "insanely" good, really. My phone is not great.It can have conversations but as far as photos , meh...Wish you could come to the shower- Give some encouragement and love to the new Mother.

      Delete
  6. Love seeing that pair of mallards in your yard. What a lovely sight that is. And that May Day bouquet is so lovely. Sweet gift from neighbors. The baby shower will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mallards in the yard is not something that happens every day! In fact only once in 36 years!

      Delete
  7. ooo, non-pariels, my favorite along with jordan almonds which I should not eat with my old teeth. and how sweet to get a may day gift of flowers. a blond orphan? I missed her joining the gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the blond orphan came with another twin- They were is a "LOT". Pretty cute but not as fiesty or inventive as the red haired orphans... Yes a may Day HAPP from the little boy down the street certainly made me glad!

      Delete