Sunday, May 21, 2023

dog damage, new Mayor, bogus student card


 This is Brian and his little dog, Sadie. They came to the baby shower, as he is the Grand dad of baby still taking her time on the inside.  Her name might be Margo Olivia- not sure yet.

When Brian got home and was unpacking his truck, Sadie was laying on her cushion minding her own little business, as usual. 

Out of nowhere, and very quickly ,a dog came upon her and shook the life out of her. No reason.

I know that pit bulls get a bad rap, that their breeders have to be mindful, that their owners have to be super trainers, consistent and true. Actually one of my favorite breeds but they can be Jeckyll -Hydish -like a wild animal made domestic- never know when the switch will flip and their wild nature will surprise you. The pit bull was killed as this was not the first time he had gone into fighting killing mode. 

-0-

On a better note- the Orphans elected a Mayor. He is from the bin at the Co-Op , at first reckoned to be a gopher but indeed he is a Prairie dog from Wyoming.  I looked him up.  A  capable Mayor he will be!

The orphans had a casual ceremony - crowning him with a garden basket, giving him their only hoe, they had heard that he liked to dig (and also that the Mayor of this larger people town liked hoes...not even kidding.), and challenging him to make a good enough  speech, worthy of this honor.
 

He was spectacular, Especially the speech  in elegant Prairie dog  squeals. "That will do", they agreed and went about getting him ready for the formal evening event.
There was a parade of marching petals and ants, music from the "damned starlings" in the roof. There was a proper speech of movingly expressive  squealing - there was a brioche bun from the bakery, large enough for the entire crowd.

Orphan town in good hands. Welcome Mr. Mayor. Adults adulting may think that this Prairie dog  came to us for the sake of Flora...Those adults would be wrong.

Mr. Mayor will be traveling with me when I depart for the shore of the
Thames. I can not wait! Getting out of this god forsaken land will be just in time before I lose all of my bearings! 

All week I have been on my own, in my own little world- Dennis gone. Binge watching all 30 hours of Ted Lasso and some other things on Apple TV. Superb! Today, however, Kim called and filled me in on what has happened during this past week- none of it good- murders - gunfire in park and lake- Kim walking her dog on a beach minding her own damned business thank you, some old toot went up to her called her a name that we were unsure of while telling her to get off of the beach because her dog was not allowed. (?) Anyway , the name was " Potlicker" - never heard that one before, had to look it up. There was more news of the week but those two things are  stand outs.

Staying at home seems like a no brainer these days- guns, shooting , killing willy nilly is such  a fad....  Getting out of this insane country is the best idea ever! September will come soon enough, I know it will- time seems like a meth addicted freak- a thousand miles a minute in all directions. Still , I would like to leave within the next twenty minutes.

I have my Australian Student card!  Think I can use it? 

When we lived in  Thorne Road squats in  south London it seemed everyone  had a special talent for something extraordinary. There were plumbers, electricians , carpenters, teachers, a lawyer,  a couple of med students, and one guy who could make convincing Cards of all sorts! This card was good for student discounts, flights, museums and galleries, Plays and concerts, the cinema- student advantages for NHS,  it was GOLD!



So, yeah, we stuck it to the man...I was 26.  Back home Nixon was hanging by his fingernails, VietNam  raging, kids / friends blown up for no reason or at the very least fucked up for the rest of their lives- all of our marching and protesting ending in bashed heads and jail time, sometimes death, "four dead in Oh- Hi -Oh"- Government  terror - which it has become again.  Time to bail! The future was yesterday...especially at my age.

So , bah blah blah, no news there. I am sitting here now with the doors wide open, a Squirrel by my feet interested in my toes, a raccoon halfway on the inside rug by the door helping herself to  peanuts.  Happy. In this moment life could not be better.

Feeling secure, in good  Prairie dog paws....
 



22 comments:

  1. “TERRIFIC “! The Orphans know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when things get out of whack, go to the orphans!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about Sadie :(
    The orphans did a great job with the election.
    Are you going alone to the UK or taking Dennis with you? I wonder if you might decide to stay there, away from the gun insanity forever. Are any orphans going with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking a small carry on and staying for nearly five months so will be taking very little. The orphans will stay here but the mayor will go along. Dennis does not travel.
      Sadie was the sweetest little girl. a very shocking ending to her tiny life with Brian. very sad.

      Delete
  3. Lots to say about the dog but I won't. But the mayor? Oh, he's a fine choice! Very handsome, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a grand choice indeed, quite peased about the sistuation, glad to be out of the bin and in a place of honor!

      Delete
  4. As someone who has owned several rescue pit bulls (many years ago) I know that what you say is true. I don't care what anyone says. Pits can flip and then they kill. It's horrendous when they do.
    I'm not sure I realized you were going to be gone for FIVE MONTHS! Well, good for you. I am afraid to ask though if you will be blogging at all there. I would so love to see what your life is like, transported.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a stray pit bull for a while when we lived out on the rez in a cabin- He was the happiest little dog i had ever had- BUT one day he attacked a lab on the beach and tore him to shreds, So...had to call animal control and have the pooch put down.
      I am foing to try to figure out my ipad for blogging and IG. Hope so...

      Delete
  5. That's terrible about Sadie! Was the other dog just running loose? I must admit I've had moments of fear when Olga has passed a tiny dog like a Chihuahua and I've worried she might not know what it is. But she's never done any harm, thank goodness, and now she's too old to be bothered.

    Love the Australia card! Didn't anyone ask why you as an American had a student card from Australia? That couldn't have been very common back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one challenged the card back in the day. Lucky as funds were low- any discount or freebie was a life saver!
      Poor little Sadie , but worse poor Brian.

      Delete
    2. also the dog was on a leash but jerked away from the walker.

      Delete
  6. I walk my little dog on a leash so that when big dogs we don't know charge at us barking I jerk her up to safety in my arms. only takes one bite to do little dogs in.

    this country is getting scarier by the day. it's a good time to be old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad about Sadie and that fatal interaction with a pit bull. I wish pit pulls weren't so vicious. I love seeing that raccoon. We haven't seen any raccoons in our yard this year. But we did see the skunk that may be living under our shed again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't seen a skunk in a few years here- they used to be frequent cisitors as well as opossum- we are down to raccoons and squirrels now.

      Delete
  8. So sorry about Sadie, how traumatic.
    I'm on my work computer and think I'll have to look up "potlicker" at another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unbelievably traumatic! Shocking! Potlicker can mean several things, none of them complimentary....

      Delete
  9. My condolences to Brian, what a terrible thing to have happen. I admire you going for five months with only a carry on, I'm incapable of traveling that light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a challenge as I am packing for three different weather changes! I will check the charity shops for wearables- I am not fancy...

      Delete
  10. Out of control dogs - and people - are not confined to the USA, sadly, but so far we have not reached the heights - or depths - of your country. This country is a mess but it's home, for all that. I hope you travel safely, not stuck next to a blob, and enjoy your sojourn in UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! If there is a competition think the out of control-ness prize might go to the USA.

      Delete