Saturday, May 27, 2023

A walk, a hat, a book and charity shop finds

Finally the perfect day ! A walk around the neighborhood , checking on people's gardens and flowers. There are many but it seems there are mostly wild flowers growing as though we are still in lock down covid days. Curious how those years changed everything for us- some for the better- like- staying home more, letting nature be natural.  Lupines and buttercups, foxglove and poppies taking over  where  there once were mowed lawns. Maybe people have decided that "the look" is not all that - given up control- it is easier than trying to tame the land . That can only be a good thing , especially for spring bugs!

Walking in the  brand new sunshine is amazing, blinding- sunglasses are essential! A hat is too . When I got home I ordered one that actually fit my  micro head. That is another result of the covid years- too bad for brick and mortar but, tell you what- ordering from where I am sitting right now and getting the thing in two days is quite remarkable. So, now I have a hat that I would never have been able to find in this town.


It is a good one and can crumple up to fit into a carry on or a pocket while walking. Springs right back into shape! Unlike the person wearing it. There comes a point when "springing into shape " is no longer likely.


 

Walking in the sunshine , seeing in 3D like I just got eyes and am trying them out.For the longest time I thought my glasses were at fault but , no, it is just the light of day , rather lack of, that made me think that vision might be a thing of the past- like "springing". My glasses are just fine.

Big cottage/little cottage...neighborhood hasn't changed much  although there was a large chunk of ground that has been made bare where the cutest little cottage and garden was. Right on the corner- blackberries all around it protecting it from intruders. GONE! just like that! Dimes to doughnuts there will be a condo built...Building in this town has suddenly  gone nuts- slapped together with no thought of esthetics , quality or environment. I would say "butt ugly" but I don't know about that expression...I think butts are cute and they are really great cushions. Without them sitting would be impossible - and then what would I do with my time???


Sitting now , reading the book that I ordered from , yes, Evil
Amazon...One would have to sit  to read this exceptional horror story written by  Daniella Mestyanek Young  about being raised in the worst sex cult imaginable , not as suicidal  as Jonestown and maybe not as widely spread as Mormonism , a cult is a cult- but "The Family" or "Children Of God" as it was known in the beginning really takes the cake for patriarchal insanity and sexploitation.  -God is love and love is sex and your body is god's and children as young as 6 months old can be married off to the old toot that invented this horror show- according to the "family".  So, yeah, disturbing as hell , this life of a young girl in this prison of depravity where beatings were daily , starvation and isolation , thought control , no reading, lack of education , rape  and orgies with children - WOW, unfathomable but there you have it. Reasons to read this ?  Question nature or nurture- that old argument and to question everything everyone who, affecting conviction or authority, says, especially if they are male.

 Though Daniella was born into this situation she managed to get out eventually , educate herself, enroll in school- she has  just graduated - a masters from Harvard and has a  family of her own.  Who knows how wonky her psyche might be- I have not yet read that far. I found her on a podcast being interviewed by an ex-Mormon woman- the opposite of the Children of God's philosophy-but  Mormon "purity" code has much in common- just opposite end of the spectrum - both are extreme.


"Uncultured" is a gripper, very well written and flows right along, however ,  it should come with a warning to many of us who were  little girls caught in a powerless situation, confused, exploited,  called "love" and  OH the shame of it all. Patriarchal bullshit is the downfall of humankind. Perhaps it is more than that- why do we buy in? Fear? Most likely. It is complex, this being human on this planet event.  We are finally (maybe) coming to terms with the fact that there are more than two genders in our species ( except in Florida...)  That there are all of the in betweens - still dominant are the CISgender males - they do like control, they are used to it, it is their "birthright" , anything else is a threat to that, I suppose. Ok, enough of that heavy heaviness.  On to - STUFF.

These are the things I found for a dollar in the charity shop-


 
and three little pigs- I had some that I got from ETSY along with the wolf but I gave them  to Flora - I was lucky to find these three for a dollar in the charity shop, the orphans love them. No scary  wolf.

This day is another beauty- I might go outside, new hat, new sunglasses- old attitude Smash the Patriarchy!  Cheers!



22 comments:

  1. FRESCA here
    Those piglettes can huff and puff and blow the patriarchy down!
    I just read “Boy Erased”—a
    memoir by Garrard Conley, son of Baptist pastor father, who enters conversion therapy to become straight.
    It’s not a total horror show like “Uncultured”, but the relative “mildness” of the pressure made super keenly real the horror of what it feels like to try to STOP BEING WHO U ARE because people who love you tell you that you are disgusting.
    I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Of course I mean I recommend the book, not trying to stop being who you are.
      The Orphan Report on Linda Sue reads “she is the best funnest”— they have written this in code on your house so toys from thrift stores know they are coming to a Safe Space and the best fun one too! ❤️

      Delete
    2. Recommend not being who you are- hilarious, as if that ever worked for very long- I tried, for a while but , turns out , I am not sweet. "Boy erased" sound infuriating already! That poor child! Glad the little pigs came to live with the orphans- and the donkey, too. The crochet angel may have to go live with Sarah for a tree topping. The orphans are not keen on angels. Dragons, yes, angels, no.

      Delete
    3. FRESCA again—Ha, yes— the leader of that branch of conversion program himself eventually left and married another man—he denounces “conversion” now—
      says it can change (warp) you, but not change you being gay.
      A Procrustean bed

      Delete
    4. I tried not being me, being more like them so I would fit in, several times. never worked out, I always reverted to being me. finally gave that shit up by my mid-20s.

      Delete
    5. I tried being Chinese I was so in love with their culture but that didn[t work out either.

      Delete
    6. Fresca- procrustean bed, Great - that applies to all women in their thirties I reckon. Conforming surgically - starvation and crazy spikey shoes!

      Delete
  2. "thought control, no reading, lack of education" sounds just like what those fat old white men want the whole of America to be like! Shame!
    I LOVE those three little pigs! And all the flowers springing up everywhere as we head into winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those idiot men want america to be a cult- they have had some measure of success i must say- Florida leading!

      Delete
  3. You remind me to walk my neighborhood soon as the rain is gone, maybe tomorrow. Oh the poor children raised in strange structured ideologies (I was too) and managed to find themselves eventually! Glad the orphans and piglets are getting along. What on earth will you do with the card file?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the card file is a lovely long box where plants may live!

      Delete
  4. Have you read "Educated: A Memoir" by Tara Westover? If you haven't, DO! It is a story of the resiliency of the human spirit like none other I've ever read. Sounds like she may have a lot in common with Daniella.
    Your photos keep getting more and more amazing! How can this be? Is it the light of the sun or is it the light in your eyes? I love how the Orphans are loving on the three little pigs. "Such nice tummies," I think they are saying. "Perfect for our snuggling comfort!"
    That hat is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Educated" is a compelling unreal adventure into insanity and redemption- I have only read snippets and listened to interviews. Yes, i will read it for sure, the entire book.
      HAHAHA thank you , yeah, must be the light!
      Snuggling comfort is welcome and the pigs do their best!

      Delete
  5. I would like the specifics of that hat please, like what it's called and where you got it.

    the patriarchy sucks. I've been working on a post about the empowerment of women and the rising violence of white males pissed off because they can't get laid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wallaroo petite Victoria- hat. Camel blend.
      Oh good , i can'[t wait to read your post- it will be just what the doctor ordered. When you think of it we all live in a cult- the cult of CISgender men!

      Delete
  6. I love seeing all that blue sky and sunshine there. The flowers are so beautiful and the Orphans are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it gorgeous?! And the birds are singing!

      Delete
  7. I've read/ listened to some post-escape stories from ex-Mormon girls. Sickening stuff. Uncultured sounds riveting, makes me wonder about all those with stories who never escaped.
    Those piggies are just the right size for the orphans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the right size for a dance party, which may happen this evening at thirteen o'clock. Cults are patriarchal for sure- all about testosterone and power- women/girls/gays all take a back seat and more abuse, of course. I fell down the cult google hole last night and discovered some HORROR! OMG! Humans are the worst!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the recommendation of Uncultured. I shall have to read that one. It sounds a bit like Educated by Tara Westover, which was harrowing but also a gripper. It is good to be reminded of the resilience of the human spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those piglets! SO cute! And thanks for sharing about Uncultured. It sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete