Wednesday, April 19, 2023

smart baby, excellent findings not about need


 

Flora is small for her age, they say. She is  a mini human that can do all of the things but, my God, she is tiny!

We played after her nap - chirpy and delightful and then , just like that *snap* she became feverish and noodley. She slept another hour and a bit on my chest. I sang to her- got the notes to vibrate soothingly in my chest and off she went into dreamland with all the little finger twitches and kicks. Awoke not feeling well, and she did cry.

Not sure what it was that came on so suddenly, Maybe teeth. This morning she is just fine- ready to go another round. Emily sent a video.

On my way over yesterday I stopped by thrift store and for the price of a cup of coffee, bought the very old Swiss bucket, built shaker style,  and two original  Nils Olsson Dala horses. Charming! With underbelly stickers from Sweden still pristine , signed by the artist. Remember, it is not about need!  It is about treasure and clutter and things to keep dusted and oiled, it is about being an old granny with too much stuff that will make the survivors grumble- "how could she live like this".

Flora will probably like these little horses when she is older, like MY AGE!

That will be a long wait and I will be long gone. and who knows what the state of the world will be in by then- Climate headed toward a new age-  not really "new", but  more abrupt! In warmer climate  mammals become smaller,  horses became chiwawa size in paleo-climate history , shrinking down from a reasonable three feet high to pocket size.   Flora is evolution at work, preparing for a hotter earth, being small is survival. Plus being the smartest baby ever will certainly help.

Rhubarb is growing in her neighborhood on nearly every corner. Sweet houses with small organic gardens , narrow side walks that are crumbling a bit. Quiet , well established, hip young folks doing their best to live small. It is good.
A metal chair by the trash to be taken- If it is still there today I will have it, It is too good for landfill!  More stuff for the hoard? Off I go, another lovely day with smart baby hoping the bug has passed or whatever it was. Probably making more teeth- a hard job!


13 comments:

  1. Awesome post! The chair is *almost* enough to make me wish I had a place to keep it.

    Is The Lady & the Bird nfs?

    (I had to delete the prev as I left out a word that made it hard to understand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chair was gone so ...not alone in our admiration.

      Delete
  2. All that chair needs is careful painting, which will be tedious, with all those spindles. I hope you snag it. If that picture is of Flora first getting up, she already is coming down with some ailment. How red her cheeks are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just woke up but yes, too rosy- teeth coming in terribly!

      Delete
  3. You know, Jessie was a teeny-tiny child for years. My pediatrician said, "Mary, she is the runt of your litter." Because i loved him, I was not insulted. And look at her now- almost six feet tall. Flora may surprise you.
    Beautiful treasures. I can see why they had to come home with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she will catch up- her Dad is really tall, everyone on Mama's side is short and tiny. For now it is great for her to be so small because she is easy to carry.
      Always seeking treasure, aren't we...

      Delete
  4. "it is about being an old granny with too much stuff that will make the survivors grumble- "how could she live like this"" Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would take that chair! The bucket and horses were good finds, too. You have really good thrift stores there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you have really great street finds there, free for the taking! I have to pay a dollar.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful thrift store stuff. I guess it all congregates in Bellingham. It's certainly not here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we never have good stuff like that in these podunk agricultural red county thrift stores. just glass jars and plastic containers and plates and mugs out the wazoo no one wants.

    ReplyDelete