The terrible plastic chairs that have dwindled from six to three, having spent their chair lives being forts and GI Joe barricades and whatever else the kids came up with- been painted three times, this time the paint job is not acceptable and they will be headed to chair afterlife when this summer ends. They have existed on the deck for about fifteen years, not bad for cheapo plastic chairs! They are chipped and dinged and the paint job is really horrid up close - they are still great for butts and they did take their fashion sense from the poppies. So, not entirely lame.
I scrubbed the deck with Fabulosa and white vinegar, following Mary Moon's lead. I can only find it at the dollar store - it must be toxic but smells heavenly and takes a year's worth of bird poo, slime and dirt off in a few thousand swishes. I used a brush as well.
I cleaned the bird feeder but the bottle brush got stuck and broke everything. Off I went to Ace to get another. All of the bird feeders were poorly designed, our old one came from Audubon. Ace had cutesy ones that are more for people than for birds. I bought one that is satisfactory until...Oh - look, Dennis fixed the old one ! He is a great fixer of objects- so now we have two bird feeders. The one I bought is very pleasing to the squirrel and the black headed gros beak.Chickadees and finch seem to like the old one better.So , everyone is happy!
The purple finch is not at all purple.
Looks insulted that some one has labeled him purple when clearly he is rose.
Finches having a natter over lunch.
So that's that, Prince Charles and Camilla will not be watched in this house as we find them unprepossessing, particularity the notion of Tampon Prince and the Rottweiler , as is their love story. We will celebrate the Queen of France, however. Long may she reign. Canada is thinking hard about why the hell they give billions of dollars to the
"Empire", especially now that the real queen is gone. I wonder that too.









You must learn to not put away your woolies until the end of June. I won't be watching the coronation either. I missed the last one because I was either too young or not born yet. Your French looks as if she takes life very seriously.
ReplyDeleteThis will likely be the only coronation in our lifetimes, anyone other than Camilla and Chuck would be fine...Give the crown to Kate, I say!
Deletedolly! French dolly!
ReplyDeleteGot it!
DeleteBelieve it or not, I had on the lightest cashmere sweater you sent me yesterday morning. Here! In Florida!
ReplyDeleteYour French doll reminds me a bit of Hitty. Did you ever read the book about her? "Hitty: Her First Hundred Years." My childhood favorite. I think you would like it as it tells all about the adventures of a carved wood doll. Also, beautiful illustrations.
Your birds are as glorious as your blooms.
That is rare! Sweaters worn in Florida, end of April!! I never did read Hitty but will now. The Queen of France is wonderfully carved, her face!! such a perfect little scowl.
DeleteEven I was wearing long sleeves Saturday night and the first part of Sunday. We;ve been having an extended spring, shilly in the mornings but lovely days. that rosy breasted finch is called a house finch. at least down here.
ReplyDeleteToday is another winterish day- The flowers are shocked but will make it through. the poppies are gorgeous!
DeleteLove that French queen...wonder how long ago France had a queen, was it Marie Antoinette perhaps. No wonder the scowl. Kicking the habbit of opium is always a good sign.
ReplyDeleteShe is glad to take command of France, at the moment they do need a good queen.
DeleteI think pretty much everyone -- even here in the UK -- is re-assessing their relationship with royalty at the moment. We're not all that excited about it, and I agree that your French princess's crown is far superior. I also think those chairs look pretty good, at least from afar. You certainly got your money's worth!
ReplyDeleteI guess these chairs were made with just enough unbreakable plastic that gives when the weather frezzes and warms...I did get my money's worth, true!
DeleteNo Queen Elizabeth- no need to carry on the charade.
We used to have a lovely bird feeders up when we lived in Port Townsend. The migrators were so beautiful. I miss them. I think the chairs look great from here. Bold and beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSpring and Autumn up here is hard to beat. Looking out of the window just now- so abundant, so fertile, green and blossomy! Bright little birds flitting around- extraordinary!
DeleteWhat Steve said. For the life of me I don't get the monarchy, they're (House of Windsor, anyway) a collection of backbiting, sniveling folks that cost the UK Gov't a lot of money and produce nothing.
ReplyDeleteThey are so damned rich They could all live on what they have in pocket. Do they distribute it to the poor, oh hell no.!
Delete
ReplyDeleteWell, the good news is this year they won't be killing any civets for their oil to go into the annointing oil. This entire thing just seems stupid to me, what good are they? What do they bring to the table? Is it possible to jettison a monarchy?
totally agreeing with you- the monarchy died with Elizabeth and then it was just hanging by a thin thread of sentimentality.
DeleteThat is a very fine crown that you whipped up from the thing drawer. Funny, I knew exactly what you meant by thing drawer. It shall henceforth be called that in our home as well! See? Royal decrees are catching. We will not be watching the coronation either. Unprepossessing in a kind euphemism for the pinched hearts of those two. Oh well. The world continues to turn. Hello, hello!
ReplyDeleteyes, and on we go without Queen Lizbette at the helm , without Prince Phillip as rudder, we are left only with ballast - the ship seems to have a sprung a leak as well...
DeleteThe thing drawer does bail me out- many times- but you know it is quite a mess!
She is beautiful. But then, she's French!
ReplyDeletemais oui!
Delete