Under her influence , some bad decisions were made, and some of the best life changing ones , too.
She said that she would live to be at least 100, everyone believed it , she had secret powers. Well, not so secret really,
more up front and out there- more of an "I get what I want" sort of non secret! I have had some of my best times with this woman!
But sometimes , in a pinch, she might help , sort of. Like bring jello if one had a tummy ache. I have learned a great deal from her- no molly coddling allowed- pick yourself up and do the best you can- get on with it with what you have. "If you do not even have a dime for a cup of coffee- drink water, it's better for you."
Sage...
Pat at the age when we met in Port Townsend.
Convinced me at this time to stay in the Ham instead, after the boat sailed away...and help her raise a pig, finish my degree, act in plays, sing in choirs, do art, learn how to sew better.
Good decisions.
I realize after her first stroke that I had lost her. Her sharp mind and wit and ability to reason- gone, her demanding controlling manipulative personality remained, full force. I reckon she had ADHD but there was no diagnosis for that in our world, so when the stroke robbed her of any sort of filter- well, you know- unleashed some shite behavior.
I did my grieving then, so last night at about 10:30 I got a text from her daughter in law that Pat had just checked out altogether. We both sighed with relief. I am not sad. Pat fell a few weeks ago , had a brain bleed due to blood thinners and never really came back- or when she did she was utterly lost. So that's it , Pat, off you go. Missing you but I have been missing you since the first stroke - no news there. See you later old friend, in the cosmos where we have always been.
-0-







37paddington:
ReplyDeleteBon voyage Pat! She sounds like a wonder friend before her stroke. I love how you pay tribute to her here, loving and appreciating her as exactly who she was. Not overly sentimental, just plain, pragmatic, truthful, just as she was. Now she is free.
sentimentality-and hallmark, after one dies is pretty much disingenuous, I find. We are human, not angels, not always glorious creatures under the sun. Our friendship endured, like a sister really. An older sister who would not let you into her room to borrow her things but would have your back when needed!
DeleteOh, dear. I have two old friends like Pat! At least I won't be the first to write such an obituary. Funny how they help keep life in perspective.
ReplyDeleteWe turned cold again, over the weekend, after a glorious stretch of weather.
taking old friends for granted, you know. She has always been an anchor. So it goes.
DeleteNice that you had weather that made you glad...we are still waiting. just glimmers to tease us.
If you believe in such things, then in Heaven Pat's mind is fully restored. Otherwise her soul is just floating around somewhere waiting to be reborn, if you believe in reincarnation. But as she was here on Earth, after the stroke, she is now better off just being remembered by those who loved her.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for your loss. What a lovely and loving long-term friendship you had with Pat. Love truly lasts forever in the heart. May her memory be a blessing. The beauty of spring flowers and visiting raccoons helps to balance these times.
ReplyDeleteThere are people who come into our lives and change them for the better. Pat was obviously one of those people for you. I will celebrate that and the fact that she is free now.
ReplyDeletethat is the most horrible of ways I think, that the body doesn't go when the mind does.
ReplyDelete