My Blog List

Tuesday, August 18, 2026

up date on wildlife, deck flowers and crow family

 Orca have been abundant this summer. It has been one of the most pleasant summers ever up here. Cool temperatures which every one thrives in. Here is a clip from Instagram of the shore of the bay in our neighborhood. 

 https://www.instagram.com/reels/Db8ohXcTnMF/

 This one is even better! 

https://www.instagram.com/reels/DcKMcgHvTYF/ 

The orca have been very close to the shore everywhere up here. Adequate food for them, cool weather Bliss.

Humane society for rehab wildlife called to reassure me that nature is the  best to take care of kit's amputation. Mother raccoons are attentive and will manage to clean the wound and keep the kit safe. They have not been back, though. The humane person said that if they do come back and if I notice that the injured baby is lagging or left behind , to capture it in a clear storage box, ( we have many)  , slide the lid under it as you would do to capture a spider in a jar. with a card .  

I will be surprised to see that baby again. Heart breaks... 

I have a wolf spider living downstairs. minding its own business, I am pleased to see them in the fall. They take care of business- flies...They are large about 2" in diameter and come in through the bathtub drain. I leave a strip of toilet paper over the edge, a ladder,  so that they can get out of the tub and get on with their lives.

The deck flowers are still producing new blossoms though the annuals are getting leggy and sparse. It is  fragrant  beauty!

 





Black nightshade berries- edible when they are entirely black and ripe.  They taste like cherry tomatoes only sweeter. 

Poppies blooming again from seeds dropped earlier in the summer! 
When I am on the deck it feels like an English garden.

This evening Austin , grandson, will arrive and commute to work from here to Whidbey Island, It is a long commute . Not sure how long he will stay here, could be until University starts in  mid September in Seattle. Dennis is sorting out his room upstairs for him. That is the best arrangement as he will have access to the bathroom as well as the kitchen if he has to get out of here early in the morning. 

The crow family that has been following Peg, the gull, to the deck all summer , has finally landed. They trust me now and will eat things that I offer, salmon skin is their favorite!  The fawn twins in the yard are still speckled but one has a skin condition and is turning white. No mountain lions this year!

On I go into a beautiful day - Might have to take a ride to the thrift store - Senior Tuesday!  My entertainment for the week! 

 

- THIS from the Bulwark this morning- 

What is it we say about bad things happening to bad people?

Meet Brent Jindra, a California tech salesman who voted for Donald Trump three times because of his promises to rid America of immigrants. Last year Brent met Galina Bobreneva, a nice Russian girl. They got married.

In July the couple took a domestic flight from San Francisco to Burbank. When they got off the plane government agents were waiting for Galina. First, they told her she had been selected for a “secondary screening.” Then, after getting her to a back room, she was handcuffed and hustled off to an unmarked vehicle. She spent the night on the floor of a jail cell in Los Angeles and was eventually sent to an internment camp in the Mojave desert.

And now Brent is upset because his wife isn’t that kind of immigrant. “She did not jump a wall, she did not swim a river,” he says.

This story has so many layers that I don’t even know what metaphor to use. It’s like watching a guy at the zoo jumping the fence and running full-speed toward a hot stove inside the leopard enclosure. It’s terrible. It’s karmic. And you can’t take your eyes off of it.

 

23 comments:

  1. They reap what they sow. You get bright flowers, family around you and abundant wildlife (the orca are magnificent btw - every summer here we get announcements the eagle rays have arrived again and all hope the orcas will arrive again too - to eat them) and maggats get karma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karma shite is a slow moving train sometimes...
      eagle rays sound intriguing! Are they delicious? To Orca?

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Now I'm confused. I thought I was growing cherry tomatoes. But they were weird. First they were green. Then they were all black. Now many are mostly more red than black (and taste good -- definitely tomatoes. Or are they these berries? I bought them in the tomato department. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaves and flowers are easily confused. We had plum colored tomatoes one year, edging toward black. Black nightshade berries are as small as the tip of your thumb and will grow no larger.

      Delete
    2. Jeanie; definitely tomatoes, my son grew the same and they are fully ripe when a bit red on the base.

      Delete
  3. The Orcas, in video #1 are diving and swimming surprisingly very close to the docks. Video #2 showing them in deeper waters gliding and deep diving through the sea gracefully is amazing.
    Sailing off the coast of Cape Cod we see an occasional whale as well as dolphins and sharks but only in deeper waters and usually not near land. Your Orcas are closer to land and great to see from ashore.
    Hopefully the injured raccoon will heal like the wildlife center predicts. The idea of an innocent kit being in pain is unthinkable. Maybe it is only me, but I want to know who is setting traps near you? For me this is a big problem. If I lived near you, I'd be out looking for traps. They do not belong in residential neighborhoods.
    Your deck flowers are still putting on a great show. Beautiful.
    I love your crow photo. With beak wide open, he's definitely got an opinion about something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha- Yes the crow has an opinion! They are such magnificent birds. So smart.
      There are some videos of the orca even closer to shore! I have never seen them like they have been this summer. If this is the end of the world, I'll take it! Not sure how his little arm got amputated. The rescue people reckoned that it is more common than rare. I have seen a lot of wounded animals but never this severe. poor baby! It just kills me! We are surrounded by woods and creeks so it is not entirely residential. If it was a trap may the trap person die a miserable death.

      Delete
  4. Poor Brent Jindra, it’s all okay until it happens to you. Other people’s suffering means nothing. Well, now Brent knows he’s not special. But in happier news, your grandson staying with you for a spell, young uns in the house can be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about grandson in the house! Finally a decent conversation and some laughter, youth and promise!
      Brent and his darling russian wife can both rot in Trump's concentration camp- anyone that voted for maga madness can fuck right off. Karma is a slow crawl...

      Delete
  5. What a horrible way to treat a person!
    I can't see the Orcas because I don't have an instagram account so can't "log-in". Your garden is beautiful, I love the crow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some of the videos of the Orca swimming so close to shore are available on you tube if you are curios. The flowers keep coming, at their most delicious stage!

      Delete
  6. I will never understand how some humans seem to have no empathy whatsoever. And then what a shock to realize that perhaps they weren't looking at the situation in any but the narrowest and most selfish perspective. I wonder if it's an inborn trait to not have empathy.
    Your flowers are the very best. They truly are.
    I still have hopes for your little raccoon kit. I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nation of sociopaths is america. Capitalistic societies generally produce more "me" people with little concern for community. No news there...
      I don't know, I think that we may be too sensitive for this world, but here we are, in the thick of it!

      Delete
  7. So if you're white and just overstay your visa, that's OK? He got what he voted for. Most of the people rounded up are not criminals or 'that kind of people'.

    The moms will keep the kit's wound clean but what about that bone sticking out. That can't be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. about the raccoon, none of it is good. Hasn't been back since they showed me the injury. BUT sometimes they heal from amputation and the moms are very attentive. Raccoon moms are the best. This time - I don't think the little raccoon will live.

      Delete
  8. Brent clearly wasn't paying attention to what the orange wanker was saying all the way through his campaign. I have no sympathy for people like him, his situation falls in the category of FAFO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brent -what an idiot. he well deserves grief. No boo hoos for Bent and his russian sweetheart.

      Delete
  9. Your English garden is beautiful. Still sorry, thinking of that little raccoon.
    I understand Jindra has "changed his political views". Ya think?!
    Nice of you to BnB the grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little raccoon I am afraid , did not live. The family has not been back so They must be mourning or something.
      I am.
      Grandson is Mr. invisible, a splendid guest!

      Delete
  10. Karma is a bitch. I'm really sad about the baby racoon, that is just awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that the little guy made it. Horror of an injury!

      Delete
  11. Tragic about the baby raccoon, life is tough for critters sometimes. Thanks for the clips on the Orcas. I grew up in a waterfront house on Agate Pass on the north end of Bainbridge Island, they were a common occurrence transiting the passage, we never got tired of watching them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orca have rarely come so close to shore here in the bay just moments from our house! They are magnificent , give me goosebumps!

      Delete