Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Stella's Mother's day, Cultish adventure, cute squirrel shenanigans


 

Stella had her mother's day at her house while her husband went to his mother's house. She made lunch of her choice, what she really wanted. it was a perfect day on the lake, in the sun. 

We had spritz! our favorite drink, in rainbow glasses.

The flamingos have a new home with Stella.
When I came back home I put more eighties bell charms on the necklace that was Erik's when he was three. These were a fad as big and short term as beanie babies but way less trouble. Taking up little space, more interesting, and fun to wear. Erik never wore it (I did)  but was thrilled every time we got a new charm from the bookstore down the street.



He had just had his forth birthday when Dennis decided that his new obsession - "Pursuit Of Excellence", now called "context", was a good idea for himself, his staff and me.  We all drove south to Seattle for the long, weirdo workshops, ending late at night, driving two hours away from the city in  the darkness and sleepiness, only to do it again the next day, for a week. 

The only memorable thing about it , other than cult bullshit, was that out of 320 people in the group I was the very last one chosen for  teams of "cunning". A contest of competition and sly wiliness, "intelligence" they called it. Two teams of 110 people each and I was the very last one , reluctantly , chosen.

After the intense workshops of "Excellence", sleep deprivation and hunger...Another workshop in the series was offered. The series was very expensive, Dennis picked up the tab - he "believed". So off I went to what was called "The Wall". A camp on an island where rules and workshops , cultish manipulations, and exercise determined our stay., you know , fighting your demons, understanding & taming them , pointing the finger at yourself....To  bring food issues to the fore, or whatever- really  cheap  minimal meals were offered,  water and oats for breakfast, an apple , string cheese and two soda crackers for lunch, fried rice mush  and veg for dinner. Not allowed to speak to anyone, we ate family style , not allowed to talk or offer the communal spoon to another.... the only time we could speak was when we were all in the lodge for "work" and could speak to the group when it was our turn. There was one hour of "free" time during the long day, where we were encouraged to sit in nature and contemplate what we had learned. Sometimes during that hour we were given an assignment-  write a poem about something in nature that reflects who you are- that sort of thing., or make a list of your shortcomings to be addressed...Anyway, I had never been away from Erik  for longer than twenty minutes. I left charms on his necklace on his pillow. He still remembers that time.

Mother's day bouquet fading quickly. Some flowers bending right out of the vase, seeking their own. Dying tulips are so cool.

I have a week to myself! I get so much done here when I am just me. Mr. Man has gone to Orlando for a hypnosis conference to take a "Master" class. Did he learn nothing from the "excellence" grift? Guess not.

When he is gone I leave doors open and windows wide, air circulating through the house, feels lovely. Crank up the music, joyfully sweeping, polishing and cleaning.

 Squirrel destroyed the screen door. I thought it was just out of boredom, something to do, but , no, he had a plan... I don't mind him running around  my feet- I stay still and just watch as he curiously sniffs around.

 



Going to the dentist today, will miss Granny day with Kim and Flora. After my appointment I am free for an entire week- glorious alone time! Rare,  needed. Maybe art will happen?

Cheers!

20 comments:

  1. for a few years I used to get a week alone in the house before covid shut that whole thing down. husband would go to Colorado to visit with my brother while my brother skied, husband did not. I loved my week alone and miss it.

    I think I would have bailed on the whole be better cult thing. no decent food, assignments. uh no. I've never like 'team' stuff either. If not the last chosen, the second to last. who needs that bs.

    the flamingos look very good at Stella's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have walked out first thing, I am sure of it. Your BS detector would have been triggered right away!

      Delete
  2. My man is out of town for this week. Speakers, loud, instead of ear buds.
    That "context" site is interesting, still culting away apparently. Should I be surfing in shirt and tie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. culting must pay off- it is expensive and they do little to make it worthwhile, ie: the breakfast lunch dinner a penny a piece. Music that can be heard across the yard is good!!

      Delete
  3. By the way, that's Stella's property? Like a resort, especially with the flamingoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella's house is a sweet little slice o' paradise.

      Delete
  4. It is so beautiful there. All the flowers, pink flamingos, and that view. So lovely in every way. Enjoy your week of alone time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alone time is the best. I used to make the record player and the vacuum cleaner compete, completely forgetting I had neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you a nickle that they never reported you to the noise police

      Delete
  6. Those workshops sound horrific! The bell charms are charming and I have NEVER seen anything like those here in Australia. You guys get ALL the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALL the good stuff! They were quite the thing, I still love them.

      Delete
  7. Stella lives with that fabulous view? :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seem to remember those charms. I wonder what happened to all of them?
    ALONE TIME! I know you will have the very best time. You know how much I love my time alone. It is precious.
    Dennis really jumps on bandwagons, doesn't he? I'm with Ellen- teams are not my thing. That whole experience sounds horrific. Well, at least you survived. The new version looks ridiculous and yet so many people buy into these things. Scientology, for instance.
    I believe we can all agree that Stella does indeed live on a piece of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will always be money making scamming grifters won't there? And people who buy in. The new version is nauseating, their web site must appeal to some folks as they are still in business...I dunno. Crazy.

      Delete
  9. So is Dennis learning to be a master hypnotizer, or is he being hypnotized in a master class? Traveling anywhere in Florida sounds awful, it's a bad place with bad vapors and such. Stella's yard is really special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he reckons to be a master although he has never hypnotized anyone, claims to have done so in high school with one peculiar friend. (?) Some folks "believe"...I wouldn't go to florida or texas right now if ever!

      Delete
  10. you have Stella cool going for you having the same glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. neither, she lives on small lake Cain

    ReplyDelete