These two scissor-cut ornaments were in a flat envelope at the thrift store, never having been opened. I didn't know exactly what they were but picked them up for a dollar anyway.
Made in Norway so of course they had to be something pretty great. They were hand cut by Karen Bit Vejle, with her grandmother's tiny embroidery scissors. I looked her up- she does wall sized cut outs , by heart, one little mistake and the entire 6 months of work on one panel would be destroyed- yeah sure, I want to go through her destroyed pile!! Anyway, remarkable skill? Here is a link; HERE
It made me think of artists dying for their art- usually toxic chemicals in paints or resins- artists ,too many to count, have died from that, and there are a few who have died from large sculptures falling over on them. One Marco Gusimo for instance, who crafted a 100 foot crucifix in honor of Pope John Paul the two... it fell over on him and crushed him to death. Loads of performance artists get killed by their art- John Jaire Villamil's piece about Bogota- plastic garbage bag over his head , not sure how that is significant but he suffocated. Death by garbage bag! Clever.
Another artist took a tiny sailboat out to sea- never was found.
Pippa Bacca hitchhiked from Italy to the Balkans, rather, that was her artistic intent, in a wedding dress- half way there she was raped and murdered.
Giuseppe Francisci died from gasses while making glass and stained glass.
Heavy metals in art supplies usually kills the artist, eventually , and of course there is always resin, fiberglass and formaldehyde, killing too many artists to list.
I am thinking that Karen Bit's art form is relatively safe- does one ever die of a paper cut? Maybe by 1,000 paper cuts as in Japanese torture, but scissoring huge paper cut -outs seems a good medium to work with.
And that brings to mind this- last night I was compelled to look up local obituaries and facebook to see if anyone had died, Sure enough one of my artist friends from way back in the day, living in the harbor had died. He, too, was killed by his art. He carved internationally prized pipes out of rare wood and bone and whatever else made a gorgeous piece- he did smoke them to make sure that they drew nicely even though his pipes were works that one might keep behind glass. Lung cancer that took off to brain and spine , he quit smoking after a heart attack , but did he really- sort of doubt it. He was a man who enjoyed a good cigar as well.
Beware of your art!
This is NOT coffee- Mr. Squeeze- The- Life- Out- Of- Everything runs water through the grounds until there is no oomph left- he likes very weak so called coffee, Mr. Frugal. Shades of the depression era, I reckon. If he liked to drink tea , I am sure that the tea would be the rich color of air by the end of it. Waste not!
I wasted some dollars on flowers for the party- baby's breath, lots of it!
It does not stay plump for very long - light and airy- and sweet like real baby's breath , turns into crispy little balls on the tips of thin stalks. I like it at all stages. Pointillist art?
After gathering flowers I went to the dollar store to get more of Mary Moon's cleaning supply- Fabuloso! The fragrance is so fresh I could dab it on my pulse points and call myself fancy-take -me-out-on-the-town Darlin'. Tomorrow i will use all two bottles I am sure, There is much cleaning to do.





Have you read this? https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/business/fabuloso-cleaner-recall/index.html. Artificial scents are always iffy; they're chemicals. Please be careful.
ReplyDeleteSorry for being anonymous but I cancelled my blogspot after ten years for wordpress. I don't want to open a new account just to reply to posts I read every day and bloggers I follow. One blog is enough. :) Please google the CNN article though.
ReplyDeleteOK, Anonymous- I will be careful I can not afford to get ill from some terrible bacteria! The bottles that I have here do not have the bad number above the label so maybe it is OK. I usually just use method to clean my floors- 100% safe and organic...
DeleteOh, I'm so glad you rescued these gorgeous papercuts. They're exquisite. And yes, I think pretty darned safe!
ReplyDeleteShe reckons that if she looses the only scissors she uses that that will be the end of her work.
DeleteThe paper art is very impressive. I like your flowers and the tiny crib with the dolls in it is cute.
ReplyDeleteI have cut out snowflakes and paperdolls but this woman Bit, takes it to an ethereal level!
Delete“For many years I made a lot of faults and I had to start all over again, but now my skills are so good that I don’t make faults any longer, fortunately,” she says.
ReplyDeleteOh my! She has achieved perfection! And yesterday I was thinking that only Mason jars are perfect. Says so right on the jar. But looking at her work, I have to agree with her assessment of her skills.
Dennis really drinks that? Well. I am sure he is saving tens and tens of dollars.
Your house looks all ready to me.
Dennis has a concoction in the morning, - weak weak coffee, butter or oil, chicken stock and bitter chocolate. that is his "good morning, glad to be alive" drink.
DeleteYour flowers are always so cheerful. The dolls next to the basket of flowers are way cute. The things you can find at the thrift never cease to amaze me.
ReplyDeleteThere are a couple of thrift stores in this town that I frequent too frequently!
DeleteKaren Frances here: Have a lovely and delightful celebration of the new babe, LS. The baby's breath so beautiful always, under all the conditions, and true to form look breathtaking (see what I did there?) for the shower. Those ornaments found in a sealed envelop--what a story of delight. As for artists being killed by their art...that's why I started wearing gloves when I paint, but oh, how I loved getting my fingers in the paint and pushing it around the canvas. Just like the taste of cake, for me, this delight exists only in my memory. Good thing I can still remember, for now. When I can no longer remember, then I likely won't care what kills me. We shall see.
ReplyDeleteThe lack of fresh air in studios is worrisome. I do not know how you can do your work with gloved fingers! Just not as satisfying I am sure of that!
Delete37paddington: such a fascinating post with moments of wry breakout humor. But so interesting about artists dying for their art. Writers bodies crumble as they sit motionless in chairs, roaming in their heads, only their fingers moving. I should have been a Sherpa instead. Maybe next life. Your flowers are so festive, a joyful spray. You and Mary make me want to go out and get some Fabuloso!
ReplyDeleteFabuloso is NOT organic- it is probably deadly, but in the fresh air , windows and doors open it smells like summer in a garden! It does the job, just don ot wash your car with it! You as a Sherpa, next go around, I will join you.
Deleteso far our art hasn't killed us. but then we quit doing the really bad stuff 5+ years ago, the architectural glass with the dust and chemical etch and the horrible uv glue and the nasty solvent to clean it up that made sores on the inside of my nostrils.
ReplyDeleteI love baby's breath, the flowers and the real thing. I spread out a packet of wildflower seeds one year and there was baby's breath in it but it did not reseed.