From there we went to a nice place above the long dock for lunch.
The sea was crashing , rather seemed to- along the sound the sea rarely crashes, more of a lap, so quiet we could only hear the waves shh-swhshing against the shore below. Until the damned coal train came- the tracks are right along the shore . Great for the engineers driving the train, it is a beautiful run, but anyone eating al fresco or any of the millionaires condos above get blasted.
These are the leftovers from last year. Chives about to flower, looking extremely cute with their little bobble heads.
In the morning I counted ten Lesser Gold Finches at the feeder and in the cherry tree.
Just passing through , I reckon, lighting up the tree with their striking golden ways...
They are called "lesser" not because they are less, as in inferior , but because they are smaller- they are short and round.
They do not mate for life, every year is a fresh romance. Life span of three to six years. They do recognize human faces so be sure to smile at them and at least look lovingly and fondly at them, they are quite sensitive.
This morning we talked about the plans for Cara's baby shower, she , in the middle, going to have a cousin for Flora Jane. We are all wishing that they would move to town so that we can adore her child as well as Flora Jane, I don't know...Flora is a tough act to follow.
-0-
Listening to tributes for Harry Belafonte, I remember how fond of this album I was when I was 19. I had five albums that I stacked on my stereo, this was one of them. Great study music, by the end of the album I would have at least made a dent in the mountain of work I had to have done by noon the next day. Every professor acted like his was the only class you might have to keep up with- you remember- so much reading, so much writing, so much research, so much coffee. Anyway, Nana Mouskouri's voice is another that makes one believe that humans might be OK....and that goddesses walk among us.










I didn't go to college so have no nightmare memories of professors and eternal homework, thank goodness. Hope the weather stays nice for the baby shower.
ReplyDeleteThanks river, I hope for good weather but...looks like rain from here. Might get a bit crowded but that is OK.
DeleteWhen spring comes to you it just BELLOWS in! Unbelievable how beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYou're so sweet to have the baby shower at your place. I know it's going to be perfect.
Seasons around the edges are my favorite, spring and autumn- stunning, brief, abundant! Winter takes up most of the calendar though, becomes challenging in the long cold dark damp ick. The shower will be just fine, The girls are remarkable !
DeleteI was never a Harry Belafonte fan. fabulous nursery. makes me want to drive out to the Brookwood nursery run by the disable adult community where the residents do it all from poking little seeds in starter pots to selling flourishing plants.
ReplyDeleteThe flowers looks so beautiful there. Spring is so full of wonderful colors, like those sweet lesser goldfinches. Just seeing them reminds me of when we had our bird feeders up in Port Townsend.
ReplyDeletePity I did not know you when you were up here.
DeleteBelafonte was amazing - his integrity and voice together made quite a lovely inspiring package. Plus he was the handsomest man in the room which sent my 19 year old hormones racing! Calypso music as well! Yep, he was the entire enchilada - we were so lucky to have had him in our same space and time-for so long.
ReplyDeleteMy parents had just about every album Belafonte recorded, including that one. What a marvelous man he was. RIP
ReplyDeleteHe was indeed, he walked the talk- so well and gracefully!
DeleteIn addition to being gifted and really good looking, he was not a worthless celebrity. He used his fame to try to advance better conditions for Black people. Did you see Beetle Juice? They used Day O in it, which was amusing.
ReplyDeleteBeetle Juice was one of our faves, watched it so many time when Erik was little, I could watch it many times more!!
DeleteNow THAT is a garden center -- I need to get back to mine. And oh, I loved Belafonte, his music, his way of being.
ReplyDeleteNana Mouskouri is still alive -- 88 years old!
ReplyDeleteWhat a haul from the garden center! Our chives are also putting forth buds.
Beautiful nursery! I love visiting them, but rarely buy anything because it all seems so healthy and pretty. In my case, why ruin a good thing?
ReplyDelete